It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:32 am

Post subject: Dazon 1100 Raider Extreme / Dragon
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:06 pm 
Buggy Distributor

I thought I would tell about my experience with the 1100cc Dragon / Raider Extreme. I received it in March but due to several unforeseen circumstances I did not receive the rear shocks until last week. I do live in Mexico and import rules are extremely difficult. After the shocks arrived I had them installed and adjusted. I then had a Magnaflow pipe installed and also a snorkel with high flow filter put on. The engine sounded great and acceleration and power excellent - 0-100km/hr in about 6 secs. So all was set up and the machine looked great especially with a few decals put on.

So Friday night over a few drinks with the local ATV group, I was convinced to enter into a off road rally on Sunday. Saturday we went to the Rally HQ and registered and did the Equipment Check. The 1100cc was registered in the UTV class due no firewall, side netting and use of ATV tires. There were Enduro bikes, ATVs, Baja style cars and trucks plus a Yamaha Rhino. As it is Mexico, nobody said anything about classifying the 1100 as a UTV because for the pre-check I did not even present the vehicle!

Sunday 6am we meet up to load the trailer and pick-ups with the buggy and ATVs. Mexico again, we are late leaving and arrive at the rally start just in time to see the first racers heading out on the 72km off road circuit. Each entrant had to complete 2 laps or 144km. We are late so I skip the pre race medical check and arrive at the start line. I give my name and # and they tell me that I left 2 mins before (my allocated start time) so I was running on my own time. I immediately took off at high speed.

The circuit consisted of dirt roads, concrete roads, mud tracks in fields, river crossing and also some highway sections plus the descent from the mountain was down a rock strewn track in between thick underbrush.

As this was my first chance to drive the 1100 off road, I started slow to see how it handled. I found the rear end very lively in corners and especially if I down-shifted entering the corner. There were some bottoming out of the buggy when passing over drainage culverts in the road and also the ground clearance when encountering rocks was insufficient. The left side mudguard lasted approx 10mins before detaching. The right side was removed in the pits after the 1st lap. I had a 15 minute detour in a village due to a navigation error but gave me the chance to see the engine was very hot - during the first stage the fan connection plug came loose and hence no cooling.

I managed to screw up the speedometer as I passed the max 110km/hr that it shows. I mostly used 2nd and 3rd gear all the time as shifting to 4th on straight stretches lead to a loss of speed and power.

The first lap complete I started the 2nd a lot faster and more confident in my ability and that of the buggy. I was determined to catch up with the Rhino. Things were going great and the buggy handling real well. I was catching a fair amount of air over bumps but all was well. I felt the buggy was pretty stable and had several close calls in corners and left the road 3 times but managed to recover. I was close to rolling it only once. Near the summit of the circuit as I approached a bend, I remembered it was a bridge over a dry river bed and it was very dangerous due to its narrowness and that the entry to the bridge was a 90 deg curve where control in the dusty surface could easily be lost and over the side of the bridge I would go! So I slowed right down and entered the curve when suddenly the engine died and I coasted over the bridge and came to a halt.

I checked the engine and immediately noticed I had no battery. I walked back searching for the battery and was joined by a stranded Enduro rider who had broken his rear rim. We could not find the battery and believed it could have been lost miles back. We pushed the car clear of the road as the Open Class Baja style cars would be coming soon. We tried to connect a battery from a spectators pick up but found the cables had been torn loose from the motor when the battery flew out! Some Mexican engineering followed and we managed to get the engine started and I exited the circuit to take the fast route back to base. Very disappointed to finish like that after completing approx 120km!

I got back to base and ATV buddies asked what had happened and one replied that my battery was probably the same place as his exhaust was!

There were many other retirements and various crash damaged vehicles to be recovered.

So my observations are:

Reinforce the battery securing arrangement.
Raise the rear mudguards.
Install tachometer for monitoring the revs.
Install high temp warning light in more visible position when driving at high speed offroad.
Install skid plate under chassis.
Check the gearing as 4th gear leads to loss of power and little acceleration.

Overall it was huge fun and a great driving experience. The acceleration is great throught the 1st 3 gears and in rougher terrain, 100km/hr is more then enough. The climbing power was great and I was only approx 20 secs behind the Rhino when the engine quit despite him starting ahead of me and my 15 minute detour in one of the villages.

I am trying to be honest and unbiased even though I am a Distributor here in Mexico (Moderators please change my info accordingly before the bashing starts). I cannot compare it with any other brand as I have not driven them. For the abuse I made it go through I am more than happy to do the repairs and after give advice to any buyers in the future here in Mexico. This machine was imported in order to take it to shows etc but a few drinks can change any decision! It will clean up well enough for shows but what the hell - it was meant for driving not polishing for exhibitions.

I do not have photos of the race as all my friends were on their own machines. I will post some photos of the aftermath though later.

Ciao.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:58 pm 
Buggy Addict

Great story, and thank's for the tips....

Good post buddy! 8)

My mods with pictures:

https://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0

My buggy review:

https://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php?t=1858

Post subject: 1100cc Dragon / Raider
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:09 pm 
Probie

VERY COOL AMIGO!

CAN WAIT TO TEST DRIVE THE 1100cc Dragon / Raider AT PLANET GTOROCKS®

SOUNDS LIKE THE BUGGY HAD FUN! THIS AIN´T NO DUCK WALK ANYMORE!

A FEW MODS AND THAT BUGGY WILL BE READY TO BREAK ITS CHERRY DOING SOME EXTREME ROCK RACING:evil:

GREAT RIG REPORT!

CALL ME TO SCHEDULE AT DATE TO TEST DRIVE THAT LITTLE BUGGY!

PONCE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:49 pm 
Buggy News Founder RIP

Good report. I look forward to seeing the pics.

-Steve

2005 Blade 150 DX: 4 Valve head, 10 gram rollers, East Side pipe, uni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:18 pm 
Buggy Addict

Awesome write-up.
Sounds like a great time.
I like your attitude man.
Can't wait to see the pics.

Good Luck as a dealer.

Those of us on the East Coast of the US get real jealous of all that room on the West Coast and our souther neighbors in Mexico...

Have fun,

T'Hog

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:23 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

TeamHog wrote:

Those of us on the East Coast of the US get real jealous of all that room on the West Coast and our souther neighbors in Mexico...

T'Hog

Chris you can still come down here with a big buggy ! :lol:

-J.R.-

Dr. Pulley 15g sliders, Polini 2500 torque spring, Uni, 32mm MRP pumper carb, ITP 27x12-10R, 23x8-10F Lethal Threat graphics.

07 Qingqi 250 twin ATV

06 DB-27A 200cc DB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:13 pm 
Buggy Distributor

So here is another installment to add:
The "Manzanillaso" which is a trip off road from Guadalajara to Manzanillo, a distance of approx 300 miles in 2 days. This is the 2nd year of the event and approx 100 ATVs, 10 Yamaha Rhinos and one Artic Cat Prowler plus the 1100 Dazon.
My 1100 only has the modded exhaust and snorkel filter plus a new tachometer installed.
Days prior the buggy was prepped by my staff ready for the trip. I took my mechanic along in order to keep the buggy running and also offer service to other participants in the rally.
Last wednesday we loaded up 20 atvs and my buggy on a double platform trailer and it set off for Guadalajara while we boarded a chartered bus and started drinking for the trip of 200 or so miles to Guadalajara via freeway.
Of course not long before the Federales pulled over the truck and demanded an on the spot fine (read bribe) for the truck as it had no papers for the vehicles it was carrying. Ten minutes later and one phone call from a well connected person and the truck was on its way again.

Arrived Guadalajara, unloaded truck, ate tacos, checked in to "motel de paso" or type that rents out by the hour for lovers in need. Shared the bed with the mechanic but luckily bed was big enough for both without getting too close!

Early morning and all entrants assembled and we departed at 10am. First off, lack of rain meant lots of dust and low viz due to the 110 atvs etc. The route was over dirt roads, short sections of paved road and long sections of dirt tracks.

First accident was an ATV that hit a big rock in the middle of the trail and the rider and atv somersaulted. No major damage.

The 1100 was going great and keeping up with all and even passing on occasions.

Comments from the ATV grunts were that the 1100 is a little low and would take hits from rocks in the trails. Also they resisted the new entrant 'cos it was not an ATV. They all smiled as they knew I would not cross some of the rivers later on. One even said that it was not designed for the trip we were making.

The Rhino crowd had their stereos blaring and coolers charged with beer and tequila.

Got to a dry lake bed and I floored the gas and overtook everyone in sight and left them in my dust. The mechanic co-pilot was a little nervous at speed but hey, he has to earn his salary.

The next rest stop the buggy speed became the talking point as it flew past everyone at approx 80mph in the dry lake bed.

Anyone that travelled close remarked how well the suspension took all the bumps.

Another accident and an ATV had flipped entering a corner, the rider dazed and bruised ribs, the ATV not too bad. The rider could not continue and rode passenger in the Arctic Cat.

Lost an hour and a half helping with damaged ATV tire. Finally made it to end of 1st day after 9 hours - a few welcome beers and off to the hotel.

Only damage to the 1100 were the rear indicators had been knocked off by the tires.

Next morning revised the 1100 and the radiator fan had stopped kicking in on auto. Hard wired 2nd fan to operate continually. Later found 1st fan electrical connection damaged and had both fans hard wired to operate continously.
Mechanic spent a lot of time fixing ATVs and the Arctic Cat and little time on the 1100.

Two Can-Am, one Rhino out of rally and various other suffering.

Departed on day 2 at 9am and all well. More interest now in the 1100 as it is running great and very few problems. The starter does not work sometimes but shifting gears or moving buggy a few inches normally gets the starter to turn over.

Lots of dirt again and I am rear ended by a young kid on an ATV. Luckily he only hit the rear tire but he was somersaulted to the ground and then his father gave him a good talking to.

The rally was supposed to be sight seeing but it was "need for speed" as everyone tried to show how fast their machine could go or how good they were at driving.

On a hill climb through a mountain pass I chased an ATV up the power line trail and had more than enough power in reserve. People had commented that the buggy has no 4x4 but it does not need it as it has sufficient power.

Later when it started raining heavily, the quads slowed as they were sliding all over the trails but the buggy showed its prowess and handled really well powersliding round corners.

Had to cross a river twice and it was swelling with the heavy rain. First time made it across 3 feet deep water very nervously but without incident. Second time, the approach was washed out with deep ruts and the buggy grounded out and had to be lifted and re-positioned to clear the ruts. The river was now a little deeper and a crowd gathered to watch us cross as they did not believe we would make it and wanted to see us stuck in the middle of the river. First gear and go for it - water up to my stomach, bow wave in front like a ship, engine did not falter. Cheers as we exited the other side.

It was now getting late and we were real cold from the rain and rivers. Did not have a clue where we were but finally found the road and decided to get home ASAP as running short of gas. Last 10 miles via road.

Others continued the offroad route and the rivers had grown deeper and stronger with the result that a Rhino was swept away and a group had to wade in to rescue it.

Next day revised the buggy. Returning to the shop the gear cable broke and limped in in 1st gear. Stripped buggy, checked engine etc. No water ingress in engine. Minor bumps and scrapes, need new electrical connections in some places due to water damage.

Overall I drove it like I stole it, had a great time and the buggy handled great.

Photos to follow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:22 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Are you from or near El Golfo by chance? I lived in Arizona for about 10 years, and we used to go to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) and El Golfo quite a bit. El Golfo is a lot of fun because it's so undeveloped. Rocky Point is getting too big and too Americanized. Sounds like a lot of fun doing an off road ralley like that.

2000 Honda 400ex -- Fully modified

2003 Honda 400ex -- Stock (Wife's bike)

1996 Honda CR250R -- My "Fast" toy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:38 pm 
Buggy Distributor

No I am not from El Golfo. My forum name comes from my labrador and in spanish means something along the lines of "romeo", "womanizer".

The rallies are a lot of fun and a great endurance test with 9 hours per day en route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:39 pm 
Buggy Addict

I wish we could something like around here (Connecticut, New England, Northeast US). I've always been interested in the rally-type races since I was very young. My father was on several race teams when I was growing up.

I wonder what the smallest vehicle is that has ever finished the race. That could be a fun challange.

All-in-all it sounds like the Joyner held up just fine.

-

TeamHog

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:56 pm 
Buggified

TeamHog wrote:
I wish we could something like around here (Connecticut, New England, Northeast US). I've always been interested in the rally-type races since I was very young. My father was on several race teams when I was growing up.

I wonder what the smallest vehicle is that has ever finished the race. That could be a fun challange.

All-in-all it sounds like the Joyner held up just fine.

-

TeamHog

This was a Dazon racing not a Joyner. Now we have 2 brands that are entering races. Hopefully it continues to grow!

Post subject: Re: Dazon 1100 Raider Extreme / Dragon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 am 
Probie

golfo where did you find your tach wire for you new tach been trying for three days and cant find one if you could help me out would be really great thanx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:12 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Hello guys, just wondering if any one new of a Dazon dealer ship near Texas? Any Dealership? I tried the site's dealer locator and had problems and I am in Afghanistan at the moment so any help would be appreciated. Thanks and great write up!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:55 am 
Buggified

Dazon was bought by tank and then tank went out of business.

TEAM ROKETA- looking at the others through the rear view mirror

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:04 pm 
Buggy Addict

JeremyRay wrote:
Hello guys, just wondering if any one new of a Dazon dealer ship near Texas? Any Dealership? I tried the site's dealer locator and had problems and I am in Afghanistan at the moment so any help would be appreciated. Thanks and great write up!

Yep, they're gone. Someone was selling an 1100 on Craigslist here recently.

malossi delta clutch
mrp exhaust
mrp 30mm carb
k&n filter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:55 pm 
Probie

I just bought one off of Craigslist a couple weeks ago. Maybe the same one. Now I'm looking for a source if I need it. So far no luck. I would be happy if I could get some servicing info on it.

Bob H.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:00 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

dazon has been out of business for over a year , parts from the joyner, roketa and bms machines will probably cross over, and welcome to buggynews

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am 
Buggy Addict

i love the ...a little mexican engineering, mechanic nervous but hey he has to earn his salary,

9 hours in a buggy driving hard, cant imagine 9 hours on a quad.

You need a gopro especially on the flats when you were smoking by the quads.

Great story!

Joyner 650
Purple
Looking at dust in the rear view mirror

Baja 150 in the grave..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:51 am 
Probie

BIGE wrote:
dazon has been out of business for over a year , parts from the joyner, roketa and bms machines will probably cross over, and welcome to buggynews

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up. I went online and typed in 1100 cc engine and bang there was a picture of the engine in my cart, on my screen. Thanks again

Bob H.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:13 pm 
Buggy Addict

rmstg2 wrote:
I just bought one off of Craigslist a couple weeks ago. Maybe the same one. Now I'm looking for a source if I need it. So far no luck. I would be happy if I could get some servicing info on it.

Bob H.

San Diego?

malossi delta clutch
mrp exhaust
mrp 30mm carb
k&n filter