It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am

Post subject: Steve Hopkins' passing
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm 
Admin

I am brokenhearted to have to announce that our founder, Steve Hopkins (Hopster) passed away suddenly on September 10th. Steve had left instructions with Susan, his wife, to pass the administration of this forum on to me. Steve leaves some mighty big shoes to fill and I will do my best to live up to his faith in me.

There is an obituary in the local paper that can be viewed here:
http://www.legacy.com/TheWesterlySun/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=94828998

There is also a guestbook you can view & sign online. I think it would be nice for our members to pay a small tribute to Steve & his family via this guestbook.

Susan logs on & visits the forum often. Go with God, Steve and may God grant peace to your family.

Mark

Attachments:
File comment: Steve (L) doing what he loved most--BS'ing about buggies.
steve3.JPG
steve3.JPG [ 1.93 MiB | Viewed 10797 times ]

Last edited by guy48065 on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:43 pm 
Buggy Dealer

Highscores: 1
wow, that is a shock to hear. My condolence to the family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:48 pm 

Hello Everyone,

This is Sue Hopkins (Steve's wife)

Mark, thank you for posting a thoughtful, kind tribute to Steve.

Steve was one of a kind. I still can't believe he is gone. I have lost a best friend and a partner. I will love him for the rest of my life. I will miss him always. He was my soul mate. The kids have lost a wonderful,loving father. I know his memory lives on in them.

Steve loved BuggyNews and all of the people involved. He loved going to the BuggyBash in Kentucky. He was like a big kid!! Everyone was so kind and friendly to us and the family.

Steve loved his hobbies:buggies,remote control planes, rockets, motorcycles, dirtbikes, you name it!! Keep Steve's memory alive by remembering good times, his love for buggies and his awesome spirit. If I know Steve, he is off in Heaven, riding his buggy at full speed(probably trying to fly a r/c plane at the same time). He could never do just one thing at a time!

I know he watches over us. Thank you all for supporting Steve's site. You are all wonderful. Say a prayer for Steve. I know Mark will do Steve proud.

I Love You Steve(Hopster)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:22 pm 
Initiated

Sue,

My thoughts are with you and your family.

I never had the pleasure of knowing Steve, but certainly have enjoyed the efforts he put into "Buggys" for thousands to enjoy. I am somewhat new in the Buggy World, but have found it fun and rewarding with my family. The heart of this enjoyment goes back to BuggyNews. His efforts had to be increditable.

It appears you did have a relationship you can cherish forever, even though this makes the hurt larger.

I had the pleasure of camping next to Mark at the Bash in Kentucky. Got to know him a little and had some riding time with him. I follow his posts and I also feel he will keep Steve's work going forward.

Wishing you peace in all the fond memories.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm 
Buggy Dealer

I don't even know what to write here. I am shaking as I type. Steve and I have known each other for so many years, we have spent so many hours speaking on the phone. I met Steve way before Buggy News when he stood up for me on a different forum which got us both thrown off and led Him to the creation of this Wonderful Haven called Buggynews. I read the front page post at least 10 times trying desperatly to find a joke in it. How can this be?

Let me say something about Steve, he was a man who was more driven and devoted then any other man I have met in my life. I said this to him in many a conversation, I even pleaded with him at one point to come work with me. The way he spoke of his wife and Children, the hard work he put into his new home, and the devotion to creating Buggynews, not for money but for the love of the sport are all his legacy.

I will never forget Steve, I considered him a friend and somebody to look up to.

I am sorry if I am rambling here, I am so lost for words. I wish i could change this and I can't.

Sue, my heart is bleeding for you now, I have some idea of the loss you have suffered. Please know that Steve will live on forever in the hearts and thoughts of so many thousands of us here at BN.

Take care everyone and be well.
Stuart Taft

Attachments:
DSC03180.JPG
DSC03180.JPG [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 10761 times ]
DSC03169.JPG
DSC03169.JPG [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 10761 times ]
DSC03178.JPG
DSC03178.JPG [ 1.22 MiB | Viewed 10750 times ]

"The Future In Off-Road"

"PLAY TOUGH-GET DIRTY"

http://WWW.BLADEPOWERSPORTS.COM

1-888-44-BLADE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:45 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

This comes to as a shock to me. I have not had the pleasure of meeting Steve. The sight he has created is a wonderful and helpful tool for everyone. My prayers are with you Sue.

At this time in our life it is easy to give up, but Steve wants this sight to grow and be the best place for people to get and share information, meet new friends, and to have everyone come together for the love of the sport.

love and prosperity to the Hopkins family

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:52 pm 
BN Elite Member

WOW.. :cry: I don't even know where to begin here... Steve you will be missed. Susan, keep your chin up and remember what I said. Anything or anytime.

Jamie

Blade 50cc
Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin

Post subject: Steve
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:08 pm 
Buggy Dealer

Sue,my name is James Lee and Steve and I pm ed alot over the years and most of the time it was about you and the kids.I feel like I know you because of all Steve said about you and the kids.I have a big hole in my heart because he is not here.You have been in our prays for a long time and we still be.He was the nicest guy to talk to and he worked so hard.I wish I could say something that would help but I know I can't.If I could help I would.Give all the kids a hug from the old man.James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:03 pm 
BuggyNews Dedicated

This is painfully shocking. I haven't been on here in a very long time but received a call today from Stuart Taft with Blade Powersports with this shocking and terrible news.

Buggies would not be where they are today if it weren't for Steve.

Steve was a terrific man and will be terribly missed. My heart aches for his poor family. Steve did everything for them. I feel absolutely awful for the family. I will be praying for them and may God be with them.

John Lethen

2 - Blade 70KT's

Twister 150 Mods

Post subject: Memorial website
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:40 pm 

Please light a candle in memory of our loved one Steve Hopkins by visiting http://www.stevehopkins.memory-of.com

Hello again,

I hope you don't mind but I copied the pictures that were posted today and put them on the memorial website. They are wonderful! Steve would never let me take pictures of him! I started a memorial page today. I felt I needed to have a way to celebrate his life and accomplishments. He was an incredible guy. As you all new.

I put a few pictures on the site that I had on the computer. I will try to find more. I will try to scan some in as well. If anyone has any other pictures or videos, feel free to contribute. I want to keep his memory alive. It helps me and the kids to see him in pictures and his old videos.

Thank you all for your kind words. Thank you for keeping us in your prayers.

-Sue Hopkins and Family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:23 pm 
Buggy Crazed

I am deeply saddened to hear about Steve, my
prayers go out to his family in this hard time. Steve
helped me quite abit when I first joined BN, letting me
know all the pro's and con's on the buggy's. We will
miss him dearly.

Bob R.

07 Sand Viper 250 ( SOLD )

89 Honda Pilot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:25 pm 
I'm sure the Lord has a higher purpose in mind for a man such as Steve Hopkins. I am proud to have been able to know such a man. Steve always has and always will hold respect of the highest caliber in my heart. We will miss you Steve.

Charles Kaufman [ckau]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:28 pm 
Buggy Dealer

We are so sorry for your loss,
You have a whole community behind you if you need anything, please ask.
Our prayers go out to you and your family, Steve will be missed!
He will live on through BN and the people who loved him.
Our condolences.

Tom, Robin & Ryan
KidNme Motorsports

Own:
Hammerhead 250
Kinroad Gy666 BB Single
Blade150 ATV
Designers of the DR2 Variator & Shorty Clutch

Sometimes I wonder...Why is that Frisbee getting bigger....
Then it hits me! ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:04 pm 
BuggyNews Dedicated

Sue:
I met Steve at the Buggy Bash of 2006 and right away knew he was an extraordinary man. I came away from our conversation knowing I had crossed paths with someone of vision, integrity, and full of love for his family and friends. I was blessed to have had our brief interaction and this memory will live on as I do not easily forget men of such presence and character.
I pray for you and the children, and I know in my spirit that God will not take you to this place in your life only to abandon you. Have faith.
Sincerely and with all due respect,
Van Bennett

DAZON 150 double

UNI, 130jet, BIGE built intake tube, custom built exhaust, HO coil, adjustable CDI, iridium plug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Dear Hopstergirl,
I never had the pleasure of meeting your husband, but I do know that he had a rare outlook on his hobby. From the many posts I have read one central theme seemed to surface, family. He seemed to always make a point to mention family in any subject dealing with buggies. I must admit this idea of a informational and family oriented site is what sold me on buggies, as I have two son's of my own. God bless you and your children.

Stacy Ritchie

150 sunl 125 jet, 39t sprocket, uni, blade, 9.5gm rollers, 1500 spring, CDI

70cc Blade kart
450 Rhino
98 Arctic Cat 454

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:41 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Sue.

First of all I want to say how sorry I am to hear of the sudden passing of Steve. Steve starting a great site here and I know he must have spent countless hours on this site making what it is today.

Thank you Steve for your insight on this forum and thank you Sue for allowing him the time and effort to do the same.

140 main jet, 40 pilot

Supertrapp exhaust

Uni-Filter

3000-8,500' elevations

1 1/2 - 1 3/4 air screw turns

15 gram sliders

"Green Sticker"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:55 pm 
Buggy Addict

I am speechless. It seems so surreal.... My deepest condolences to your loss, Hopkins family. God bless you and your family....

John Mackey

[color=#0000FF]http://www.northeastbuggy.com

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:51 pm 
BN Elite Member

I can't begin to describe the feelings that I am experiencing at the moment. This is a shock. Many times Steve and I have corresponded thru email and PM and I thought of him as a friend though we had never met. He helped me a great deal with advice and technical assistance. Never once did he ask for anything in return. That speaks volumes about the soul of the man and the good it contained.

Sue....my heart goes out to you and your family. Be assured that any one of us on this forum would step up for you.

Glade Mason
EDGE Powersports

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Sue, I am truely sorry for your lose. I hope in time that the simple words posted by many in this forum will help you through this most diffcult time. You must know how a simple idea like the BuggyNews has changed the lives of many people.

Your Husband created a truely unique place, It does far more then talk about buggies. In just a few weeks this forum has turned my whole family into buggy nuts and I continue to meet the most friendly and helpful people on the web. My children my wife and I can't wait for our first buggy bash with the members of this group. This could not have been done were it not for a trusted community built from the heart of one man. I thank you and your husband for a most unique gift.

Hold on tight to your children and remember all the fun and silly things I know your husband must have done. In time I promise your children and you will laugh again.

God Bless you and your children.

Vinny

2009 site 8
2010 site 114 & 115
2011 Had to back out :(
IF IT AIN'T BROKE! DRIVE IT HARDER![/size]

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 pm 
Dear Sue,
I, as many others, have not met your husband nor talked to him before but from what I can gather (from posts and other people) he was a great man as well as a great father. This site he started is a great haven for buggiers like myself to come and discuss our troubles and worries about one of his biggest hobbies. Speaking for everyone, we will proudly continue arguing and discussing this awesome hobby in his name. My heart goes out to you and the kids, be strong and embrace his Remembrance, as we all will. Even those who never knew him, like myself.

sincerely,

James Erb