It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:00 am

Post subject: HH250SS Variator (vs) Dr. Pulley
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:49 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Hey Guys,
Going to upgrade my stock clutch to the dr. Pulley one, before when I did this with my other HH, I bought the dr. Pulley Variator as well.......
My question to you is: for the extra $190 to purchase the dr. Pulley variator Kit, does it really make that much of a difference??
I know the clutch sure does! Just not sure about the variator, they are both aluminum, dr. Pulley claims to have a slightly different ramp plate system then our stock HH250SS ones.....But does it really make that much more difference to justify $190, or is that better spent on upgrades elsewhere on the buggy? I have the dr. Pulley slider weights installed in my stock variator, just want to know how much more to expect from the dr.pulley one? Will my buggy climb better, more hole shot power, more top end power, (etc.)
I know I may get 10 different people, with 10 different answers, I just want to know what you guys think of this, and explain to me why I should/should not get it.....thanx
Josh

07 HH250SS, Performance Exhaust/UNI, Dr. Pulley Clutch/13G Sliders/R. Spring, XP Coil, Aluminum 42T/12T Axle/Drive Sprockets, 38P/132M Jets, Blue Halo Angle Eye LED Headlights, Blue LED Strip Tailights, 3,000lb Warn Winch, Black Rhino Guard Rollcage/Rack,

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: HH250SS Variator (vs) Dr. Pulley
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:21 pm 
Buggy Addict

Funny. I'm looking at that right now, too. I have the Dr. Pulley variator only because the prior owner put it on there. Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a variator. I really don't see how it can make that much of a difference. I was planning on putting the stock one back on.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:28 pm 
Admin

On my GY6, I went with a slightly larger 115mm Koso variator, but really didn't feel the difference. Going to different roller or slider weights was much more noticeable. Rollers react faster to your engine speed than sliders but wear faster. Sliders give your variator a little more range but are slower to shift than rollers. I run the OEM clutch and variator in both my CFMoto engines but use 17g sliders and red main spring. I have a Dr Pulley clutch as spare but don't plan on swapping it in until I wear out one of my OEM's.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:46 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

I'm hearing what you guys are sayin, my thoughts exactly.....
I run the 15g sliders in my stock variator, with blue spring, and noticed a big diff.
But putting the dr pulley vari in, I just don't think it will help at all....But I know the clutch will, solid upgrade there......

07 HH250SS, Performance Exhaust/UNI, Dr. Pulley Clutch/13G Sliders/R. Spring, XP Coil, Aluminum 42T/12T Axle/Drive Sprockets, 38P/132M Jets, Blue Halo Angle Eye LED Headlights, Blue LED Strip Tailights, 3,000lb Warn Winch, Black Rhino Guard Rollcage/Rack,

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:35 pm 
Buggy Addict

You never should have sold your other buggy lol.
Think of all the money you would have saved! :)

09' Joyner 250 SV
HID headlights - LED roof lights -LED tail lights - Endrigo head/cam - Lexx muffler - Robertson header - ITP rims - 25" Bighorns - Warn 3000 winch- camo wrap-Walker Evan shocks - Dr Pulley variator - 34mm KLX250SF carb

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:12 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Panzer wrote:

Me too Rob, Me too x1000.....
It was built up very nice, I tried to buy it back, but the people didn't want to sell it........
I'm doing good with this one however, winch is on the front, all bearings in rear replaced, sprockets upgraded to 12t/42t, the 42t is aluminum, the machine already had a performance HH Exhaust/Uni on it (Bonus).....just got to do the Cdi/coil combo, clutch, then it's just the big tire mod again, but that's probably not till next year......And oh yeah, all the top bars are getting painted black again....lol

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:19 pm 
Buggy Addict

Hey, half the fun is modding these things.
I've got a buggy, trailer and motorcycle that I've stuck way too much money in and never use but had a ton of fun making them unique.

09' Joyner 250 SV
HID headlights - LED roof lights -LED tail lights - Endrigo head/cam - Lexx muffler - Robertson header - ITP rims - 25" Bighorns - Warn 3000 winch- camo wrap-Walker Evan shocks - Dr Pulley variator - 34mm KLX250SF carb

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:23 pm 
Buggy Addict

Panzer wrote:
I've got a buggy, trailer and motorcycle that I've stuck way too much money in and never use but had a ton of fun making them unique.

Ain't that the truth! Sold my beloved blue HH and regretted it badly. But, having fun putting this other one back together.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:29 pm 
Buggy Addict

Ron, I figured after you bought the Prowler and sold the HH that you were done with Chinese buggies. But noooo, u had to go buy another one. [-X :lol:

09' Joyner 250 SV

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:16 pm 
Buggy Addict

I have to admit I have regretted selling my black HH. One day I will run across the right deal and I will own another one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:08 pm 
Buggy Addict

This was the first time we met you Papa Rich, driving your blue HH. Julie and i ran into you at this hill. :D Much steeper than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wszrDBMNvPo

09' Joyner 250 SV

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:30 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Sockman wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Ain't that the truth! Sold my beloved blue HH and regretted it badly. But, having fun putting this other one back together.

Agreed x2

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Very good video Rob!
Some close calls there, good job making it papa rich, after those half-dozen dug holes, I thought no way you would get by that, but you did....Nice!!

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:31 am 
Buggy Addict

Panzer wrote:
This was the first time we met you Papa Rich, driving your blue HH. Julie and i ran into you at this hill. :D Much steeper than it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wszrDBMNvPo

Wow that brings back memories. That was the 2011 Buggy Bash, my first one. The thing was I had gone up that hill earlier that day and for the most part when right up it. And yes it was much steeper then it looks on the video. St Joe has that area roped off and you can't even climb that now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:54 pm 
Buggified

ole men never give up!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:45 pm 
Buggy Addict

That thing is definitely a climber now. Was this before the mods Rich?

MEMBER TEAM FIB

.....ride?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:16 pm 
Buggy Addict

gndoc wrote:
That thing is definitely a climber now. Was this before the mods Rich?

If I remember it was stock except for the UNI and HH exhaust.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:27 pm 
Initiated

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Panzer wrote:

Me too Rob, Me too x1000.....
It was built up very nice, I tried to buy it back, but the people didn't want to sell it........
I'm doing good with this one however, winch is on the front, all bearings in rear replaced, sprockets upgraded to 12t/42t, the 42t is aluminum, the machine already had a performance HH Exhaust/Uni on it (Bonus).....just got to do the Cdi/coil combo, clutch, then it's just the big tire mod again, but that's probably not till next year......And oh yeah, all the top bars are getting painted black again....lol
k

Where did you get the sprockets?

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:39 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Mudslinger Motorsports, out of Alberta, cost me 25$ Canadian for the Sprocket + shipping to BC, I'm about 9hrs from them, and cost me $44 total, if I remember correctly, they have the very much sought after 12t Sprocket, the 42t I ordered from Azusa sprockets out of the US, it comes with a standard 1" bore center hole, then you have to get someone, or yourself to machine the bore to the proper 54mm, and correct bolt spacing, they are also aluminum which is a bonus, I believe that was $40US, I just gave my machinist the original 39t stock Sprocket with the new 42t Sprocket and said match it up........

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:41 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

54, or 58mm.....can't remember which one is correct for the center bore......

Profile Personal album