It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

Post subject: CA tightens smog rules for off-road vehicles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:37 pm 
Admin

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/26/559894 ... r-off.html

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Dirt bikes and other off-road vehicles sold in California will have to meet tough new anti-smog requirements beginning with 2018 models.

The state Air Resources Board on Thursday approved rules that could reduce fumes seeping from gas tanks and fuel lines by 70 percent — but also could add hundreds of dollars to the price of new models, U-T San Diego (http://bit.ly/18FVCNO) reported.

Organic reactive gases such as cancer-causing benzene are emitted from off-road vehicles even when they're in the garage. The new regulations would limit them to 1 gram a day instead of the estimated 10 to 15 grams the 2018 models otherwise would release.

By comparison, passenger cars would be limited to no more than about a third of a gram.

Off-road vehicle manufacturers are expected to need design changes and make use of newer materials to meet the cap — and that's expected to raise prices.

The requirements will be phased in over four years beginning in 2018. The regulations will cover vehicles such as dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles and sand cars. Professional racing motorcycles, snowmobiles, gas-fueled golf carts and go-karts are exempt.

California had some 850,000 registered off-road recreational vehicles at the end of last year, according to a Department of Motor Vehicles.

Regulators say stricter rules are necessary as the state struggles to meet federal clean-air standards.

However, the changes could raise the cost to 2018 buyers 4 percent to 9 percent, potentially adding hundreds of dollars to the vehicle price.

"This will put pressure on dealers already struggling to stay in business," off-road enthusiast Bob Ham of Calexico said.

California off-road sales dipped in recent years but rebounded last year, with more than 14,000 motorcycles and ATVs sold.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: CA tightens smog rules for off-road vehicles
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:12 pm 
Buggy Addict

If i were a dealer id take my business out of cali and keep doing business with the rest of the 49 states and overseas. Cali and there epa clean air laws can shove it, these epa laws make me sick. I believe dealers will be fine as long as they stay out of cali. Just my thought

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:38 pm 
Admin

OR and WA both follow CARB standards, so that limits the entire west coast to vehicle choice. Because CA is the biggest ORV market, manufacturers cannot ignore their standards.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Does not surprise me.....when Ca started smog testing diesel pick up trucks it seemed like they were going after anything with a motor.....just another way to generate revenue to fill state coffers. ...ridiculous if you ask me......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

They have "spare the air" days here where wood burning = ticket / fine. I live in the hils where wood is part of the heating system. On spare the air days in the winter i burn as much as i can......just waiting for some jacka$$ from the state to come down my driveway. Good jobs/good weather, bu the rest is jacked up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:00 am 
Buggy Addict

steve1234 wrote:
They have "spare the air" days here where wood burning = ticket / fine. I live in the hils where wood is part of the heating system. On spare the air days in the winter i burn as much as i can......just waiting for some jacka$$ from the state to come down my driveway. Good jobs/good weather, bu the rest is jacked up.

haha i enjoyed reading that,i burn wood to but i'm on the other side of country.i'm afraid i would end up in jail if my door gets knocked on.

if only all the people who support all the epa, politicians and the politicians thereselves would quit driving cars, trucks what ever and start riding a bus, a bike or a horse.wait not a horse it may poop causing water to be bad.
but look at how much less smog there would be.then others could go on with there life instead of getting force fed something every day.
to many people let them get there foots in the door its going to get worse i figure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:14 pm 
Buggy Addict

They have been talking about banning all wood burning stoves all year. It is coming soon. They want us to use them little pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:05 pm 
Buggy Addict

dd827 wrote:
They have been talking about banning all wood burning stoves all year. It is coming soon. They want us to use them little pellets.

well I burn wood upstairs because it good warm heat and cheaper at the moment.the storms last year has provided me wood for this year.
i'm not sure how the weather and how long winters last there but here it can be from October to end of april.
I done some research on corn pellet stoves by the time you buy one big enough for down stairs what you will burn corn through a month its no cheaper then propane. also take a few winter just to pay for less heat I think.i have been around the wood pellet stoves some alot got rid of them,for different reasons.
a lot of people burn wood so they can make it through the winter I feel for you all out that way.

not trying to get this post off topic but I have had to buy a new chainsaw and weedeater in the last few years they won't run rev up now out of the box with out adjusting the carb.
this poop has really got out of hand