It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:06 pm 
Buggy Addict

PAY-IT-FORWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John :D

[color=#0000FF]http://www.northeastbuggy.com

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:48 pm 
Buggy Addict

How about.....(this will depend on the generousity of one of our dealers,or distributors) A raffle???? As in; a BUGGY RAFFLE! Would any dealers or distributors be interested in donating a buggy (of your choice) to raffle off with a portion of the proceeds going to the Steve Hopkins fund? Keep a percentage for your cost (or not) I think this will rake in more cash than a cookout.
This would be open to all members on buggy-news,not just those who come to the bash. Charge $10 or more for each ticket, buy as many as you want. I'm still up for the cookout,but this is for those who can't make it,who might want to do something also,Think about it..... A chance to WIN a new buggy! Plus an opportunity to something really cool for our founder's family,or some lucky family of a scholorship fund!

Just another idea,and something to think about. I personally would spend $100 on a ticket! I would even go so far as to pay for shipping(if I won) :D

Mike

"Engraver of really cool stuff"!

Social media, the "REAL" fake news!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:56 am 
Buggy Crazed

Now thats the best idea i've heard so far, I think if we
charged 20.00 a chance, that would take care of the
cost of the buggy itself. Any extra could go towards
shipping, around 200.00 the rest go to family. So if
100 people bought a ticket, thats 2000.00. Myself, I
will buy 5 chances, which is 100.00 right there. If 20
members bought 5 chances thats 2000.00 Have to see
what everybody thinks about the idea. I like it...!!!!

07 Sand Viper 250 ( SOLD )

89 Honda Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 pm 
Buggy Addict

I love the idea! Just set a ticket price depending on the buggy to raffle! I know a few blades are high dollar, but if someone could get a cheaper model or maybe up the ante a bit, I would gladly spend 100 of my vacation fund for the Hopkins family and a couple chances at another toy!!!

Anyone else????

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am 
Admin

I think you'd sell more tickets at a lower price...like $5. Most people have a total in mind they will invest in a raffle so if the ticket cost is lower, they buy more tickets and raise their odds. If I could only part with $20 I might not buy just one ticket knowing I only had one chance to win.

2 Polaris RZRs & a Dune 150. Ridge Runner--Gone. Yerfdog 3206--Gone (but you never forget your 1st!).
Buggy pictures, mods, ideas, how-to's:
http://tinyurl.com/8ltm8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:04 pm 
Buggy Addict

guy48065 wrote:
I think you'd sell more tickets at a lower price...like $5. Most people have a total in mind they will invest in a raffle so if the ticket cost is lower, they buy more tickets and raise their odds. If I could only part with $20 I might not buy just one ticket knowing I only had one chance to win.

There are legal requirements in each state that dictate who and how a raffle can be conducted. In Missouri I believe the only organizations that can hold raffles, legally, are non-profit organizations and churches.

Missouri AG's Web Site wrote:

Raffles, sweepstakes
A raffle is a game in which a participant buys a ticket for a chance at a prize, with the winner determined by a random drawing to take place at a location and date printed on the ticket.

Raffles and sweepstakes are popular money-making efforts. Missouri law is clear, however, concerning which groups may legally sponsor these promotions.

In 1998 Missouri voters adopted a constitutional amendment allowing raffles and sweepstakes to be sponsored by groups recognized under federal law as charitable or religious

I've searched the Missouri web site and I can't find any information that spells out the exact rules regarding raffles, nor can I find what State organization is in charge of raffles.

I've been involved in hundreds of raffles and without fail each state has specific regulations of how to conduct a raffle. It typically requires a permit, defined tickets, and record keeping. The fines if you get busted can be small to quite large.

It's a good idea, however someone will need to administer the raffle. Others can work on getting the prize(s). Typically the raffle tickets have to explicitly details what prizes are going to be raffled, how much each ticket is and when the raffle is going to occur and by whom.

Is someone from Missouri able to look into this?

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:08 pm 
Buggy Addict

God bless you party pooper!!!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:43 pm 
Buggy Addict

WETSU wrote:
God bless you party pooper!!!! :lol:
Sorry, I just want to make sure that no one gets into any trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:23 am 
Buggy Addict

Hey it's cool. But I don't think anyone is going to profit from this,except for the recepient of the scholorship,and the winner. And the only thing that will happen in Mo. would be the drawing. All the money would be done here,and set up (I hope) at the school Steve went to for his Pharmacy degree. I would hope that this wouldn't be illegal.
This was a suggestion for all who wanted to participate before the bash,and then who's ever name or number was drawn at the bash would be notified when and how they could get their prize.
If the dealer or distributor would sell the buggy for cost,then again no profit. I may be pretty dumb about this but I've seen and tried for several raffles,that were not held by churches,or non profit orgs.
I never met Steve,and only had a few chats with him here at Buggynews,but I feel as though I have lost a relative,or at least a close freind.I would donate my own buggy,if it would make this possible! (not that it would make that great of a prize).

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:33 am 
Buggy Addict

Oh and I'd only charge $2.00 a chance...for this

Attachments:
File comment: my buggy at St.Joe
100_1574.JPG
100_1574.JPG [ 834.65 KiB | Viewed 4311 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:07 am 
Buggy Addict

WETSU wrote:
Hey it's cool. But I don't think anyone is going to profit from this,except for the recepient of the scholorship,and the winner. And the only thing that will happen in Mo. would be the drawing. All the money would be done here,and set up (I hope) at the school Steve went to for his Pharmacy degree. I would hope that this wouldn't be illegal.
This was a suggestion for all who wanted to participate before the bash,and then who's ever name or number was drawn at the bash would be notified when and how they could get their prize.
If the dealer or distributor would sell the buggy for cost,then again no profit. I may be pretty dumb about this but I've seen and tried for several raffles,that were not held by churches,or non profit orgs.
I never met Steve,and only had a few chats with him here at Buggynews,but I feel as though I have lost a relative,or at least a close freind.I would donate my own buggy,if it would make this possible! (not that it would make that great of a prize).

Mike

The regulations have nothing to do with profit or loss it has to do with the actual raflle.

I can't set up a raffle in Connecticut that has a drawing taking place in Missouri. The raffle would take place in Missouri regardless, therefore Missouri regulations would dictate what we would need to do.

If we really want to do this then I'll try to make contact with the Missouri Department of Revenue and find out exactly what needs to be done on our end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:31 pm 
Buggy Addict

I love the idea, and I think that would play sympathetic to the Missouri governing body that we are doing this as a memorial/scholarship thingy. I guess we would need a buggy, maybe some start-up $$ for the drawing and some advertising. Fist things first. If we are to get a legitimate drawing, then we need to get some participation or confirmation from a donor, and like Chris is saying, we need an OK to pick the winner in Missouri.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:49 pm 
Buggy Addict

Allright fellows...

I've contacted the State of Missouri Attorney General's office and have asked them for guidance.

I'll let you guys know what I find out.
-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:41 pm 
Buggy Addict

Thank you Chris. It mean a lot to all of us to be able to do ANYTHING for the Hopkins family. If it is a cool drawing that is fun, and beneficial to ANYONE who participates, then it is totally worth it!!! I hope they are welcoming and helpful in letting us have a bit of fun while helping out the Hopkins family!!!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:19 pm 
Buggy Addict

Thanks Chris, I may have a donor,but I do not want to say till I know for sure. It seems I have of problem with foot in mouth disease :lol: . But what I can tell you is...... IT WILL BE BRAND NEW!!! Now if anyone might be interested in being part of the donating of a buggy.....please feel free to join in!

Unless we have a for sure donor,none of this means anything!C'mon guy's,Talk to your distributors,see if any might be interested in donating,or letting a buggy go for cost to help out the cause.

MIKE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:16 pm 
Buggy Addict

Okay here's what the State of Missouri said about holding a raffle:
Quote:

Dear Mr. Dierkens:

Thank you for contacting this office regarding your intent to have a raffle. I regret, however, that I will be unable to provide you with a legal opinion regarding this matter. Under Missouri law, the Attorney General is precluded from rendering private legal advice or opinions other than in the performance of official duties. This office may only provide legal opinions when requested by duly elected or appointed officials of the state of Missouri upon questions of law relative to their respective offices or the discharge of their duties.

Accordingly, we cannot answer specific questions of individual citizens which are of a strictly private nature. Although we appreciate the confidence you have shown in our office by contacting us, I suggest that you contact a private attorney to discuss this matter.

Very truly yours,

JEREMIAH W. NIXON
Attorney General
Complaint Unit

I've called and asked several State Departments who I should talk to regarding raffle questions. This is the ONLY reply I've gotten in the last month.

At this point the next place to go is the county seat. Having spent the 1st 19 years of my life in MO this is one thing I never paid attention to.

At least in Connecticut I can go to the State's web-site and find answers to questions and if their not there I can get a response in as little as a few hours but never over a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:14 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Chris, Google is a wonderful thing!

http://ago.mo.gov/publications/gambling2.htm

I'd have to say that "legally" you can't do it.
Maybe you can get around it by allowing everyone to enter the raffle for free while standing next to a donation jar. There could be a "suggested amount" per ticket. People could give more or less. If somebody wanted to be a scumbag and insists on a free ticket you would just have to give it to him. WE know what the jar is for. The guy that doesn't want to give anything is the undercover guy from the AG's office! Of course I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know!

From the above website:

Raffles, sweepstakes
A raffle is a game in which a participant buys a ticket for a chance at a prize, with the winner determined by a random drawing to take place at a location and date printed on the ticket.

Raffles and sweepstakes are popular money-making efforts. Missouri law is clear, however, concerning which groups may legally sponsor these promotions.

In 1998 Missouri voters adopted a constitutional amendment allowing raffles and sweepstakes to be sponsored by groups recognized under federal law as charitable or religious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:24 pm 
Buggy Addict

so technically, we CAN hold a raffle, just gotta make sure it is a Not For Profit, or show documentation that it is for a scholarship fund or memorial fund. All we gotta do is make BN an NFP or "charitible" organization.

lol

Easy enough!! Who has experience with this?

I am totally for this idea. I would love to buy 3 or 4 tickets in a raffle for a new buggy. Anything to get a buggy and help out an awesome family all in the same time!!! Lets get the members squawkin!!!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 am 
Buggy Crazed

Don't know whats required to be "federally recognized". Got to believe it's in the to hard box. You can't sell a ticket to win a buggy, or a pack of gum for that matter. That's a raffle. You can only give away something in a drawing if no purchase required.

This from another page on the same website:

Overview of gambling
Gambling, with only a few exceptions, is illegal in Missouri. Those exceptions are restricted and highly regulated.

There are many types of gambling. Promotions that award prizes may be called contests, sweepstakes, lotteries, raffles, drawings or games. It is important to know the law and to understand what elements make a promotion illegal.

Three elements make up an illegal promotion: prize, chance and consideration

Prize is any benefit, cash or property awarded to a winner.
Chance means the winner is chosen by “luck” with little or no skill or ability involved.
Consideration is the exchange of something of value for the opportunity to participate in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:54 am 
Buggy Addict

what if we set up a paypal account online... Say in NJ... Then pick the winner from a jar at the meet??? That way all the monies and such are registered in NJ and delegated from NJ... The the bash is the announcement of the winner! Is that possible?????

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next