It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Twister HammerHead SS 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:01 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Ok I bought this buggy almost 3 weeks ago, I was hoping to have somewhat of a review after the first weekend, we bought it on a monday and was delivered tuesday so it would have been almost a week. We drove it tuesday a lil and wednesday alot. Had 90 miles by the end of wendesday and it came with 5 miles on it. Went outside to pull it out a check the oil and bolts like suggested (always have to check the bolts on these every time i stop even out on a ride, they vibrate loose very easily, and I have lost 4 already 2 the first day) ride a lil bit before my wife came out and took it away lol. So anyway on the way out to the garage I hear a chiping noise like a bird, so I thought I closed a bird insde. I open the garage door and all the elctronics and turning on and the dash is lighting up and then shutting off suddently and then it would chirp, all without a key. I called the dealer and he said the speakers run off an amp the constantly draws power even with the buggy off and the key out. So some friends came over and my wife wanted to show off the new buggy, so my wife game her friend a ride and came back and I did the same with another friend. We came back parked it and about a half hour later my wife wanted to take my beagles for a ride, they love it. She put the key in turned it and nothing happened no lights nothing. Sat waied a couple minutes and tried a couple more times and finally it started, vbut the starter was stuck trying to start when the engine is already running. took the key out the engine turned off but the starter kept going even with the ignition of and the key out. This kept on going till the battery died, well I thought. So we took it to the dealer first thing friday morning (Had to rent a truck $135 with gas rental and milage and borrow a trailor which was free) and they said they would have it back to us the same day since we ony had it 2 days. They never called and so my wife called and they said they replaced the cylinder and the starter But they told me the starter cluth was worn out and they had to order that. So okay no a good start but I'm not mad. A week goes by and we finnally get the buggy back memorial weekend on saturday we picked it up (had to rent a truck again another $135 angain trailor was free). Rode it some over the weekend and a little during the next week. By the next weekend on saturday we have about 235 miles on this now. Saturday around ^ in the evening we decied to go back out and we are just crusing about 25 - 30 (35 mh seems to be the top speed with 2 passangers and a cooler on the back) on smooth hard packed dirt and the front drivers side weld that the rool cage bolts into snaps comletly off. So we turn around and head back and the same weld on the oposite frond side breaks. In between riding I find I also have a loose wire so that the engine won't start or any of the electronics won't turn on unless u jiggle the wire harness off the battery. So no here I am not sure how to rate this buggy I have barely owned 3 weeks and which was supposed to be safer that an atv with the roll cage and it just snaps at the welds just from vibrations. I wonder what would have happened if we had flipped or rolled over. (kinda scary, I know I've been ridin dirt bikes and atvs for years and have the scars to prove it, but I'm getting older and don't want to add to the decorations on my body. I can post some video of the weld where they broke. Just wondering, has anyone else had any problems like this with their HH.

Post subject: Re: Twister HammerHead SS 250
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:11 am 
Initiated

Man I´m sorry for your bad luck!
There are tons of more experienced people over here but I think that the HH is a good build machine for what I´ve read on the web, maybe you got a lemon...

You should think about talking to your dealer and return it if it keeps giving you those kinds of problems, broken welds are not to be taken lightly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

having a weld break is very unusual, I have never seen one do that. Can you tell what wire is loose? alot of times the connectors will come loose and I always try to crimp the ones that seem loose so they will hold better

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 am 
Buggy Addict

That is very odd. Sorry to hear about your problems. As far as the bolts go that shake loose, use blue loctite on them and you shouldn't have to go back and tighten them again.

Get it back to the dealer since it's under warranty. Considering you had to rent a truck, see if the dealer will come pick it up.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:50 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

nefas wrote:
Man I´m sorry for your bad luck!
There are tons of more experienced people over here but I think that the HH is a good build machine for what I´ve read on the web, maybe you got a lemon...

You should think about talking to your dealer and return it if it keeps giving you those kinds of problems, broken welds are not to be taken lightly.

Yea I'm very concerned that two welds broke, I worries me what would have happened to me or the person(s)in there if lets say the buggy rolled with welds that weak.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

BIGE wrote:
having a weld break is very unusual, I have never seen one do that. Can you tell what wire is loose? alot of times the connectors will come loose and I always try to crimp the ones that seem loose so they will hold better

The nut for the battery bolt on the positive side is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:03 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

[quote="Sockman"]That is very odd. Sorry to hear about your problems. As far as the bolts go that shake loose, use blue loctite on them and you shouldn't have to go back and tighten them again.

Get it back to the dealer since it's under warranty. Considering you had to rent a truck, see if the dealer will come pick it up.[/quo
I will be using the loctite from now on, I didn't before beacuse of possibly voiding the warrenty. My wife said the same thing about them picking it up as it has cost us $4600 on the buggy. $4300 with taxes and $300 on rental truck on two different occasions (it took a week to fix). This will be 2 shop visits before the first initial service. :( Only on the 3rd tank, and they said 5 tanks then bring it in.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:09 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

ChuckOrlando wrote:
I would probly ask for another machine. 2 welds breaking is very serious. One weld could be fixable. 2 means either the steel is bad, the welder is bad, the welding wire was bad, or a very bad gas mix. The only other thing it could be is a bad jig that left the steel under alot of torque. The biggiest issue is you dont know where else these issues have carried over. If they wont give you a new one, I would document that you brought up the above mentioned issues and they refused to fix such a platenet saftey issue. Then if something happens due to these issues I would sue the p1ss out of them.

I own an hh250 and only really wear and tare issues and it's 4yrs old. I also beat it up real bad. So vibration should not break a weld. It's a good buggy but your buggy has major issues that are likely limited to that machine

I feel that very same way. It worries what would happen to the person(s) that would be in the buggy if it flipped or rolled. The roll cage was the only reason my wife wanted a buggy instead of an atv. I feel we should be granted a complete replacement considerin 2 welds broke. Also it had other small issues from day one. Did I mention half the time it won't shift in reverse and the cable is ajusted to the max and they didn't order that when they had it for a week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:27 pm 
Buggy Addict

wow...that is bad bad luck....

Joyner 650
Purple
Looking at dust in the rear view mirror

Baja 150 in the grave..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:44 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

I dont think the amp is supposed to have a draw on the battery like that, alot of the cfmoto engines you have to bump the throttle a little to get them in gear sometimes.

there should be a small switch to turn off the amp, most are on or under the dash.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:05 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

BIGE wrote:
I dont think the amp is supposed to have a draw on the battery like that, alot of the cfmoto engines you have to bump the throttle a little to get them in gear sometimes.

there should be a small switch to turn off the amp, most are on or under the dash.

They did do some adjusting to the cable and I can get it in gear now but it still a lil tough but i've got the hang of it now. And I thought that same also with the amp as I have installed car audio equipment and didn't think so but ant the same time the dash was lighting up and when it went out it speakers woulld chirp. It has stopped since they replaced the cylinder.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

ChuckOrlando wrote:
All the small stuff is really on the dealer. A good dealer would have put it together and tested it completly. They also would not have told you the amp is on all the time so the battery will be drained all the time. The shifter wont shift because it's adjusted to far most likely. The small stuff are'nt a big deal. It's the welds to me.

I agree completly, when I sold cars we did what was called a P.D.I. pre delivery inspection to check everything. The welds are what is really upsetting me and is also why I want a replacement not for it to be repaired. Who is to know if any other welds are bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:56 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

I have attached pictures of where the welds broke.

Attachments:
File comment: you can see the insulation on the t/s wire is cut frome it bouncing on the way back.
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 16972 times ]
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 16972 times ]
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 003.jpg [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 16972 times ]
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 16972 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:04 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

wow, looks like the weld was bad.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:09 am 
Buggified

Looks like no penetration on the bottom tube. Definitely a bad weld. Should be an easy fix. Grind away the weld and weld back. Quick hint if you go to an auto parts store you can just about always find some scratch paint to match the color. They have hundreds of colors.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:15 am 
Buggy Addict

Cobalt blue metallic will do the trick. It's almost a perfect match.

Attachments:
buggy paint.jpg
buggy paint.jpg [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 16963 times ]

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Guys, I think you need to look closer at the pics. It tore the metal around the welds on the bottom bars. The welds are solid to the bottom bars.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:54 am 
Buggy Addict

That does not look good. That's a mfg defect, looking at how far those bars are from the destined position, alot of work is needed to get that true.

Greg

08 Trooper 2

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:55 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

Has the dealer came and got it yet? I would think they would replace the buggy

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:07 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Kiffing wrote:
Looks like no penetration on the bottom tube. Definitely a bad weld. Should be an easy fix. Grind away the weld and weld back. Quick hint if you go to an auto parts store you can just about always find some scratch paint to match the color. They have hundreds of colors.

I want it replaced due to the fact that I've owned it 3 weeks and it was in the shop for 8 of those days and it was two welds not just one that worries me that other welds that have not broken yet could also be bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next