It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:01 am

Post subject: 250 motor had serious issues not turning over
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Hello buggy crew,

My daughters buggy is now back in my shop in need of serious repair. She was out riding one day and the buggy quit on her and wouldn't fire back up. I didn't think anything of it until I charged the battery and tried to start it myself.

The buggy struggled big trying to crank over but after 2-3 revolutions it would stop and the relay would click. Followed by just clicking and know starter engagement. I took of the belt cover and took the belt off. Followed by the clutch to see what was going on.

I tried to turn the motor over by hand and it would not complete one cycle as it would get stuck at what seemed like at the top end of the cycle. So I took out the spark plug with no luck.

So I took out the starter and tested it on the bench with no load of course and it turned over just fine, however, we know that it may still be bad. Now I think for sure I need to get a new starter solenoid for sure, but this was not solving the issue of the motor turning over. So I took the Valve head off to look at the piston. After taking the cam out as it was a real pain, I was able to hold the chain and turn the motor over.

So where do I go from here? I am not convinced we solved anything and wonder where to go from here. Anybody have a service manual I can buy, or help with next steps. Now I know I will need new head gaskets for sure. Was wondering what else I need to get.

I will also need to know the steps on putting the cam back in correctly with the motor. Should we get a new timing chain? Maybe it skipped gears, can the crank timing gear be messed up, is it easy to get too? The chain tension-er looks to be a pain in the patooshki to work on. Should I get a new piston kit?

Please help guys. Thanks

Post subject: Re: 250 motor had serious issues not turning over
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:58 am 
Aftermarket Dealer

Hi, so what do you think was jamming it up? was the timing chain that tight? you said the cam was hard to get out? did you remove the tensioner first? the tensioner is easy to deal with. was there sign's of a valve contacting the piston? (if timing chain jumped) take a good look at everything look for anything that may have locked it up. You can download a manual from my website (link below) and I stock a few parts for them also.

Dune 150

If it was easy, Everyone would do it.

http://www.BrandXmotoParts.com

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:59 am 
Buggy Addict

Do you see any marks on top of the piston where the valves may have been hitting? As for the sprocket on the crank, that item is a press fit and I am not sure you can buy it by itself. You will have to pull the side cover off the engine where the flywheel is and pull the flywheel and starter drive clutch off to see the condition of that sprocket. You will need the special tool to pull that flywheel. The chain tensioner is not a big deal. What I usually do when I put it back together is pull the plug out of the end and this allows you to push the plunger back into the housing when you release the little catch pawl. After you bolt it back on the cylinder then install the spring and plug. Inspect that teeth on the tensioner plunger for damage as this is a common problem.

Polaris Dark side ride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

budrizer wrote:
Hi, so what do you think was jamming it up? was the timing chain that tight? you said the cam was hard to get out? did you remove the tensioner first? the tensioner is easy to deal with. was there sign's of a valve contacting the piston? (if timing chain jumped) take a good look at everything look for anything that may have locked it up. You can download a manual from my website (link below) and I stock a few parts for them also.

The motor has never been opened up, nor has the timing chain tension-er been adjusted. How do you adjust the timing chain tension-er? No, I was not able to take the tension off the chain. I did take the bolt out which has the spring in it. However, this did not relieve tension!

I am thinking the same thing about the valves hitting the top of the piston. I have no idea how the timing chain would of jumped teeth other then the timing chain stretched too far, but you think the tension-er would of kept that from happening. I definitely need the service manual and will download now. Where is the starting clutch located at? Could that of caused the issue as well?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:49 pm 
Buggy Addict

The tensioner has a pawl that holds a piston in place that the spring pushes against the piston to remove slack in the chain. The piston will go out but the pawl keeps it from going back in. You don't need to release the tension to pull the cam but will need to either remove it or push the pawl down so you can push the piston back in. It is easier to remove it to do this.

Polaris Dark side ride