It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:32 pm

Post subject: Oil leak- Hammerhead Mini Bug
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:39 pm 
Probie

Purchased a used Hammerhead mini bug for my son recently. Very shortly after it started leaking oil all over the place. I am a complete newbie to karts, engines, etc. Based on some advice from friends and internet I took off the cover, cleaned everything and ran it for a bit. Identified an oil leak from beneath the cylinder head cover, so I took it off, made a new gasket, RTV, etc. That patched it up, but now I am noticing a very heavy misting of oil coming from the port on the cylinder cover. The kart manual says there should be a breather tube there. I don't remember if there was one there a few days ago or not. Questions: Do I need the breather tube? if so, where does the tube run to? Is this (blown gasket, oil from port) all steaming from some other issue?

https://youtu.be/sPGZCWlcL0Q

Code:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sPGZCWlcL0Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post subject: Re: Oil leak- Hammerhead Mini Bug
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:54 pm 
Buggy Addict

That is the breather tube (yours looks a little excessive though... was it very cold when you started it, or any chance you got water in the oil somehow?) on older buggies a hose was hooked into it and and it just dripped on the ground... then guys started hanging small vent filters above them ..the idea being excess oil would then drain back down the attached hose... Originally the hose ran to the filter box

A note on RTV... I avoid using RTV/silicone on anything that is internal on the engine... If a piece comes loose it could (at least partially) plug the screen... the only filter on the GY6. The gasket on the valve cover is an "O" ring type, which if installed with a coating of grease or vaseline...should only leak if improperly torqued. If it has been nicked or flattened due to improper torque you should probably pick up a new one and replace it when you can

Post subject: Re: Oil leak- Hammerhead Mini Bug
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:16 pm 
Aftermarket Dealer

I agree It is a little excessive, a lot of blow by can be a sign of low compression and a worn engine. I would run a vent hose up a bit then down below the engine. Keep a eye on it. If it is dripping oil constantly you may want to rebuild the engine.

Bud

Dune 150

If it was easy, Everyone would do it.

http://www.BrandXmotoParts.com

Profile Personal album