It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:43 am 
Initiated

I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with the choke on the Weber carb?

I had a heck of a time starting the machine but once I put a bag over the air filter it fired right up!!!

The choke lever fully engages but it doesnt seem to make a difference. Is there some sort of internal settings that I am missing?

Post subject: weber carb
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:01 pm 
Buggy Addict

hi, When you activate the choke you give it a little trottle this accuates a little cam on the choke circut. If this doesn't work you have to remove the carb. On the manifold side there is a choke cover carefully remove try not to damage the gasket, make sure all linkage is operating . The next thing is the accerreator pump circuit. When you open the throttle you should see a little squirt of gas in the venturi. You can go on weber website manual no. 95.0000.54 it was 19.00 its a great book lots of pictures and schematics breakdowns plus every tuning tip known on these carbs. If order anything it has all part numbers. I hope this helps Ghosthunter Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:00 pm 
Initiated

I never hooked the choke up on mine. I turn the key on for a few seconds to let fuel pressure to come up, a couple pumps on the throttle, and it always starts right up. Might have to pump a couple more times to keep it running for 1st 15 seconds, but that's all. Good luck.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am 
Initiated

I took apart hte carb and for what I can see the choke actuates 2 little gears and they lift two little cylinders and beyond that it most do something internal.

So it seems to be functioning but still have troubles starting. As far as the accelerator pump it does squirt when the gas is pressed.

So I don't know what else could be causing it, I am thinking I am running rich but havent had time to tweak the jets would this cause the hard starting issues?

Post subject: Re: Joyner 650 Sand Spider Carb vs. Turbo??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:46 pm 
Probie

I bought the turbo and the difference is unbelievable night and day.

darkdw15 wrote:
I see lots of posts for each of these but I thought a discussion on both in one post might clear it up!

The carb from what I read is easier on the engine but only supplies ~12hp increase while the turbo gives~16hp increase but the turbo is harder on the engine and costs more!

So has any one tried both and liked one over the other? If you limit the boost will the turbo still cause engine damage? What is the cost of the carb kit?

I am looking to order one or the other and it seems that the posts are either pro-turbo or pro-carb with very little middle ground!

What is the better solution that will ensure good power delivery and no major mechanical problems?

Thanks

Post subject: hard start
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:27 pm 
Buggy Addict

If you are running rich it would easy to load up the engine with making hard to start. Who's plugs are you running and what gap. What air cleaner are you running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:00 pm 
Initiated

I got champion plugs with standard gap and K & N air filter!

I am blowing black smoke when running and the acceleration and deacceleration are not smooth it seems to miss.

But looking at my plugs I have carbon build up on the edges but the center of the plug is a brown color. I am getting mixed results, I only have a couple hours of riding with the new carb and am wondering if it is needing more break-in time to find its balance?

Post subject: weber problems
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:23 pm 
Buggy Addict

Sounds to me like your still alittle rich, plugs im running ngk be7s, some guys are running up to be9s even hotter, cross refference your champion and see how hot they are to mine. Im running 33 degrees total advance i think it will take more. Valve adjustment right im running .006 intake,.010 exhaust this has worked the best so far. I hope this helps Ghosthunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 am 
Buggy Addict

Road bradshaw trail last week with sidexside guys out in places by myself and copilot,long straight way, could see way up trail,hit speed 76 miles per hour ,fourth gear 5200 on tach,buggy ran great.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:21 am 

if possible could someone who has a turbo'd joyner 650 please take a picture or tell me where they get the oil pick up from. I am researching into putting a turbo on my joyner 650 but refuse to pay the £2000 people over here in the UK are asking for them when the parts can be sourced individual for a lot less. i have just a couple of questions if anyone can answer them.

1. the plumbing of the oil return should be quite easy but where do you get the oil feed from, you can get an oil feed from an oil cooler sandwich plate between the filter but wondering if there was another place that would be easier and cheaper.
2. do you need to get a water cooled turbo and run an intercooler or is this optional do the kits use an intercooler im aware that using one would lower intake temps.
3. im aware of the need of an uprated fuel pump and pressure regulator but what fuel pressure is needed.
4. how about fuel enrichment for when the boost kicks in.
5. do you need to do anything abot the ignition timing as when i turbo'd my car a few years ago i had to install a timing retard system for when the boost kicked in.
6. does the standard carb work well with the turbo or do i need to rejet.
i know theres a lot there but any help would be welcome thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:42 pm 

I have a turbo on my 2008 650SS, while I can't answer many of youw questions because I am not that smart on this stuff, I can provide a picture and help with a couple.
Q1 - See picture for where my oil pickup is; for the return I dropped my oil pan off and had a nut welded to it before reinstalling.
Q2 - there is not one on mine; no problems so far after a year
Q3 - don't know the pressure but the thing is loud and annoying
Q4 - I run 100 octane plus in this, 5 to 8 lbs boost
Q5 - I don't know how to do this at all
Q6 - carb was re-jetted to a 125 small round jet (I am at ~5000 ft elevation)

Hope this helps!

Attachments:
650SS oil pick up.jpg
650SS oil pick up.jpg [ 34.7 KiB | Viewed 2846 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:45 am 

thanks for the help i think i have most of the info i need now. did the turbo make a big difference or was it only minimal. also did it make the buggy quieter with the additional exhaust restriction of the turbo or did it make no difference at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:05 am 

The turbo made a big difference in the power once you hit ~3000 RPM, for low end power you sometimes have to get the RPM's up there and stay there to maintain. It does not let me spin out tires or anything but it did make a big difference on top end speed and what I can do with the buggy when I am above 3000RPM. The exhaust is about the same noise level as before, you do hear the turbo wind up now but it is not bad. The only thing that is really louder, and truly annoying is the sound of the new fuel pump running all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:12 pm 
Buggy Addict

Two things. One, it sounds like your turbo is too large with that kind of turbo lag. Mine kicks in hard at just under 2000 rpm with 8lbs of boost, and two I would try a different fuel pump, mine is hard to hear with out the engine running, and you cant hear it at all once you start it.

2005 Corvair powered 4 seater- FOR SALE
1985 250sx trike
2005 250 Joyner DD highly modded- FOR SALE
2006 Joyner DD 300cc Polaris 2 stroke
2007 Joyner 250 Turbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:31 pm 

What fuel pump do you have? I would love to buy a new one that is not as noisy, even better if I could not hear it at all. I have the kit from Unleashed Motorsports so the fuel pump he sent me is the one that is on it right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:53 pm 
Buggy Addict

Holley blue, I think it is from summit racing.

1985 250sx trike
2007 Joyner 250 Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 am 
Probie

I have a 2005 650cc sand spider i know that guy posted a picture of where he put the oil feed line but it dosent look the same as mine so where do you put it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:56 pm 
Buggy Addict

I ran mine off the block where the oil pressure sending unit would attach. But I would have told you if you just asked once. :D Van

1985 250sx trike
2007 Joyner 250 Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
Buggy Addict

Hi , if you pull oil from the head your taking oil from camshaft block feed,if you pull it from the block oil sending unit your pulling oil right off the pump. Where did joyner make this feed when they use to sell turboed 650's from the factory,just curious Gost

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:35 pm 

Can you post a pic of where you pulled it off the block oil sending unit?