It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:14 pm

Post subject: maxxam 150 mini buggy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:58 pm 
Initiated

I just bought a maxxam 150 2r from my local northern tool. So far i have traded the first one i bought for a new one. reason for that was it must have been a demo model and the rubber parts were dry rotted and one tire kept going down. also it was making a hard popping sound i think from the transmission. the brakes were too tight and made a lot of noise. also a bolt was missing that held the brake caliper on. since then i have found out most of the trouble with my original kart was from a poor assembly job at northern. the first kart ran great. the new kart needed idled up slightly. i also had to tighten up the cable for the reverse to work properly. this kart seems to be pretty good overall. my kids love it. i personally would like to make it stronger for hill climbimg and general trail riding. most of my friends have 4-wheelers and i want to be able to keep up with them if at all possible. any advice from someone with this kart would be greatly appreciated. I would like to add this kart is impoted by Carter from China.

thanks in advance, Eddie II

Attachments:
File comment: my maxxam 150 2R
my maxxam 150 2R.jpg
my maxxam 150 2R.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 20716 times ]
File comment: tag says imported by carter
HPIM0902.jpg
HPIM0902.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 20690 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:33 pm 
Buggy News Founder RIP

Check it out! The CVT case has a carter brothers label on it. Very interesting.

I would say, any of the GY6 modifications will work for you. Please get us a good picture of your exhaust and intake just so we can see what you have for stock.

You will be wanting to think about lighter weight CVT rollers, or sliders... opening up the exhaust, peformance intake modifications followed by a rejet. All these things are mentioned and gone over in the modifications and engine forums.

Good luck with her... she looks nice.

-Steve

2005 Blade 150 DX: 4 Valve head, 10 gram rollers, East Side pipe, uni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:39 pm 
Buggy Addict

Welcome to Buggynews Eddie.

Good looking buggy..

Are you aware that Carter Brothers 150cc buggies are normally called Talons? That is why your maxxam 150 2r, with it's CVT Carter sticker, raises our eyebrows a bit...

I would like to see your buggy from the front..

Way to make an entrance buddy!! :wink:

My mods with pictures:

https://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

My buggy review:

https://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1858

Post subject: carter talon....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:34 pm 
Initiated

Yes Talonman I have been aware that carter made the talons for a couple years now. As a matter of fact I originally wanted a talon. Back when I started looking they were red and had a round rollcage. Before that they had a kart that was racier looking but apparently had problems with it. Then came the Talon like yours. I would have had one sooner but money was a problem till recently....lol. I thought I wanted a 250 but after my friend bought the 150 maxxam I was satisfied enough to save a grand and get the 150. It looked so much like the talon I didn't realize it wasn't till after I had paid for it.(had to hurry before I talked myself out of getting it....lol) I always wanted a honda odessy and by the time I got old enough they were gone. This kart is not as powerful as I remember the odessy being. But I had confidence I would find a group like this with the same wants as myself. I spent a good while today studying your mod posts during which I noticed many small differences(posssibly upgrades) between my kart and yours. I got some pics you guys requested. my have to take more. I am extremely happy at the thought of being able to make some of these mods to my kart!!! :D

Attachments:
FRONT PIC.jpg
FRONT PIC.jpg [ 135.08 KiB | Viewed 20676 times ]
CVT SNORKEL.JPG
CVT SNORKEL.JPG [ 93.5 KiB | Viewed 20674 times ]
EXHAUST HEADER.JPG
EXHAUST HEADER.JPG [ 33.65 KiB | Viewed 20676 times ]
INTAKE TUBE.JPG
INTAKE TUBE.JPG [ 80.49 KiB | Viewed 20673 times ]
MUFFLER.jpg
MUFFLER.jpg [ 103.48 KiB | Viewed 20674 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:47 pm 
Buggy Addict

Thanks for the pictures!!

Our buggies nose looks verry similar.

There are lots of things we can do to these 150's for better performance.... :wink:

My mods with pictures:

My buggy review:

Post subject: SIMILARITIES.....
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 pm 
Initiated

I JUST GOT THROUGH COMPARING THE SERVICE MANUAL I GOT WITH MY KART AND GUESS WHAT??? IT IS ALMOST AN EXACT COPY OF THE TALON MANUAL!!! JUST CHANGED A FEW WORDS AND NUMBERED THINGS DIFFERENTLY. ALSO MY MANUAL IS NOT AS TECHNICAL. BUT STILL THEY ARE THE SAME. FOR EXAMPLE- THEY CALL THE CARB BY DIFFERENT #'S BUT LOOKING AT THE EXPLODED VIEWS THEY ARE IDENTICAL. GOOD NEWS FOR EVERYONE ID SAY. NOW I KNOW I CAN USE TALON PARTS FROM CARTER AND TALON OWNERS CAN GET PARTS FROM A.C.E. SPORTS LLC. COOL BEANS!!!
ANYWAYS I'LL BE ON HERE A GOOD BIT FROM NOW ON CHECKING OUT WHERE TO GET STUFF TO MOD MINE AND IF I FIGURE SOMETHING OUT I'LL SHARE IT.

Attachments:
File comment: JUST A SAMPLE OF MY HANDY WORK....
irby's truck 043 revised2.jpg
irby's truck 043 revised2.jpg [ 262.48 KiB | Viewed 20687 times ]
 Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 am 
Buggy Addict

Thanks again...

Yes, by all means keep popping in here.... :)

My mods with pictures:

My buggy review:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:04 am 
BN Elite Member

Welcome to buggynews and the addiction!

Blade 50cc
Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:41 am 
Buggy News Founder RIP

Very nice...

So by the looks of it, this engine is air cooled, not oil cooled, correct?

Tons of mods out there for ya... just look around and you'll be all set.

-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:20 pm 
Initiated

I have been reading Buggy news for a little bit now and my brother in-law and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a few for awhile since we were always going to Northern Tool. Well one day he calls me over and he went and bought the Maxxam 150 I was about to do the same when I saw the Dazons and that my local Gander Mountain carried them so instead of going with the same one he did I went with the Dazon 150. Well I can say while I do like my seats and a few other things better then his Maxxam his is FASTER!! I was surprised by it cause I have read so many times on here that the Dazons were one of the fastest out of the box well either he has a really well built motor or I have a Monday morning motor :lol:

One thing by looking into stuff for our buggies you can NOT use the same exhaust as the newer Talons on the Maxxam how the battery tray mounts I guess it gets in the way BUT Blade motorsports I guess has a different pipe that you can use and not have to move your battery tray also I think it ends up being something with the rear suspension the suspension on the Maxxam is like the older Talons or one of the older buggies?? Either way its not set up the same as mine or the newer Talons.

Hope that helps a bit I cant offer much since I have only had mine for about 2-3 weeks and him about a week longer so im still learning as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:17 pm 
Buggy News Founder RIP

A lot of speed has to do with the CVT tuning and the gearing. It's not everything, but it's a lot.

Have you compared hill climbs yet?

You are right, that Dazon has been one of the buggies to own. Perhaps there have been some changes, but it hasn't been verified up til now.

Either way... you can't go wrong with a Dazon either. Great support and a well built product.

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:21 pm 
Initiated

Yeah we went out today to a pretty large piece of land and even uphill he got me, granted they werent that large of hills but even still he gets me off the line and in top end not sure in the REAL long run though cause on a really long downhill section I managed to go around 41-42mph (according to the stock Dazon speedo)

And no I don regret my purchase of the Dazon by any means I even paid about $100 less then he did for his Maxxam :lol:

I will say though with Northern Tools being around lot of places and the price of the buggy it definately is a great buggy for the price.

There is another post were a guy also has a Maxxam and did a bunch of parts on his, might be of some interest to the original post maker since there arent too many posts on BN about Maxxams YET...

Heres the link https://www.buggynews.com/topic9191.html ... ght=maxxam