It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:48 pm

Post subject: Boost Bottles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:58 am 
Initiated

What does everybody think?

Adding a boost bottle will add 15 to 20% Horse power at the bottom end of your power band at steady throttle by bringing up torque and horse power sooner in the RPM range, save 10 to 15% in gas consumption, cause your engine to run smoother with less engine vibration. It will make the engine wake up at lower RPM's by increasing throttle response and acceleration. You will notice a gain in top end speed of 3-5 MPH. The boost bottle will store unburned fuel vapors in the form of atomized fuel. It will then provide a sudden boost when the throttle is opened.

Post subject: Boost Bottle
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:01 am 
Initiated

It's function is to absorb & release pressure pulses within the intake vein, assisting engine breathing. Now an explanation of exactly what goes on involves a lot of physics and a good understanding of fluid dynamics & pressure zones, but can be explained rather easily. During the intake stroke, air is sucked through the intake manifold and into the port at a considerable velocity. Because of this velocity, the air is said to have relative inertia. Now, when the intake valve closes, the kinetically charged air suddenly has nowhere to go, creating a high-pressure area. Naturally, the air wants to release its pressure in the easiest way possible, so it tries to shoot back out the way it came, creating a pressure wave in the opposite direction we want it. Then no sooner dose the wave begin to travel, the intake valve suddenly opens again leaving the motor to try and pull the pressure wave back in again. This dramatically effects low RPM, wastes energy and kills low-end performance. Now the same engine, but with a BOOST BOTTLE. Air goes whistling down the manifold until the intake valve closes. The air, still all charged up with energy tries to escape back up the manifold but is met with a small port that has a residual vacuum. This vacuum being caused by the previous suction of the intake stroke, sucks most of the pulse inside the Boost Bottle, storing much of the pulse’s energy. The intake valve then suddenly opens, creating a low-pressure area outside of the Boost Bottle. The gasses then shoot out of the Boost Bottle, directly into the intake system as a pressure pulse, instead of having to be pulled in by the piston. More air is then also pulled in from the manifold to completely fill the cylinder… Thus giving you an additional boost of power.

boostbottleindustries.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:42 pm 
Buggified

In theory is sounds good. The intakes on the 150's are so small that mounting the thing would be a nightmare. Are you just suggesting the idea or is there an application out there that already has one for it?

RH

Carter GX150IIR, Progigy Clutch, 9 gr rollers, KOSO variator, 1500 RPM spring, CVT snorkel, K&N filtered crankcase+trans vents, Red neck intake w/ uni filter, modified DLX muffler, 132 jet, drilled and shimmed slide, hot coil, hp CDI unit, skid plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:35 pm 
Buggy Crazed

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If the thing is properly jetted there is no excess vapor to store. On the other hand it has to be at least as effective as wrapping magnets around the fuel line to straighten the molecules and putting the tornado inducer in the air stream!

Let me see if I understand this. The intake valve opens and the air goes rushing that way, but some of it says lets take a left and go up the boost bottle because that vacuum is much better. Then we'll hang here till the valve opens and dash for the cylinder, but we have to hurry because there is more vapor on the way to take our place!

Think about it! Seems to me that when the valve closes a that kinetic body of air is going to compress right behind the intake valve and before it can think about changing direction the valve is already opening. These karts don't even think about starting to move till they hit 3k rpms. I'll get one when I see a boost bottle sticking out of a NASCAR hood!

Seriously, these people make their living b coming up w/ gobblety gook that sounds plausible.

There would be a boost bottle on all cars if it wasn't for the big oil company conspiracy!

Ok, I'm done venting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:38 pm 
Admin

im4seven wrote:
There is no such thing as a free lunch. If the thing is properly jetted there is no excess vapor to store. On the other hand it has to be at least as effective as wrapping magnets around the fuel line to straighten the molecules and putting the tornado inducer in the air stream!

Let me see if I understand this. The intake valve opens and the air goes rushing that way, but some of it says lets take a left and go up the boost bottle because that vacuum is much better. Then we'll hang here till the valve opens and dash for the cylinder, but we have to hurry because there is more vapor on the way to take our place!

Think about it! Seems to me that when the valve closes a that kinetic body of air is going to compress right behind the intake valve and before it can think about changing direction the valve is already opening. These karts don't even think about starting to move till they hit 3k rpms. I'll get one when I see a boost bottle sticking out of a NASCAR hood!

Seriously, these people make their living b coming up w/ gobblety gook that sounds plausible.

There would be a boost bottle on all cars if it wasn't for the big oil company conspiracy!

Ok, I'm done venting!

You said the same thing I was thinking. I just didn't want to blow holes into this theory without further research. You forgot to add the tinfoil to your phone to increase reception and add RF shielding to your money so the government doesn't track your wealth...

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:22 am 
Buggy Crazed

pghruby wrote:
im4seven wrote:

Ok, I'm done venting!

You said the same thing I was thinking. I just didn't want to blow holes into this theory without further research. You forgot to add the tinfoil to your phone to increase reception and add RF shielding to your money so the government doesn't track your wealth...

See, there you go again. Just proves a little information is a dangerous thing. EVERYBODY knows that the tin foil is for making hats so that the aliens/government can't read your mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:56 pm 
Buggified

OK I don't think it is feasable on our applications but he has something to work with. Here lies the problem. Any power increase could only be noticed on a dyno and even that would be so minute that even that would be hard to see without digital equipment. The only thing that I worked out of his description was evening out the intake pulses to smooth out idle and off idle throttle positioning. Even the straightening of the fuel moluciles you mentioned as a gimic worked but not what they were advertising it for. It did not increase power just by adding it but it did reduce emissions slightly when used correctly. That said an efficient engine can produce more power. Don't bash the idea at first glance. Just think what people thought of the Wright brothers and their "flying Machine". It may not be big power but it is a start.

RH

Carter GX150IIR, Progigy Clutch, 9 gr rollers, KOSO variator, 1500 RPM spring, CVT snorkel, K&N filtered crankcase+trans vents, Red neck intake w/ uni filter, modified DLX muffler, 132 jet, drilled and shimmed slide, hot coil, hp CDI unit, skid plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:39 pm 
Admin

fireman1 wrote:
OK I don't think it is feasable on our applications but he has something to work with. Here lies the problem. Any power increase could only be noticed on a dyno and even that would be so minute that even that would be hard to see without digital equipment. The only thing that I worked out of his description was evening out the intake pulses to smooth out idle and off idle throttle positioning. Even the straightening of the fuel moluciles you mentioned as a gimic worked but not what they were advertising it for. It did not increase power just by adding it but it did reduce emissions slightly when used correctly. That said an efficient engine can produce more power. Don't bash the idea at first glance. Just think what people thought of the Wright brothers and their "flying Machine". It may not be big power but it is a start.

RH

Some auto engines use multiple length intake runners to compensate for various RPM, but I just don't see how the physics could work with this bottle.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:45 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Quote:
Some auto engines use multiple length intake runners to compensate for various RPM, but I just don't see how the physics could work with this bottle.

One engine that does that is the 2000 and later VW 12V VR6 motor. The intake manifold has a set of long and short runners, and it switches from longer runners for low rpm torque to shorter runners for high rpm power by using a flapper valve to redirect the air between the two sets of intake runners. Its sometimes called VGI or variable geometry intake.

What the OP is posting about is different has more to do with intake pulse tuning theory. This bottle idea is not going to work all intake pulses reflect themselves back towards the valve at the end of the runner, it does not go into intake plenums. This bottle is essentially a small plenum, the intake pulse will die at this plenum. Pulses are dynamic things they are constantly 'moving' and losing their energy. You cant 'store' an intake pulse in a bottle. Then its not a pulse, it just becomes a bunch of fuel vapors in a bottle.
And as far as the wave trying to 'escape' the opening of the valve on the next intake stroke, you could solve that by constructing a properly tuned intake manifold. a manifold that has runner length that are determined according to the harmonic frequencies required for the desired rpm level. If tuned to the correct runner length the intake pulse from the inatke valve closing will return to the intake valve as a rebounding pulse from the end of the runner, and it arrives just as the intake valve opens again forcing more air into the chamber. A 5-10 psi 'supercharging effect' can be achieved on non-boosted engines. The rpm at which peak horsepower and torque occur are altered through the different harmonic frequencies achieved by different lengths of runners (like the VGI intake does).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 am 
Initiated

i actually had heard of the theory of these boost bottles before. im not sure they make as much difference as some people claim, but i think they might help a little. when i upgraded my cv carb to a vm26 i decided to take care of the vacuum fitting by putting a bottle on it. i took a co2 bottle from a bb gun and put a fitting in it with some epoxy. i think it might have smoothed the engine out a litte, and maybe it idles a bit smoother now. im not an intake expert, so the bottle might not be the correct size etc, but it didnt make any major difference, but i would say it did make a small one maybe. thats my $.02

-michael

Mikuni VM26
Bando Coil
Blaster Shocks (R)

*Ancient* Manco Fox Pro II with a burned up motor :( FIXED :)

GoPed Dealer

Piles of Gopeds and parts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:38 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

what is this boost bottle you guys are talking about. NOS?

07 250 joyner, uni, 32 pummper carb, royal purpal synthetic oil, 15 gramm sliders, 2500 rpm clutch spring, 24'' itp mud lights, high peformance cam from web cam, ported head, r/d valve springs. "Dreem as if you live forever, live as if youl die today"

Post subject: Re: Boost Bottle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:27 am 
Initiated

no, its not NOS its a bottle that taps the intake manifold and does this |
|
\/
hrhstud wrote:
It's function is to absorb & release pressure pulses within the intake vein, assisting engine breathing. Now an explanation of exactly what goes on involves a lot of physics and a good understanding of fluid dynamics & pressure zones, but can be explained rather easily. During the intake stroke, air is sucked through the intake manifold and into the port at a considerable velocity. Because of this velocity, the air is said to have relative inertia. Now, when the intake valve closes, the kinetically charged air suddenly has nowhere to go, creating a high-pressure area. Naturally, the air wants to release its pressure in the easiest way possible, so it tries to shoot back out the way it came, creating a pressure wave in the opposite direction we want it. Then no sooner dose the wave begin to travel, the intake valve suddenly opens again leaving the motor to try and pull the pressure wave back in again. This dramatically effects low RPM, wastes energy and kills low-end performance. Now the same engine, but with a BOOST BOTTLE. Air goes whistling down the manifold until the intake valve closes. The air, still all charged up with energy tries to escape back up the manifold but is met with a small port that has a residual vacuum. This vacuum being caused by the previous suction of the intake stroke, sucks most of the pulse inside the Boost Bottle, storing much of the pulse’s energy. The intake valve then suddenly opens, creating a low-pressure area outside of the Boost Bottle. The gasses then shoot out of the Boost Bottle, directly into the intake system as a pressure pulse, instead of having to be pulled in by the piston. More air is then also pulled in from the manifold to completely fill the cylinder… Thus giving you an additional boost of power.

boostbottleindustries.com

Mikuni VM26
Bando Coil
Blaster Shocks (R)

GoPed Dealer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:37 pm 
Buggy Addict

Wait, isnt boost bottles for 2 strokes? Its for if excess gas comes out, it gets stored in the bottle until you reinject it. Something like that, i know its only for 2 strokes

BLADE DX GT

Post subject: Boost bottle
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:05 am 
Initiated

The 2 stroke had them for the high rpm, the reason you dont see them on v-8s is the other cylinders pull the air in there is a constent flow of air, on single cylinder or v twins with a carb for each cylinder there is not a constent flow of air. Start your buggy with out a air filter and place your hand close to the intake at a idle and you can feel a slight pulsation of air, and some fuel injected vehicles had "boost bottles" or as they call them air resinators. The basic design of the boost bottle allows for a constent flow of air wich is how they get a smoother running engine, the size of the bottle is very important. I dont think it will add tire spinning tq or 5 mph but it might help 1% and its cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:55 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Highscores: 1
Here is an example of a boost bottle. Someone should test one and see if they make a noticable difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230203488925

1995 KDX200
FMF Silencer and Pipe, Bark Busters, 220cc Wiseco Piston, Skid Plate, Race Tech Fork Springs, FRP Chain Guide, Race Tech Shock, FRP Handlebar Clamp, Answer Alumilite Handlebars, Scott Grips, Uni, Fork Guards, Number Plate,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:55 am 
Buggy Addict

Looks like a gimmick to me....
I'd have to have proof that it worked before I got one.
They could start by publishing some decent engineering drawings and white paper on it.

If someone gets one and test it, be sure to post your results.

-

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:43 pm 
Initiated

i dont have one of those commercial made one from boost bottle industries or whatever, but i do have one that i made myself. im sure the size isnt right for my motor and im not an intake expert, but it did seem to smooth out the idle a little bit, and maybe the mid range and top. i dont think it would work with the pumper carbs, since they use the intake back pressure already, but i put it on when i upgraded to my vm26. i used a clear hose, and you can see the air rushing in and out as the motor runs. i will post a video shortly. I used an empty co2 bottle from an air gun and just put a fitting in it. it cost maybe $1 for the fitting.

-michael

Mikuni VM26
Bando Coil
Blaster Shocks (R)

GoPed Dealer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:42 pm 
Initiated

heres the video of my setup. you can kinda see the flow.

Attachments:
boostbottle.mov [11.27 MiB]
Downloaded 138 times

Mikuni VM26
Bando Coil
Blaster Shocks (R)

GoPed Dealer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:42 pm 
Buggy Addict

Interesting...

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:57 am 
Buggy Addict

I know for a fact its a 2 stroke app only, no point on a 4 stroke. Why not just put a tornado in, or an electric supercharger? its all the same as a placebo

BLADE DX GT