It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Joyner 650 SS Rear Driver Swing Arm rebuild from accident
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:21 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

For anybody that didn't know the story of why I had to rebuild my driver side rear swing arm you can follow the blog in the small buggy repair discussion forum. But in short my daughter hit my buggy going 43 miles an hour.

I am really surprised at how well both buggies held up from the magnitude of the collision. Nobody got hurt wearing all safety gear. The vehicles did not roll over or tip on their sides.

When I met up with Casey down at JMC Motorsports we went over what could be damaged. I am glad I picked up both the lower and upper A arms. I also picked up all new rubber grommets and bearings while we were at it.

Part of my daughters punishment was she had to help dad completely fix both buggies. This is Autumn's first wrenching job with her old man. I have to say I got the better end of the deal. We had such a great time. One Buggy down and one more to go. There will be another buggy write up of my daughters buggy rebuild as well.

We got started early Sunday morning, well early for Autumn it was 9 am.

After a brief overview of the impact gun and safety Autumn seamed eager to pull the trigger.

That was until I pulled the trigger.

Post subject: Re: Joyner 650 SS Rear Driver Swing Arm rebuild from acciden
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:26 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

After looking at the area closely Autumn said it doesn't look that bad.

A picture of the lower A arm mount to the hub.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:33 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

After taking off the brake calipers from the rotor, we than began to take off the hub.

Looking at the hub and bearings carefully for signs of stress or cracks.

From first glance it looks like the only thing on the lower and upper A arms were the mounting tabs to the hub.

Even side by side of the upper A arm didn't look to have much of a change.

However after putting them on top of each other you can clearly see the impact of the collision.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:43 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

With Upper and lower A arms taken off the buggy, we then were able to look closely at the axle shaft splines, shaft and joint assembly. I made sure to clean the joint thoroughly. Everything was tight and no slop in the joint area. No metal shavings or dirt were in the grease.

So after a good cleaning and air dry it was time to repack the joint.

After speaking with Casey and purchasing the correct CV boot replacement from the auto parts store I took a couple minutes to assess the installation. That's when it dawned on me that I would not be able to disassemble the joint as I don't have the tools to do so. I called Ghosthunter to see what he has been doing and get his take on it. After a short conversation I remember of a two piece system you can buy that works amazing. So I called around my auto stores and here is what it looks like. They are not expensive, actually they are the same price as the solid cv boots. You just have to make sure you take your time and follow the instructions.

Both sides have to be glued.
Here it is completely installed, I am loving it....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:50 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

I was really shocked the cheap stock bearings were going bad after only 300 + miles on my buggy. So I decided to replace them with the good KML bearings.

After a good cleaning and inspection of the boss area it was time to rebuild and install the new bushings.
After Hub was rebuilt and ready for install we had a short hiccup. Autumn was not able to but in the lower bolt into the lower A arm to hub. Here is what I found. This was the only bolt that was bent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:56 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Ok, here we are at the end of the rebuild. All we had to do left was reinstall the brake calipers to the rotor and make sure everything was tight. I did use blue locktite on all bolts to make sure they didn't come loose.

I hope you enjoyed the rebuild. If you have any questions please feel free to ask or PM me. I still have to take off the other side hub, clean, inspect and replace the bushings and bearings I purchased. All in all it only took us around 3 hours to do the repair and the total cost to include brake and engine cleaners came out to $350.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]