It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:00 am

Post subject: CV carb on an "industrial" engine?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:31 am 
Buggy Addict

Wondering if anyone has ever tried or has an ideas as to whether a 150cc cv carb would work on a 6.5 hp size industrial type engine.

It's a little experiment i've been working on with my daughter's buggy. I've already made an adapter for the head so i can use the 150 intake.

Initial tests included switching it to a manual choke. got it to run a couple times, but wouldn't hold idle. before i could go any further, i had to pull the carb and put it back on the wife's buggy for sale.

Along the way of the reinstall, i also cleaned the carb again and it runs fine back on the wife's ride.

I want to go back to testing this idea, i have a couple carbs but am waiting on an FEV, as both carbs need one. I'm wondering if the issue was either the pilot, or the entire carb type not pulling enough vacuum to provide fuel since the idle level is so much lower.

any input would help,.
tia

Post subject: Re: CV carb on an "industrial" engine?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 am 
Buggy Addict

I just did a slide carb on a Tecumseh and it worked great. I don't know why a cv won't work.

Polaris Dark side ride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 am 
Admin

Isn't that 6.5hp over 200cc? You may be better off with a 26mm or 28mm carburetor for that displacement. What size carburetor comes on those engines and how big is the intake port on the head?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:49 am 
Buggy Crazed

I am running a round slide on my 420 OHV and it works well, it can be a little cold blooded to get started but has great response once its warmed up. I think the cold start may have more to do with the port and polish work than the carb itself.

Attachments:
wheel - brakes 011.jpg
wheel - brakes 011.jpg [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 1623 times ]

Home built 420cc ( build thread ) odyssey-fl250-start-t30895.html
2007 Sand Viper 250cc
2006 Sand Viper 150cc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:23 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

I use 28mm carbs when I did it. OMBWarehouse.com has everything I use. I love their u build it exhaust, but I usually make my own now. Also. If you are hunting power with the engine, remove the governer.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:21 pm 
Buggy Addict

Displacement is 195cc on the old tec. this is the stock yerf 3203 engine. I'm trying to make it a bit easier to start with a smoother idle. it can be a bit finicky right now. spring linkage is modified and it will rev up to valve float right now.

The present carb/intake config is really pitiful. Bowl-base jet type with primer bulb and single butterfly. Overall throat dia. is maybe 1" diameter. It sits under the exhaust pipe and the intake makes a dead 90* turn then runs uphill almost 5 inches with a "D" cross section that's maybe 3/4" wide at the most.

In the past i blended and removed a lot of restriction in the intake pipe and port matched it. Added an adjustable screw jet to it. I had to run it much leaner to make it work and not foul after improving the flow through the intake. Plug itself finally read good after leaning it way out. i think it needed a huge fuel shot just to get over the restrictions and up the hill.

Intake port itself is much smaller than the 150. I made a 1/4 inch thick adapter plate, port matched it to the "D" opening on the head, then blended the flat side of the "D" to meet the round port of the 150 intake. that way the flow isn't slamming into a flat wall. That aspect has me a little intrigued as to how it will perform, reminds me of the brass "thumbs" a head porting buddy of mine installs just inside the port on big-valve round tunnelport race heads (boss 429s, , pont. HOs etc.) to get the mix to rise before then dive right at the valve opening.

When i plugged a 150 carb in for the first try, i accidentally plugged the vac line into the overflow on the carb and must have been sucking fuel in and injecting it right into the intake, as it fired, ran rich as all get out, but wouldn't hold idle etc. Correctly plumbed it didn't run, but i suspect the pilot jet was plugged. I cleaned that and put the carb back on the wife's which will be onto a new owner this week.

I have two more 150 carbs to play with, but am waiting on a new FEV.

Attachments:
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG [ 2.48 MiB | Viewed 1590 times ]
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG [ 2.47 MiB | Viewed 1590 times ]
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 1590 times ]
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG [ 2.57 MiB | Viewed 1590 times ]