It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:18 pm

Post subject: 32mm pumper carb help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:54 pm 
Initiated

Ok, so I have a 2007 HH 250SS with the CF250. I have the HH Performance upgrade kit, UNI filter, Performance exhaust, with the upgraded jets that came with the kit. I have the Dr. Pulley Variator and clutch with 18g sliders and red spring. I also have the adjustable (yellow) CDI/coil pack set to about .3 degrees advanced.

I also just got and installed the 32mm pumper carb, my question is...does anyone know a good starting point for jets with my set-up? It seems to run fine, but it will die quick until it is warmed up. I think my choke might not be exactly right, as I had to rewire that to get it to work right.

Thanks for the help!

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: 32mm pumper carb help
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:15 pm 
Buggy Addict

A 130 to 135 main jet should be a good starting point.

Regarding the wiring, just have to get the temp sensor wire separated, and the other two go to the electric choke. To test it, apply 12volts to it and make sure the plunger extends after about 5 minutes.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:00 am 
Initiated

Thanks Sockman. I was thinking a 42 pilot and 142 main to start with. I do have, and will be using an AF meter to tune, but was hoping to get something close to take some of the tuning work out of the equation.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 am 
Buggy Addict

It's probably safer to start with a bigger jet, then go down as you tune it. But, if you're using a meter, it shouldn't take you long to dial in. Papa Rich has one and did that.

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:21 am 
Initiated

I would agree, bigger and richer is a better way to start than lean. I do know that these buggies run very well when a tad on the lean side. I will need it to be a little on the lean side anyway as the colder air here in Ohio right now. That will richen it up when summer rolls around. But, come spring time and summer, I will put the A/F meter back on and check it to make sure that I have a good year round set-up.

I was just looking for somewhere to start.

I was also trying to get more interest in the forum that has seemed pretty dead the last couple of years.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 am 
Buggy Addict

dshock20 wrote:
I was also trying to get more interest in the forum that has seemed pretty dead the last couple of years.

I can certainly appreciate that. Lot of knowledgeable folks on here have moved on to other interests. Shame. Would like to see more traffic here as well. I'm pretty limited in what I know about these things, but try to help where I can. I have other interests, too, but love to tinker on my buggy. I don't ride it near as much as my other stuff, but it's the most fun to work on.

Joylaris 400

Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:04 am 
Admin

I have my buggies at the the point where they are reliable and just need routine maintenance. Like others, I also have other interests that I enjoy outside of buggies. Work still takes 12 hrs out of my typical day, but at least it helps fund my interests. Right now all my spare funds are going to an upgraded RV in the next few months, so no new toys or farkles.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:19 am 
Initiated

I totally agree. I have a ton of other hobbies and interest and having knees surgery and kidney issues the last couple of years have kept me out of the drivers seat on my buggy. It was broke down for a while and I didn't seem to have much interest or time getting it back together and running. Having a more reliable 4 wheeler has been used for riding more too.

Having said that, another downfall to the HH 250SS is that HH no longer is making the 250, so the parts and interest have seem to dry up. I love riding the buggy when it is working right and reliable...but I have yet to get mine to that point. I get one thing fixed and another thing brakes. Hope to have a new throttle cable today and a few other parts that my buggy is in need of to get it back up and running so I can get the carb dialed in.

Once I get all of that done, I should just be able to ride it and do the routine stuff. Also, now that my chief shaft has been replace and with a straight one installed and the bearing in the CVT case, hopefully that helps my issue of eating up a belt about every 5 hours of ride time on this beast!!

Profile Personal album