It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:28 pm

Post subject: Polaris Razor the new "KING"?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:44 pm 
Initiated

Wow,
I saw one at the dunes last outing and very, very impressive. We won’t be trading in our Honda’s FL350R Odyssey’s yet but for a two person buggy this rocks hard! 0-35MPH in 4 seconds!

Finally someone has hit a correct horsepower to weight ratio!
I believe this will change the whole buggy market!

Here are a few links to videos of this machine!

Have an awesome day

Pete

http://www.atvconnection.com/Features/B ... er-RZR.cfm

http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2007/ ... razor-800/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:56 pm 
Buggy News Founder RIP

For the sports guys, it certainly seems to be.

For those that need a utility as well... not so.

It's a great combination for sure! A lot of us have a keen eye on it, and there are a handful of owners already right here on this site!

Thanks for posting!

-Steve

2005 Blade 150 DX: 4 Valve head, 10 gram rollers, East Side pipe, uni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:15 am 
Buggy Addict

Sorry can't resist. This is meant in good fun

Attachments:
brokeback-poster.jpg
brokeback-poster.jpg [ 411.25 KiB | Viewed 5854 times ]

LAFNGAS

05 Joyner Sand Devil

03 YZ450F

06 125cc SUNL Pit Bike

06 Rhino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:53 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

If you like to ride in "TIGHT" places. hahahahaha
:awww

"Not that there is anything wrong with it...." - Seinfeld

1965 Mustang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:51 pm 
Admin

That's an excellent spoof...it really is :lol: But obviously created by someone who's never sat in a Rzr. It's roomier than you would ever think. One downside is that the riders are sitting at the extreme outer edges of the chassis and get flailed pretty good on overgrown trails. 8" narrower than a Ridge Runner but lots more elbow room.

2 Polaris RZRs & a Dune 150. Ridge Runner--Gone. Yerfdog 3206--Gone (but you never forget your 1st!).
Buggy pictures, mods, ideas, how-to's:
http://tinyurl.com/8ltm8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 pm 
Buggified

It seems to work nicely, but it's really not much of a "buggy."

Carter GSX150R2-10 Gram Rollers, Stock Spring and Clutch, UNI Filter, Bike Speedometer, Hammerhead Performance Exhaust, Bando Coil, Arctic Cat Rear Shocks, Arvin Front Shocks, Larger Battery, Kenda Max Front Tires

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:14 am 
Buggy Addict

it may revolutionize the buggy world, but I know I will never own one unless I find it used, probably abused, and under 5 grand!!! It is like the honda pilot...still ultra expensive, but worth it if you find a good one... But I cant justify spending 13K on a 2 seater buggy that is 50 inches wide, without thinking JEEPS are the same price and can go the same speed, and have more abundance in parts!!! lol... I priced out two RZR's in the last three weeks...

Fully optioned BAJA, $14,675 excluding tax/title....
moderately equipped sport with half windsheild, winch, sport rims: $12,450 excluding tax/title...

Waiting list till November, and IF I ordered one now, I would get a few bux off, and 0% financing for the first year!!! lol

My truck is 25 grand brand new, 4X4, fully loaded, and I had a hard time justifying that purchase until the ford explorer took a huge crap!!! lol... I am sticking with a mini-bug until i hit oil or get run over by Bill Gates' shoffeur... But if that day should come, you better believe I will have an RZR, an ODDY 350, a Pilot, and the DOOM 150!!!!!

Awesome sport thingy the RZR...I like the nets as doors, and I especially like the clip on bars, doors, windows, gas tanks, lights, all that stuff! Real cool, but real $$$$... Maybe one day!!!

John :D

[color=#0000FF]http://www.northeastbuggy.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:21 pm 
Admin

rcmaster1029 wrote:
It seems to work nicely, but it's really not much of a "buggy."

If I took all the poly body pieces off you might see it in a different light. But still I sorta agree. It does have many buggy characteristics, and drives like a buggy.

2 Polaris RZRs & a Dune 150. Ridge Runner--Gone. Yerfdog 3206--Gone (but you never forget your 1st!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:39 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

lafngas wrote:
Sorry can't resist. This is meant in good fun

LOL

2006 Polaris Sportsman 700EFI

It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again

Post subject: 2008 RAZOR...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 pm 

guy48065 wrote:
That's an excellent spoof...it really is :lol: But obviously created by someone who's never sat in a Rzr. It's roomier than you would ever think. One downside is that the riders are sitting at the extreme outer edges of the chassis and get flailed pretty good on overgrown trails. 8" narrower than a Ridge Runner but lots more elbow room.

I've saved for many MANY years and have always wanted a (narrow) trail capable machine that can crawl-climb and sling rocks on the straight aways-------I will only be able to compare the RAZOR to my current -- highly modified Explorer (CN250) mini-buggy (which I have geared so low for hill climbing) and it still disappoints me---you can either have top speed and no climb, or low speed and some climb.

I pick up my 2008 razor tomorrow----- I hope this is it!!!
Any good tech tips or otherwise out there on the RAZOR? Will I be disappointed?

Explorer 250
Extended dog bone trail arms
Re-enforced Frame
Progressive (Pilot) suspension shocks
Carb and jetted
Clutch, rollers, and VARIATED to the max
Over $4100 invested............................

Honda XR600R
High Compression Kit 11:1

LIVE TO RIDE AND RIDE TO LIVE----FREEDOM ISNT FREE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:21 pm 
Buggy News Founder RIP

guy48065 wrote:

Actually, I was thinking that they sat in it... liked it too much and owned another brand so they couldn't have it, but that's just me! :)

Seriously though... it's not big on utility compared to others in it's category, so it's not for everyone looking for a SxS. But that's why we say it's nearly buggy!

-Steve

2005 Blade 150 DX: 4 Valve head, 10 gram rollers, East Side pipe, uni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:23 pm 
Buggy Addict

Quote:

It depends on what you are expecting. The rzr is a typical polaris. Alot of drawbacks, and way too expensive for what you get. If narrow is your main concern then you will probaly like it but If your waiting for the perfect all around buggy then I would keep waiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:19 pm 
Buggy Crazed

vanet wrote:
Quote:

It depends on what you are expecting. The rzr is a typical polaris. Alot of drawbacks, and way too expensive for what you get. If narrow is your main concern then you will probaly like it but If your waiting for the perfect all around buggy then I would keep waiting.

Hey, I resemble that remark :wink:

They do not build the typical "stuff that every brand has" my trail boss 330cc was about the same price as the 250's but it had independant rear suspension, very plush ride and seat, lots of ground clearance. Not a 4x4 and not a sport bike, but a good solid "trail bike". They tend to think outside the Box. and their quality and reputation has improved.

There is a lot more to like about the rzr than simply width. At least for me.

Chris

330cc polaris trail boss

70cc honda dirtbike

50cc suzuki quad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:56 pm 
Admin

The real proof of how successful the Rzr is against the competition is found in posts on ATVConnection, ATVFrontier, etc by Rhino owners who have bought the Rzr.

Take what you read in magazines with a grain of salt. There already exists a big subscriber and advertiser base for the Rhino. These mags aren't going to cut their own financial throats by immediately proclaiming the Rzr soundly beats the Rhino.

As far as performance mods go...it honestly doesn't need any. Live with it a couple months, then decide if you need more speed (10 minute mod will get you to 70mph)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:55 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

guy48065 wrote:
The real proof of how successful the Rzr is against the competition is found in posts on ATVConnection, ATVFrontier, etc by Rhino owners who have bought the Rzr.

Take what you read in magazines with a grain of salt. There already exists a big subscriber and advertiser base for the Rhino. These mags aren't going to cut their own financial throats by immediately proclaiming the Rzr soundly beats the Rhino.

As far as performance mods go...it honestly doesn't need any. Live with it a couple months, then decide if you need more speed (10 minute mod will get you to 70mph)

You mean I can't get an unbiased review from Dirtwheels?? :(

2000 Honda 400ex -- Fully modified

2003 Honda 400ex -- Stock (Wife's bike)

1996 Honda CR250R -- My "Fast" toy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:09 am 
Buggy Addict

If you are comparing the rzr to the rhino and such then you guys are right it is by far the best out there. If you are comparing across the board, ie rails, buggies, pilot, ridge runner, etc, etc, really all the rzr has going for it is the width. There are many vehicles that are faster, handle better, and are less money. When I compare I also compare to vehicles that are coming out as well. huh you might say. Well Polaris is the first to hit the market with a sport side x side I have a feeling that the others will follow suite, so I look at what faults it has without comparing it to any thing. To my way of thinking they are many. I have yet to see polaris quality improve, the motor revs poorly, it is loud, and there were alot of other things I was not impressed with. Keep in mind my thoughts are from somebody who has test driven them twice. I do not own a rzr. Maybe that makes me lessed biased, or maybe that means I dont have enough time on one, hard to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:16 am 
Buggy Crazed

vanet wrote:
If you are comparing the rzr to the rhino and such then you guys are right it is by far the best out there. If you are comparing across the board, ie rails, buggies, pilot, ridge runner, etc, etc, really all the rzr has going for it is the width. There are many vehicles that are faster, handle better, and are less money. When I compare I also compare to vehicles that are coming out as well. huh you might say. Well Polaris is the first to hit the market with a sport side x side I have a feeling that the others will follow suite, so I look at what faults it has without comparing it to any thing. To my way of thinking they are many. I have yet to see polaris quality improve, the motor revs poorly, it is loud, and there were alot of other things I was not impressed with. Keep in mind my thoughts are from somebody who has test driven them twice. I do not own a rzr. Maybe that makes me lessed biased, or maybe that means I dont have enough time on one, hard to say.

Compared to what you mention, it is also the only one with 4x4.

Other than a quad or motorcycle, I wonder what vehicles you think are "faster, handle better, and are less money" ...new.

I am not trying to argue with you van, just curious as to what you are thinking about.

Chris

330cc polaris trail boss

70cc honda dirtbike

50cc suzuki quad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:53 pm 
Buggy Addict

Quote:
Compared to what you mention, it is also the only one with 4x4.

Other than a quad or motorcycle, I wonder what vehicles you think are "faster, handle better, and are less money" ...new.

I am not trying to argue with you van, just curious as to what you are thinking about.

Chris

To give you an example chris. This weekends we were out at our ranch moving cattle it was me on a full size rail, my daughter on our highly modified 250 buggy and my brother in law and his wife in there rhino. We came to a large wash that had pretty much straight sides in and out, i was first and went right down the side and back out the other side pulling a nice wheelie coming out the other side in my vw powered rail. My doughter was afraid to go in as was the rhino because it was too steep and were afraid it would turn over. My daughter went down the bank aways and found a place that wasnt as steep in or out and gunned it hard and came right out the other side without too much issue. Now the rhino they couldnt go in were I did for fear of tipping over, a major issues with rhinos. They went down to were my daughter went across and tried what she had done. The rhino went in with no problem but even in 4wd would not climb out the other side. My brother in law had to get out and push while his wife drove and even then it took two tries to get out. The problem was power to weight ratio. The four wheel drive just didnt help. I have had several guys with rhinos pull the 4wd card when saying how great there rhino/ranger / artic cat is , however I have never seen a stock rhino go somewhere a two wheel drive buggy with good power wont go. Will they out do most 250cc and 150cc chinese buggies? yes, but look at the cost difference. Once you get up to 400cc or bigger and even some modified 250s the chinese buggies blow them away even in climbing. Again the high center of gravity and low power to weight ratio are there down fall. This brings us to the rzr. As far as utvs go they addressed both the power issue and the high center of gravity. But if you take the width issue out they still are slower and wont do as well at the dunes or in the mountains as my rail does. Cost $ 2300.00 or as well as my lj tech 1000. cost 4500.00 or as well as my brothers samuri cost 1800.00. or my brother in laws bronco cost 2200.00 or any of the buggies sean is selling. Or any joyner 800cc or bigger, or any good used jeep, I guess you get my point. Now I realize many will dis agree with me and they have that right im just saying I have checked them out and my 14000.00 (the price they are going for out the door) is better spent elsewhere. Now if you do alot of trail riding and the 50" width is a big concern then it may be the perfect vehicle for you. If the polaris will hold together. We have had a couple to work at our ranch and my experiance is they fall apart. We have two hond three wheelers that are 30 years old that work full time out there as well as two 20 year old 4 wheelers, honda also, that never give us a single problem. The two polaris rides we bought to do the same work lasted less than 3 years and were totally shot. I dont want to sound like a honda commercial but they do hold together. Van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:05 pm 
Admin

My Rzr cost under 10,300 OTD. Anyone who pays 14K for one has been living in the land of fruits & nuts too long :wink:
That's still pretty expensive for a toy but when you consider it's made in the USA and uses the engine & trans from a Sportsman quad which does have a good reliablility history, it's reasonable.

There are faster, cheaper and more capable vehicles available but none are close to the width and weight of the Rzr. Width is a huge factor and this site has been harping on it since its inception. The Rzr isn't appropriate for everyone--in particular I don't understand why so many are sold out west where there aren't the legal restrictions on width like the midwest & east.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:28 am 
Buggified

Being a RZR owner I'd like to give my 2¢ worth...

First off I have to say I've never been a Polaris fan (as many of you might already know) because of the many reasons mentioned above but....

I have sat in, ridden in, driven, thought about, looked at etc... every SxS out there because of all the stories I've been told or read about and always came to the same conclusion that they just didn't fit MY ridding style. The RZR is the first SxS I've ever considered owning for one simple reason, it's first ride reports fit my riding style better than any other SxS made, stock!

Some other reasons include...

Capable of reaching high speeds in a relatively short amount of time (timed runs [done by my wife from the passenger seat] has shown 0-60 in just over 11 seconds and 0-60-0 in just over 19 seconds, multiple times), has a real stable and safe feel to it compared to other SxS's I've been in/driven, literally can/will climb like a goat in 2WD and even more so if switched into AWD low, has enough power to keep me satisfied for more than 10 minutes and to go through sand with ease, will fit down some of the narrowest trails I've ever been on, is designed for play first but is capable of doing work when needed (used it to dredge my pond at the farm a few weeks back without even a hint of a struggle), can be ridden all day and not make you sore and achy the next day, able to carry a passenger comfortably next to you and not behind you, has an absolutely huge after-market support system for something so new which makes accessorizing it easy to personalized, its American made, has just enough room to carry all my camping gear for those weekend excursions out on the trails, gets incredible gas mileage for an off-road machine (I averaged nearly 21 MPG over this past weekend, logged 260 miles and only used 12.5 gal. of gas. Way better than any other larger atv I've ever used/owned, including snowmobiles of the same/smaller cc's), has a fairly tight turning radius considering its longer wheelbase, even with all the hype out there it still managed to exceed many of my expectations, and is all out FUN to drive.

Other notables...

While stopped at Freddy's Market in Atlanta MI. during our ride this past Labor Day weekend, the 3 RZR's gathered a fair amount of people, old and young alike, wanting to know more about what they were and how well they performed out on the trails. I can honestly say this has never happen to me with any ATV/ORV/snowmobile I've ever ridden/owned.

Shortly after getting the RZR I took it up to my farm to get familiar with it. While there my brother showed up knowing absolutely nothing about me purchasing RZR or that it even existed. After seeing it, he seemed rather intrigued by it. After giving him a ride and letting him drive it, he had shown a greater interest in it. I would say, without exaggeration, that my brother is about as anti Polaris anyone can possibly get and the fact that he has shown a fair amount of interest in it, enough to say that if it came in the Arctic Cat green he would buy one, says a lot to me about the RZR.

Judging from the short encounter at Freddy's Market, the statements made by my brother, and my own experiences with the RZR, I would have to say that Polaris did a good job with designing/producing the RZR and will sell many of them with ease. As mentioned before, its probably not going to be something everyone will want to go out and purchase but IMHO Polaris definitely filled that niche that many people have been looking to be filled by some manufacture for a long time.

Some pics and videos found here

2008 Ranger RZR (Red, the fastest one)
2006 Roeketa 250cc single seat
2004 Twister HH 150cc single seat