It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:55 pm

Post subject: Check out my riding area!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:25 pm 
Initiated

Hello I live in MA. and im new to buggynews. I just wanted to share some videos I made on my 2011 250GKA 2 Spider Go Kart. I have had it for 1 1/2 months, and I love it, Riding a mini buggy is awsome. Team LCR , check it out and let me know. share your riding experience
first video we caught a coyote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD7aA4u2ttk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O6umihXfNM

Post subject: Re: Check out my riding area!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 pm 
Buggy Addict

nice what camera is that?

Joyner 650
Purple
Looking at dust in the rear view mirror

Baja 150 in the grave..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 pm 
Buggy Addict

Looks as if you have a great area to ride! -Pat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:30 pm 
Buggy Addict

Yep, nice hunk of land you got there and that coyote sure did run fast :D

09' Joyner 250 SV
HID headlights - LED roof lights -LED tail lights - Endrigo head/cam - Lexx muffler - Robertson header - ITP rims - 25" Bighorns - Warn 3000 winch- camo wrap-Walker Evan shocks - Dr Pulley variator - 34mm KLX250SF carb

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:19 am 
Initiated

nice what about the camera, didn't seem to be bouncing around much

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 am 
Initiated

the camera i used was a kodak easy share c533 digital camera. I made a couple of videos with my passenger holding the camera but it was way to shakey, so i used a couple of zip ties and mounted it to the frame of the machine and makes great video. ya there are alot of coyotes around here for some reason. I have been seeing them more and more. thanx for the feedback guys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:57 pm 
Initiated

i thought you might have used duck tape red green style.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:56 am 
Buggy Addict

Quote:
Check out my riding area...

Good vids of some Cool trails :) Really enjoy riding tite wooded trails like that with the fam. Our sport is growing & its great to see we all still have neat places to ride, even all the way across the US from me. Areas which we are steadily losing ! One thing I know is if we lose the rite to ride particular areas, no one ever replaces it with oppurtunity elsewhere And one thing they aint making more of is Land !!

Can I ask u a couple of questions,
Were those your fields you cut across in between the trail sections ??
Did the one area with fields on both sides really need another road, there were already two paralell trails/rds up thru the mid of that field) ??

Hope so (as in you had proper permission)
cause if not;
it sure looked to me like you were driving on a freshly cut couple of hay fields (not just a meadow) & if you arent the active farmer, leasee, shareholder, or owner of this property (whom is most likely waiting for hay to dry before he can make hay for feed, I could clearly see where sumone had swathed or mowed making windrows)

If not...
Im confident of two things, someone is not very pleased with you, to say the least & damaging personal property only helps shut off access to riding areas and does nothing to advance a sport we all love !!!
I sincerly hope I'll owe you an apoligy lcrprez, I did draw sev conclusions based only on what I saw and honestly having very few facts to base a conclusion on (I have shamed myself before, being less than informed & hope this is the case here)
But; if not I at least I made a point (& got to vent) over similar issues Ive delt with as a farmer who makes his living off the land while also being a "dirt fun" enthusiast. Its very important to be aware of where we riding and respect others property (as if it were own own) when in doubt find out, and at the very least tread lightly using existing roads or trails.
My need to 'vent' or in many cases educate, comes from examples like these...
There are dunes & trails close by sum of my fields (actually this is not a public riding area) but; for the most part, the area is not 'Problematic' and is not being patroled or access publicly disallowed by the land owner; the Port of Pasco, managed by the local airport & us locals would like to keep it this way -- open to the public, myself & future generations (like my kids & grandkids).
I have literally had members of a local 4x4 club deside to have midnite mud bogs inside wet areas of my fields, but told me they didnt feel they were doing much damage, altho by the second & third Spring this took place on one particular field their excuse doesnt hold much water; so to speak. the damage to my alfalfa crop the first year was extensive, the hay dies & weeds naturally replace it, the ground becomes hard packed during the growing season & a swampy area with no production continues to get larger each yr (my alfalfa is planted in the Fall of 1st yr & we harvest same seedling crop for the next 3-4 years) thus making my profitablity a big fat zero for the 3+ yrs on this 'expanding' area of this field...
Or
on sev occations 4 wheeler & even dirt bike folks just felt like they wanted a shorter route to 'wherever' by simply driving thru my fields rather than around them.
Often (probably mostly) these folks arent doing this for vandalish, evil, or spitefull reasons; but simply didnt feel they were doing harm (or simply never even gave it a second thought; aka Lack of Common Sense).

We all need to do our best to help educate, and patrol ourselves when it comes to Private Property & others rights; in order for our sport to thrive, we need public riding areas kept open. We fight a tuff enuff battle & are already outnumbered by the eco community who would completely shut us out of All public grounds.
Sorry for the lengthy post & sure not wishing to pick on or pi$s anyone of my fellow 'Dirt Fun enthusists' off, just wishing to help educate threw some of my personal experiences.

Tj's o7JoynerSand Viper65o (Cheri 8ooEFI swap-soon)
G-mans o8 HH15o
06Talon GSR15o
GTR250s-sold

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am 
Initiated

nicely said Team Farm,
as a (no common sense) youngster I would ride with other friends on small tracks near Alfalfa fields. Every now and then we would take a turn too wide or overshoot a jump and end up in the field. What stopped us from doing this is the farmer coming out and shooting us with Salt Rock (Ouch)!!! Totally understand where you're coming from.

'06 Joyner Sand Devil 250 (for sale)
'86 Honda TRX250R !!STOLEN!!
'91 Suzuki DR650S
'09 Tao Tao ATA125 ATV
'08 SunL 110cc ATV

Semper Fi

Beer is cheaper than gas......DRINK don't Drive!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:48 pm 
Initiated

Great observation TEAM FARM, you truly know your fields. I have studied the zoning and property maps in my area very thoroughly, just to avoid some angry nieghbor shooting rock salt at me for riding through his yard. This area is all state land, the local state hospital has numerous fields in the area. All the wooded areas are open land zoned for heavy industry owned by the town. around that is all wet lands. I have spoken with all types of riders and local law enforcement and niether seem to have any problems. if anything they encourage it, I will post more videos to show more of the area, some abandoned cars and a nice dirt track. As far as land goes, there is no free land anywere, it is always owned by someone. whether it be town, province, county, state, or private. so it is impossable to gain PERMISSION every were you ride. But at the same time all the riders and the law enforcement that I have encountered in my travels always say the same thing, dont do anything stupid and there will be a place to ride right here. And if you witness anything stupid being done to notify the right people to preserve this riding area. thanx for the comments. keepem coming. Al

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:17 am 
Buggy Addict

I applaud your research effects into tracking the areas ownership (sounds as tho your correct, it would be a daunting and unnessacary task to obtain written permision from the many various ownerships which obviously are aware & allowing riding) & a great extra step of communicating with local law enforcement (apparently they have had few or no complaints). All good from the ownership side of the land, your abiding with in their rules & wishes.
Again I applaud you for this. If I were the lease holder & had met & known of the time and effort you put into trying to make sure it was ok to ride "between" wooded areas "around" these fields, I would have gladly given my permission also (until I saw your vid or had witnessed wut you did)

Now...
I did have two valid questions you have made no comment to & Id like to get u to think about these.
1)driving across a harvested field, crops drying to be harvested
2)how many roads are needed for you to pass by to the next riding area (you surely with good conscience cant believe these fields are "part of the allowable riding area" Someone swathed that hay, & Im certain it wasnt to watch you enjoy driving on it

Al; can i relate my issue in an angle you may better understand,
Apparently the local state hospital owns these fields; you surely dont believe the hospital owns the machinery that swathed the windrows you rode across chasing that coyote? Altho Im not soon to be the "Tenant" or "Lease holder" of the fields in question, that Im concerned about, but lets "assume" it is my farming business working, mantaining, harvesting, trying to make a living off crops from these fields.
Im (as the leasee) very unset at what I saw in ur vid !!! you without hesitation, as fast as u could, with no concern for the crop damage you could be doing, decided to drive over crops rather than use the trail/rd provided for u. chasing this coyot was more important to u than using sum common curticy or employing some common sense. This is short sighted poor judgement on your part, aka Stupid (sorry but quoting your words " if you witness anything stupid being done to notify the right people to preserve this riding area")

FYI after hay is swathed (aka the windrows u drove extensively 'across' its one thing to have driven with the rows to avoid driving on crop, but you drove across much of this field) after hay is swathed it has to 'cure/ dry' for sev days - a week or more depending on weather, conditions & any other extinuating circumstances such as being driven on. Air needs to get under the hay or it doesnt cure, driving on it obviously makes this worse; the longer the hay sits unharvested (cause it hasnt cured) the lower its $ value is. In case u didnt realize this a farmer (as in any occupation) is in business to make money.

Sorry buddy, but that Is Crop Damage !!!

I cant believe you cant see this...
I also have to point out the "Crop Damage" you were doing by decreasing the amount of acres i can harvest by "Widening" no scratch that, you werent just widening you felt the need to help make a 3rd road thru the middle of my other hay field. Why ??? Let me guess, its smoother over there in the field, yes ? Have you noticed how crops die after being driven on much, as soon as you finish making this third road by killing the crop that once grew there, it will also get ruff & i suppose you'll be widening out "your" road system even further. Why? somehow you feel this is ok, someone else started it I spose, but isnt this maybe another instance of (again quoting your words) "if you witness anything stupid being done"

I said early on I was 'very upset'
Well; now Im Furious (1st the coyote chase damage, then shortly after that you cut thru the corner of field to get on a wide sandy whooped trail & final straw being ur need for a smooth freeway type rd system in the mid of another field). And becuz Im certain your not the only one willing to damage my crops (evidenced thru the extensive "unnesacary" road system thru my field that others surely started), I will now close your access thru my leased property, and because im quit certain I'll now have tresspassers ignoring my right to limit access thru my leased property, My next move would be to actively work with my city & county commisioners & local law enforcement to help stop this "Property Damage" to my "Crops" This often times in the end, will effectively lead to closing the entire area off to riding.
This is only an example portrayed from a farmers point of view, but seriously, this is what often happens in such a set of circumstances; & furthermore Al many in my bizness R soo sick of these type issues, your vid holds enuff evidence to sue u for the crop damages (sure not worth alot of $, they were small windrows do to being last cutting late in the season , but does that matter in the fact u shouldnt be in this field at all. And after extended problems it becomes more about the example & precident.

I am an avid dirt fun enthusiast (as many in my occupation are) Bcuz its fun, I am a agri-businessman Bcuz its how I make a living,
if I were forced to eliminate one of these activities because of conflict it wouldnt be the one that provides for my Fam & I.
We can have both; w/out conflict, but you need to your part 'in your words' > "anything stupid being done to notify the right people to preserve this riding area." Who are u planning to notify about your contribution to the crop damage that took place in order to help "preserve this riding area"
Jeff
Surely some of this makes sense to you, it does not matter what other riders in the area do or think, Wrong is wrong, and driving on Any crop land w/out direct perrmission from the man who owns the 'crop' Is Wrong !!

G-mans o8 HH15o
06Talon GSR15o
GTR250s-sold

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:12 am 
Initiated

wow, you said it. you have made your points very well, I have a whole different outlook about those fields now. to comment on your questions...all roads/trails are existing roads/trails even the double trail that i carelessly rode accross, alot of percipatation this year has mother nature taking over. in your profession you yourself know that a tractor and or trucks and other farm machines are alot wider than atv's and gokarts, thus leaving a wider road, just cause some grass is growing in on the road does not mean it is not there, the only time that i went off trail was to chase a coyote...(which i admit it was a spur of the moment thing to show off for the camera.) but now that i have been enlightend in agriculture, and hay fields i have a new understanding for this and will be more aware of crops and try to stay on the roads/trails. I did not relize the trouble that i could be causing...maybe the riding problem is more of an issue for you out there in washington, but the most trouble that i have had to deal with is people trying to stop me to just to get a look at the buggy. police included. but im not saying that what i did was right, at all. but i guess the state and the local authorities and owners of these fields and this land, i think they really could care less. because if they did im sure thay would start the massive cleanup it would take to clean the forested area of abandoned cars, tons of constuction debry, tires, trash, and the piles and piles of beer cans and fire wood or whatever else maybe out there. the last thing on anybodys mind is little ole me, or atv's and dirtbikes driving over some grass, im sure there would be an uproar if it was alfalfa, or corn, but it is grass. but it is still wrong, like i said i will be more aware of the crop situation(hay), and stay off the grass. Al

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:41 pm 
Buggy Addict

lcrprez
I did not mean to single u out, for in truth you have impressed me, willing to look at this type issue from another angle. you did more than most ever would to verify your compliance with all the obvious stakeholders in this instance. even tho i laid it on pretty heavy. if all riders were as acceptant to recognizing and minimizing potential problems/issues like this as u are, there would never be any real problems.
im proud to call you my friend Al, and again i want to acknowledge your dilegence, patience with me and efforts to contribute to the preservation of the future of dirt fun. you are definetely the kind of peeps that help create an envirnment of cooperation and acceptance that absolutely contributes to helping preserve your riding area as well the big picture in the future of our sport !!!
thank u and im sorry if i seemed overly harsh.
your friend
Jeff

G-mans o8 HH15o
06Talon GSR15o
GTR250s-sold

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:41 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Team Farm, Blah, blah, blah, is what I thought at first. I even
skipped most of your rambles. Then I thought to myself,
Team Farm is a pretty down to earth guy who's company
I enjoyed at the bash. So I went back and read your words
thoroughly. I didn't read blah, blah, blah it made sense. I tread
lightly anyways but, now I will think more of how I ride. I
basically ride wherever I want. I'm not trying to sound like I
don't care. Because I do. I own property so I know. I don't
care who rides on my land. Just don't screw it up. Out here
there a few people who give us a hard time just because
" It's mine and I don't want anyone else to enjoy what I paid
for". For those people _ _ _ _ them. But, what you said is
100% right.

'09 Joyner SV
'04 SunL 150B
'00 Yamaha tt 250
'05 Yamaha Kodiak 4x4
' ? Tomberline 150
Team BillyGoat. See the world from a whole new level.

2012 bash site 15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:10 pm 
Buggy Addict

Bill
thank u, I think LOL

Blah, blah, blah, And...
I ramble on #-o
:D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: (rolling my eyes at myself)
just Bcuz each one of my posts may take up a whole page :roll: :lol:
But im aware that U R rite, i really cant do anything 1/2 ash including my rants !! I apoligize to all my friends here at BN for my long windedness, I type & then read what i said and often feel as if my words could be taken wrong or out of context; sooo i usually adjective my posts to death.
In my mind I defend myself calling this Intensity or Passion in what I believe, My Wifey Im sure would simply agree with u Bill; and label this bad habit I have as 'Rambling'

I only hope I listen with as much passion as i preach/Beeitch with :D
Jeff

G-mans o8 HH15o
06Talon GSR15o
GTR250s-sold

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:57 pm 
Initiated

Jeff no rambles, I have enjoyed this thread and have looked at my riding in a whole different lite. i never really looked at it the way you say it. I am still new to all of this, and def open for suggestions and critisism, and new ideas, here here. Al

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:03 pm 
Initiated

Good reading and instructions on riding and agriculture, now everyone show be able to do both. How about we all respect people's property and the land that we ride on, where I live you either ride on the land you own or PAY to ride on someone else's land, simple as that. Usually state or city land that is free to ride on is trashed by idiots. So use common sense and proper judgement.

'06 Joyner Sand Devil 250 (for sale)
'86 Honda TRX250R !!STOLEN!!
'91 Suzuki DR650S
'09 Tao Tao ATA125 ATV
'08 SunL 110cc ATV

Semper Fi

Beer is cheaper than gas......DRINK don't Drive!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:21 pm 
Buggified

Good reading!
I haven't found any public places to ride in my area, and riding anywhere else is all about who you know.
When I was growing up, it was a way different story.
There was plenty of local farm land with field roads here and there.
As kids these were out bike and motorcycle road systems and they were pretty extensive.
I do remember staying out of the fields as much as possible.
It was always better to have the local farmers for friends!

'08 Crossfire 150R- Alive and well! :)
'07 Baja reaction 150 - Still Kicking!
'07 Roketa GK-17 - Paint work in progress!
'05 Yerf Dog Model 3206 - Red headed stepchild!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 pm 
Buggy Addict

One of the things Ive always really liked about hanging out on BN; is the quality of the people here !!!
:) :)

G-mans o8 HH15o
06Talon GSR15o
GTR250s-sold

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 pm 
Buggy Addict

Jeff- thanks for making everyone more aware of our obligations as riders... you know I missed it.. the whole coyote scene went over my head like a cloud (proves I've been away from home too long)

The local BLM has a private lease (cattle) When a fence was open I used to leave it open.. then it dawned on me that they don't push cattle to new area here like they do in Idaho... some people were just too lazy to close the gate. When we become aware of these situations, we can help the Farmers and Ranchers by closeing thier gates making sure others do and put a stop to those who would cause trouble for everyone.

I remember many gates in the Whitebird area always unlocked for hunters, riders, etc that begain being locked simply because some people couldn't be bothered by closing them. It is more then a shame that a few can ruin it for so many.

lcrprez I applaud your efforts towards land respect and you come across to me as someone once aware- is dilligent in the respect of others rights. We can all take something away from this.... Farmers and Ranchers read tracks well... if everytime they see our tracks they see effort to respect gates, land, etc maybe it will slow the tide of closeing riding area.- Pat