Initiated

DENI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
Buggy Dealer

bravenrace wrote:
DENI.

Both of them Deni?
The DENI PD24J is usually a pretty good carb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:07 pm 
Initiated

The original is for sure, as it's sitting on my desk next to me right now. The other I'll have to check, but it is identical to this one, so unless another brand is an exact duplicate of the Deni, then it is a Deni for sure.

Post subject: Re: Carburetor Problems - Please Help!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:02 am 
Buggy Crazed

Hate to ressurect a dead thread but.....was there any resolution to this "leaky carb" situation......mine is doing the exact same thing....got another 30mm carb on the way but if your new one was doing the same thing I want to fix it before the new carb goes on.....thanks alex

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:11 am 
Initiated

Well, I got busy with other things and haven't worked on this problem since that last post. I'm hoping to get back to it soon, and will report back what I find. I hope you do the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 pm 
Buggy Crazed

well i've got my 30mm elite carb coming soon as i install i'll post up thanks alex

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:06 am 
Initiated

What kind of things have you done to try and make the original carb work? Anything I haven't listed in this thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am 
Buggy Crazed

Braverance.....I have soaked and cleaned it thoroughly......checked the intake for leaks .......put a new intake manifold on.....changed jets to accomodate new k&n airfilter and new exhaust........cleaned the float bowl and made sure it floats and that the needle seats...checked choke for voltage and movement of the needle.....pretty much everything anyone had wrong with their carbs i tried.....Mind you the buggy rips at high rpms but when she's run for over 45 mins at low speeds she bogs down unless u keep the rpms up. When it stops is when the carb leaks fuel if the petcock is left open.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:34 am 
Initiated

That's how it happens with mine the first time it does it. After that, it happens sooner. Sounds like we pretty much have the same problem.
Is your carb horizontal or angled when installed? Since the kart is not always level, I don't think that should matter much, but I wonder if it makes the float level adjustment more critical. Nothing about this problem makes any sense to me, especially when I put a brand new carb on and it did the same thing immediately. I'll be curious to see how it goes with your new carb.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:08 pm 
Buggy Addict

studio5o i was looking back through the posts and i see you are still having problems.when your problem starts to happen have you tried loosening up the gas tank cap to see if it will help.

pud

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:47 am 
Buggy Crazed

Yeah Pud...still having issues....i'll try the gas cap and see if its venting properly....just got the new carb in but have family commitments tomorrow ...i'll see if i can't get to it on sunday...hope it works.. Thanks again alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:58 am 
Initiated

How would the gas cap cause this problem? I could see a cap that doesn't vent causing a fuel starvation problem, but how would it cause the carb to flood? Either way, I'm pretty sure that's not my problem, as I've checked the cap several times.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:13 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Well got impatient guys and put the carb on this morning ...pretty easy install just remember where the hoses go......i did change the jet to a 135 before installing it...i did notice a lil snappier response on acceleration ........and it is"NOT" leaking and did "NOT" sputter to death....I got it up to operating temp and it did fine ...so far...I'll keep you guys posted on the long term. one thing i did notice that the previous owner did , it looks like the return line for the coolant on the carb was plugged with solder on the original carb....on my new one I put a hose on it and plugged it ....shopuld i plumb the line and to where? or just leave it plugged. I dont think this could've been the problem but any input would be great...thanks alex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:33 pm 
Buggy Addict

bravenrace wrote:
How would the gas cap cause this problem? I could see a cap that doesn't vent causing a fuel starvation problem, but how would it cause the carb to flood? Either way, I'm pretty sure that's not my problem, as I've checked the cap several times.

well it was just something to check might not be your problem. i know there are different vent systems but on my buggy its just a vent in the cap.tempture changes and fumes from the gas can build up pressure in your tank if it has no way out.so if it was to do that it could possibly force the float open.
i have a brand name weed eater that i have to keep a close eye on the vent in the cap or it will cause me fits, if it gets plugged off.while its running and if i can catch it in time and crack the cap open it won't flood.
also have you ever set a square plastic 5 gal. gas can out in the sun to return a little later to see it look like a big red basket ball :lol: , i never try to do this on purpose but i have forgotten to take time to set it in a cool place when busy or to many things on my mind at the time #-o

definition for vent: a hole for the escape of gas or air.

studio5o, glad you are getting things straighten out i know you wanted that bigger carb anyway. :lol:

pud

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Thought I'd mention a few things.

1)The gas cap not allowing venting restricts gas flow. PV=NRT

2)If gas is leaking out of the carb without the engine running. The float valve isn't working. The most common causes are

a) Float set improperly
b) crap building up on the actual valve or inside the chamber the valve sits in. The valve actually easily gets stuck. Use sandpaper a small wire brush.
c)Rubber on valve rotted.

The float valve shuts off the flow of gasoline once the chamber fills. Think about it.

Redneck Uni Intake, modified steering, gutted exhaust, 22 inch front tires with 10" custom rims, hot cam, shaved head.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:17 pm 
Initiated

Heath, that all makes perfect sense to me. But how likely do you think it is that the carb is at fault when after going through my carb a few times with no change, I put a brand new carb on and it did exactly the same thing immediately?
Seems unlikely to me, but I can't find anything else on the kart that would explain it.
Now, on my particular kart the carb is installed at an angle relative to the kart. I wouldn't think this would be a problem, seeing as how the kart isn't always on level ground anyway, but is it possible that even a brand new carb might need an alternative float level to compensate?
Just thinking out loud here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:32 pm 
Admin

Your carburetor has to to be relatively level to function properly. If it is not the float will misread the bowl level and either not fill it sufficiently or overfill it. Did you modify the rear suspension or do something else in the rear that is does not sit level? This was a problem for some Yerf-Dog guys that tried to use overly long rear shocks and angled their swing arm too steeply.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:21 pm 
Initiated

No, everything is stock as it was when new. It's a Baja Motorsports Dune 150.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:49 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

bravenrace,

you explained it perfectly. You have to counter adjust your float to compensate exactly for the angle rather than perfectly level with the chamber. Your carb(s) cannot fill enough to float the valve shut. Bend the tab way the hell up and watch the gas shut off but the buggy not run and you'll see.

Redneck Uni Intake, modified steering, gutted exhaust, 22 inch front tires with 10" custom rims, hot cam, shaved head.