It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:26 am

Post subject: Adding reverse to a homebuilt?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:46 pm 
Initiated

Hey all, continuing my education and study on what I want to do for a cart. I would love to build one myself, though after tonight I know my welding skills are sorely lacking...

ANYWAY - If/when I build I will most likely use a 4stroke road bike engine of some sort, very very few ever have reverse which leads me to 2 questions..

1. How important do you guys find having reverse is?

2. Is there a way to add reverse on a buggy when the engine/trans does not have it??

Thanks again this site has been awesome!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 am 
Initiated

Hi, If you are building a buggy , have reverse.I built mine useing a snowmobile engine, and the reverse chaincase from the same machine.I can't imagine not having reverse.Having to get out and push if you gat in a tight spot (not fun).And sometimes not being able to push it (if stuck or on decline).Check out minibuggy.net some of the guys on there that are useing bike engines run an electric starter and ring gear for reverse.You could also go with a quad engine that has the reverse in the tranny.The other alternative is to shell out BIG BUCKS for an RPM gearbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Punkin pilot is right, a sled chain case with reverse is a straight foreward install... You mentioned a MC motor RPM makes a good FNR box but is spendy... I use electric on mine off the jack shaft so it goes thru the gearing to reduce the speed and increase torque, It's an on/off system so you don't have throttle control but is effective for turn arounds and backing out of stuff...Just a word of caution there are some cheap copies of the RPM box...stay away from them :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:43 am 
Initiated

Thanks for the responses!!! I have also been keeping an eye out for the snomobile route, but my concern was that they are mostly 2strokes, our existing buggy is 4stroke, means double the fuel cans to haul around and possibly get confused with each other by the kids..

That and I am also wanting to go EFI on the cart if I build one and that is very difficult on the 2 strokes without getting an entire unit and stripping it down and being tied to thier ECU.

I heard rumors that due to thier size some of the GoldWings have REverse in them? anyone have any info on that? Thinking a 4stroke quad will be the best option.

Those are definitely all options though THANKS!!

Post subject: Rev.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:58 am 
Buggy Dealer

The goldwing rev. is the starter runs in rev, no real rev. gear.James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 am 
Admin

If your goal is high HP and scary speeds go with the 2-stroke sled engine. A water-cooled one would be a good idea in a buggy. Use the chaincase for reverse or get a Skidoo with a reversing Rotax engine. The engine itself reverses. This saves the weight and fabrication issues of the chaincase.

If your goal is high torque, being able to leave the buggy idling for awhile and fewer gas cans then go with the quad engine & tranny. A streetbike engine + FNR or electric reverse (starter/ring gear) will give you the best speed AND torque but is the most complex.

Also--do you want to shift or have CVT??

Let your goals determine which route is best for you.

2 Polaris RZRs & a Dune 150. Ridge Runner--Gone. Yerfdog 3206--Gone (but you never forget your 1st!).
Buggy pictures, mods, ideas, how-to's:
http://tinyurl.com/8ltm8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:03 pm 
Initiated

I am fairly open on the shift Vs CVT thing. CVT is nice, but I have ridden motorcycles for year, and drive a manual trans car fro daily driver.. I think shifting gives better performance, but I would not let the "shifting" overrule having Reverse :-p

Good info about the gold wing set-up I always though it was trans based, but if it is starter based then that sounds like the best solution!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:49 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

The electric isn't hard at all to install depending on whether or not you have room to fit it I had to fit the unit on my wifes buggy underneath and give it a skid plate, It's really just a matter of cutting the mount...getting the starter lined up propperly,burning the mount in, running the cable and wiring the pushbutton switch 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:23 pm 

You could try a gearbox made by comet. There are two on this website. I'm thinking of adding one to my modified manco dingo. You can use it similarly to a jackshaft with a sprocket on both sides or with a cvt on the input and sprocket on the output. I see they sell a gearbox unassembled for $30 cheaper than the already assembled model. Just another option to consider.

http://www.bmikarts.com/gokarts-minibik ... arts.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:35 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

that comet gearbox is not even an option with a bike powered car, that is designed for about a 10 hp briggs max, you will be waisting your time and money trying to make it work....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:55 am 
Initiated

No real reason you can't use a snowmachine reverse chaincase with a non sled motor.

Post subject: hi
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:18 pm 
Probie

have you got a web sit for rpm so i can have a look at a box thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:24 pm 
Buggy Addict

First of all...

I went two (2) years without reverse. I just put it on and it's a must. It cost me $300 but it looks to be worth it.

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 pm 
Buggy Addict

.... I forgot the 2nd item....

Don't take shortcuts with this. There have been many a project that once it's together due to bad engineering it never works. Then the thing sits around forever and is sold at a huge loss.

You've got your options, Mark laid those out for you. It was already said, but I'll repeat it again. Figure out what you want and then put it together from there. Speed, Torque, Long-Term. If you try to get it all you'll end up with nothing.

Also, shop around and be patient. You'll find the good deals this way and end up with a terrific buggy.

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject: Re: Adding reverse to a homebuilt?
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:14 pm 
Probie

hey guys and gails,

im new to the group and just wondering the same thing... im debating on motors right now also and reverse now since i am build a cart off badland bugggy spec's that weighs like 400lbs without a driver(yes this is about right but i think its going to be around 1000 after) is it possible to take a atv and use the differential case and handle to switch the gears to reverse with a motorcycle motor?

any info or set up you guys may have might be needed...

thanks
p.s sorry for the hi-jack

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:36 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Right now there is a guy doing a motor swap with a cb 400 and he is planning on using the stock reverse box off of the cart i will post the link to the thread follow and see how it works im doing the same looks like it will do the job pretty good.

Red Main Clutch Spring
130 Main Jet

110cc china atv

1981 honda 200m atc

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:39 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Heres the post almost finished with the build it looks promising.

https://www.buggynews.com/tech-engine-swap-hammer-head-150-cb400-hondamatic-t17704.html

Red Main Clutch Spring
130 Main Jet

110cc china atv

1981 honda 200m atc