It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Post subject: My 150 CC Kart will not start
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:05 pm 
Initiated

I was riding my kart and it stalled. I attempted to start it up and it didn't and the battery sounded weak. I jumped the battery and it had more power but would not start. The engine turns over but does not start. I took the spark plug wire off and turned the key to start it and it does not spark. I checked the all connections for loose wires all wires are good. I jumped the solenoid and it turns over just as with the key but does not start. I also checked the fuse on the electrical box and it is in good shape. I believe it might be the CDI but I am not sure. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.... :(

Post subject: Re: My 150 CC Kart will not start
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:45 pm 
Buggy Addict

franky wrote:
I was riding my kart and it stalled. I attempted to start it up and it didn't and the battery sounded weak. I jumped the battery and it had more power but would not start. The engine turns over but does not start. I took the spark plug wire off and turned the key to start it and it does not spark. I checked the all connections for loose wires all wires are good. I jumped the solenoid and it turns over just as with the key but does not start. I also checked the fuse on the electrical box and it is in good shape. I believe it might be the CDI but I am not sure. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.... :(

was it idling when it stalled?
when you check for spark did you put plug back in plug cap ground it to head ?
does it have a pushing button kill switch that might be bad stuck killing power. if so unplug one of the wires on switch and try that.
when you tried jumping across solenoid did you have key switch on?
on the weak battery check and make sure the wires on the rectifier regulator is plugged in good making good contact.
the yellow should be for lights and choke ,white for charging black or green ground, red for battery.
what color does your spark plug look?
pud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:30 pm 
Initiated

It was being riden and it stalled. When I checked for spark, I pulled the spark plug wire and placed a screwdriver inside placed it close to a metal and had someone turn the key. The engine was turning but it had no spark. The kart has no push button kill switch. When I jumped the solenoid I had the key forward and place a screwdriver over the two bolt and it turned the engine over but also no spark. the wires on the connectors seem to be making good contact. I did not take the spark plug off. I am going to check that next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:29 pm 
Buggy Addict

ok i understand franky, maybe your cdi i did go out the way it just shut down like that.was your cdi good and secure in the electrical box.i know mine was a flopping around in side of the electrical box but i caught before it done any damage but it did ware a spot on the corner of it.if one is doing that i wouldn't think it would be good for it,probably could jar stuff loose inside of it.if you haven't i would follow the two single wire coming out of engine make sure they are plugged in good those two wires is what make engine run.somtime wires will look plugged in but they are still not making contact.
pud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:37 pm 
Initiated

The CDI was secure in the electrical box. I checked the wires on the CDI and unplugged them and plugged them in. They seem to be making contact. I followed two wires of the CDI which leads to coil wire and dont know what else to check.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:51 pm 
Buggy Addict

franky wrote:
The CDI was secure in the electrical box. I checked the wires on the CDI and unplugged them and plugged them in. They seem to be making contact. I followed two wires of the CDI which leads to coil wire and dont know what else to check.

these are the two wires i was talking about there coming from the stator.
pud

Attachments:
145N08-6-18(12-32).jpg
145N08-6-18(12-32).jpg [ 22.76 KiB | Viewed 2536 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:57 pm 
Initiated

I am going to check those wires to make sure they are nice and tight. If they were loose would the engine turn over? cause the engine turns over good with a jump statt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 am 
Buggy Addict

yes the engine will turn over those wires what controls the cdi and the ones in the big plug charging and lights.
pud

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:44 am 
Initiated

I checked voltage to the CDI and it seems to be getting some voltage. I did not get the actual reading, but coming out of the CDI I did not get any voltage reading. My kart has a different lay out than the one you have on the picture.

I also checked the ignition switch and it seems to be working fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:51 am 
Buggy Addict

I've seen where the spark plug wire and spark plug boot becomes seperated.NO matter what youstick in there you wont get a spark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:19 pm 
Initiated

I checked with the original spark plug wire and still no spark.