It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:44 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: pictures
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:19 am 
Buggy Addict

Sorry about your friend, Pud. Hope to meet you one day.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:53 pm 
Buggy Addict

Hi Pud,still driving the shaker buggy.My mother 90 fell down broke here hip,never walked again and agonizing death it took six months to die.It was hell watching her and there was nothing anybody could do.Makes euthanasia something to think about.Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:47 pm 
Buggy Addict

Since we're in the Yamaha section, thought I'd share this. My buddy has a '04 Rhino he bought used a couple years ago for around $4k. It smokes and goes thru oil. He's kinda nursed it along and I finally talked him into tearing into the motor to see what was going on. Before we did that, I called the local Yamerha dealer and inquired what they charge for a cylinder bore and piston kit. They transferred me to the owner who told me that 90% of them have slop in the connecting rod, and they have to split the case. Sooooo, he tries to sell me (or really my buddy) on a $2k engine swap, they go thru the trans, carb, etc, etc. So after I get done laughing, we decided we'd try another dealer. Anyway, we finally pull the cylinder off last night and there's signs of the piston hitting the cylinder as we expected. Likely needs a bore or a new cylinder, but there was no slop in the connecting rod. Should be an easy swap (knock on wood). My friend called another dealer today, got quoted about $350 for bore, piston kit, gaskets, etc, etc. Just drop off the jug/piston. Here's the cool part, this dealer asks for his VIN, says he thinks there's a recall for that year. Runs the VIN, yep on the recall, so he gets a free pair of half doors, some rear wheel spacers, and possibly a coupon for a $100 helmet. Pretty cool!

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:12 pm 
Buggy Addict

Sockman wrote:
Since we're in the Yamaha section, thought I'd share this. My buddy has a '04 Rhino he bought used a couple years ago for around $4k. It smokes and goes thru oil. He's kinda nursed it along and I finally talked him into tearing into the motor to see what was going on. Before we did that, I called the local Yamerha dealer and inquired what they charge for a cylinder bore and piston kit. They transferred me to the owner who told me that 90% of them have slop in the connecting rod, and they have to split the case. Sooooo, he tries to sell me (or really my buddy) on a $2k engine swap, they go thru the trans, carb, etc, etc. So after I get done laughing, we decided we'd try another dealer. Anyway, we finally pull the cylinder off last night and there's signs of the piston hitting the cylinder as we expected. Likely needs a bore or a new cylinder, but there was no slop in the connecting rod. Should be an easy swap (knock on wood). My friend called another dealer today, got quoted about $350 for bore, piston kit, gaskets, etc, etc. Just drop off the jug/piston. Here's the cool part, this dealer asks for his VIN, says he thinks there's a recall for that year. Runs the VIN, yep on the recall, so he gets a free pair of half doors, some rear wheel spacers, and possibly a coupon for a $100 helmet. Pretty cool!

Now that is customer service.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 pm 
Buggy Addict

I would keep going to the second dealer!!!

Blade DX 150*
* on the juice for sale
HH 250ss
Quiksilver sr 440(went to a good home)
Joyner 650 SS (went to good home)
Red nytro powered and black Redline Riots

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:48 pm 
Buggy Addict

Wow that is a good story when my time comes I'm hoping I can just get a bore and rings
The rear wheel spacers I feel sure he will like those they take stabilizer bar off to it does make them more stable
cool on the doors to after yamaha big law suit they had to add these things.
The dealer we bought from said when you get home you can take the stuff off but we had to put these things on.
They kept calling us until we took it to them

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:54 pm 
Buggy Addict

Ghosthunter wrote:
Hi Pud,still driving the shaker buggy.My mother 90 fell down broke here hip,never walked again and agonizing death it took six months to die.It was hell watching her and there was nothing anybody could do.Makes euthanasia something to think about.Ghost

Yep it's sad to watch ghost.some years ago my family had to make a call on unplugging a machine the person was young though.
OK I thought maybe you was tooling around in a sxs now. :)
Glad to see you pop in

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:21 am 
Buggy Addict

pud wrote:
Wow that is a good story when my time comes I'm hoping I can just get a bore and rings
The rear wheel spacers I feel sure he will like those they take stabilizer bar off to it does make them more stable
cool on the doors to after yamaha big law suit they had to add these things.
The dealer we bought from said when you get home you can take the stuff off but we had to put these things on.
They kept calling us until we took it to them

Thanks Pud. I was really looking for an opinion on the stabilizer bar thing. Seems counter intuitive to remove the stabilizer bar to make it more stable. #-o If you think it helps, then I'll pass that along. When he dropped off the cylinder yesterday they gave him the doors, but the spacers were on back order. They also gave him what appears to be a passenger grab handle. Said they'd measure the cylinder and get back to him today.

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:37 pm 
Buggy Addict

With the stabilizer off and a wider rear it gave this rhino a better lean.
I have went through places where I could feel either the right or left front wheel was of the ground.
I have also notice having two different weights of riders it makes a difference to
Couple years ago a rhino just fell on it side in a big leaning breaker cut for water,big guy and a little woman.
Honestly with the heavy cab on this rhino and top heavy riding over sidling rough stuff I like it better if it's just me :)
I had thought about adding front spacers to wheels also still deciding.
I feel that would have been on my side more than once if I didn't have the wider rear
But I will say one thing when they go over its pretty fast :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

pud wrote:
I have went through places where I could feel either the right or left front wheel was of the ground.
I have also notice having two different weights of riders it makes a difference to
Couple years ago a rhino just fell on it side in a big leaning breaker cut for water,big guy and a little woman.
Honestly with the heavy cab on this rhino and top heavy riding over sidling rough stuff I like it better if it's just me :)
I feel that would have been on my side more than once if I didn't have the wider rear

My brother has a bennche with all the sway bars and it feels more tipsy in hard turns than my rhino with none. My width may be slightly wide with the aftermarket wheels though.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:47 pm 
Buggy Addict

mikeparker wrote:
pud wrote:

My brother has a bennche with all the sway bars and it feels more tipsy in hard turns than my rhino with none. My width may be slightly wide with the aftermarket wheels though.

Yep Mike I was the one to unload and drive the rhino first here within a hour or so about put it on it side turning off black top to rock base i'm glad it was a wide area to correct my almost screw up.
If memory is right stock wheels and tires they are only like 50" wide and front being a little wider.
I just tell the younger wider faster machines go ahead I'll be there shortly.
I think it only takes 1" spacers for front to make front and back width the same.after yamaha added back spacers
I would have to look that info up again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:38 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

pud wrote:
mikeparker wrote:
pud wrote:

Yep Mike I was the one to unload and drive the rhino first here within a hour or so about put it on it side turning off black top to rock base i'm glad it was a wide area to correct my almost screw up.
If memory is right stock wheels and tires they are only like 50" wide and front being a little wider.
I just tell the younger wider faster machines go ahead I'll be there shortly.
I think it only takes 1" spacers for front to make front and back width the same.after yamaha added back spacers
I would have to look that info up again.

My niece and her friend were in a rollover a year or so ago. Her friend was driving and turned to soon. I asked if they had seatbelts on they said no. I then told them thats why they were beat up so bad. The friend yad to have surgery to repair broken nose from crash. The niece argued about seatbelt useage and I told her my son and I laid ours on the side (violently) and were un injured so wear the seatbelt. Cannot tells these teens anything.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:14 am 
Buggy Addict

I am a firm believer in seat belts and am here today because of them. Even as a teen (which was many many years ago) I wore them. I have been in more then my share of wrecks in cars as well as buggies where they kept me from getting hurt a lot worse then I actually did. In two cases a flip end over end and later a head on at 55 mph. I suspect I would have not fared so well in my buggy roll over had it not been for seat belts and a helmet.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:17 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Papa Rich wrote:
I am a firm believer in seat belts and am here today because of them. Even as a teen (which was many many years ago) I wore them. I have been in more then my share of wrecks in cars as well as buggies where they kept me from getting hurt a lot worse then I actually did. In two cases a flip end over end and later a head on at 55 mph. I suspect I would have not fared so well in my buggy roll over had it not been for seat belts and a helmet.

Yes. I hardly go anywhere without seatbelts/harnesses even if its just up the road checking/testing parts or repairs. My kids know they are to buckle up as soon as they get in or on anything.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:27 pm 
Buggy Addict

So the dealer calls today, the cylinder is out of round, needs a bore. It had one done in 2004 under warranty, so this would be the last bore available for the cylinder. There's also an aftermarket cylinder/piston kit for about the same money. Any thoughts on which way to go?

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 pm 
Buggified

Sockman wrote:
So the dealer calls today, the cylinder is out of round, needs a bore. It had one done in 2004 under warranty, so this would be the last bore available for the cylinder. There's also an aftermarket cylinder/piston kit for about the same money. Any thoughts on which way to go?

I'd love to tell you where to go!! Oh, you meant what should you do about your ride. Sorry.

Dean

Go fast or stay on the trailor
GO BLUES!!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:35 pm 
Buggy Addict

Sockman wrote:

Sorry I can't help ya there I know yamaha cylinders are not cheap.its been a while but my memory is saying like over 350 bucks
And remember seeing 10 and 20 thousandths over sized ringing I have heard of the cylinders egg shaping.
I don't see and talk to to many rhino guys here anymore.
I have picked up some just run the pizzazz out of one a couple years and than just trade for new.i don't know how and the hell people can do that without taking a big loss.
I have a family member got a rhino same time we did beat the pizzazz out of it got a Polaris done the same and now just got another new one
Foolish shxiiit for sure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:47 pm 
Buggy Addict

mikeparker wrote:
Papa Rich wrote:

Yes. I hardly go anywhere without seatbelts/harnesses even if its just up the road checking/testing parts or repairs. My kids know they are to buckle up as soon as they get in or on anything.

Yep Mike I try I try to wear mine also my neck was getting a sore rubbed in it from seat belt here was my fix may be a granny thing but what the hell :D bought a couple of those pads
My dad just ask me today if I knew who got killed yesterday.
Red and black sxs on a roll back tore all to hell roll bars mashed down it was blacktop wreck names were being withheld.
I have notice this young crowd if one will run 70 they think that is normal speed

Attachments:
IMG_20160714_161321.jpg
IMG_20160714_161321.jpg [ 883.55 KiB | Viewed 3098 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:38 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Sockman wrote:

Ive heard good things on a 686 big bore. That is supposedly the same bore the 700s have. I think the 660s have a steel/metal sleeve. The 700s have a special coating that is supposed to act as a barrier between rings and cylinder wall instead of sleeve. I had a 2005 rhino for a little while that had a 686 and it ran smooth and pulled strong. Think it had more power than my red 660 even after the clutch mods. I read that since your in the topend might well add a cam to the mix, it is supposed to really wake these things up.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:01 am 
Buggy Addict

mikeparker wrote:
Sockman wrote:

Ive heard good things on a 686 big bore. That is supposedly the same bore the 700s have. I think the 660s have a steel/metal sleeve. The 700s have a special coating that is supposed to act as a barrier between rings and cylinder wall instead of sleeve. I had a 2005 rhino for a little while that had a 686 and it ran smooth and pulled strong. Think it had more power than my red 660 even after the clutch mods. I read that since your in the topend might well add a cam to the mix, it is supposed to really wake these things up.

Thanks for the input. He's not really looking for performance, and he's tight when it comes to spending money. :D I think he's just looking to make it reliable for the least amount of cash.

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next