It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Post subject: Register Polaris GTS as UTV in Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:08 pm 
Probie

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has with any success registered a GTS as a UTV and able to ride the same trails as four wheelers ? I have read the cheese trail allows the GTS. We have 1.6 acres so it is a decent size yard but it would really make me want to get one if I knew I could take it places elsewhere.
Thanks, Jim

Post subject: Re: Register Polaris GTS as UTV in Wisconsin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:32 pm 
Buggy Addict

I ve riden the cheese many times with buggies

Blade DX 150*
* on the juice for sale
HH 250ss
Quiksilver sr 440(went to a good home)
Joyner 650 SS
Red and black Redline Riots

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:41 pm 
Buggy Addict

Funnyman wrote:
I ve riden the cheese many times with buggies
Out of state buggies just need a trail sticker from the local hardware store to ride the Cheese Country Trail in wisconsin. If you're a Wisconsin resident then you need to be a registered atv or sxs.

Found that out the last time i was there. Had to go to a farm implement dealer down the road. Told them it was a 250cc Joyner sxs and paid $200 for it. Paid the taxes and registration fees and now can ride all the trails in Wi. that allow SxS's. :D

May want to try and register it before you go though and don't tell them it's a go-cart! You'll need the serial number and maybe a receipt of purchase, although the guy i dealt with didn't ask for a receipt. Good luck...

09' Joyner 250 SV
HID headlights - LED roof lights -LED tail lights - Endrigo head/cam - Lexx muffler - Robertson header - ITP rims - 25" Bighorns - Warn 3000 winch- camo wrap-Walker Evan shocks - Dr Pulley variator - 34mm KLX250SF carb

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:13 pm 
Buggy Addict

I was just re-reading this and looks like you haven't bought it yet. Might want to see if the dealer can register it if you're buying it new.

09' Joyner 250 SV
HID headlights - LED roof lights -LED tail lights - Endrigo head/cam - Lexx muffler - Robertson header - ITP rims - 25" Bighorns - Warn 3000 winch- camo wrap-Walker Evan shocks - Dr Pulley variator - 34mm KLX250SF carb

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 am 
Probie

Panzer wrote:
I was just re-reading this and looks like you haven't bought it yet. Might want to see if the dealer can register it if you're buying it new.

Yes Panzer you are correct I have not bought it yet. I looked at one last fall at a dealer in Delavan Wi.
I thought I read on here where a person registered his GTS 150 and then got a $175 fine for riding on a DNR ATV/UTV trail. I know people seem to ride the cheese trail without a problem but I was wondering if anyone has branched out from there to other DNR ATV trails without a problem/fine? I know there is Richard Bong state park that has ATV/dirt bike riding and wondering if they would turn a GTS 150 away? I know I am preaching to the choir but why the Gov. seems sour on these is beyond me. I am 53 years old and would feel and BE so much safer it one of these than a four wheeler :(
Anyone who has experience riding other DNR trails without a problem would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am 
Buggy Addict

I haven't ridden mine on anything other than the cheese trail in Wisconsin so not sure how the DNR would react to it on a state trail. The only problem I see is a SxS is defined as having a bed. I have storage in the rear wing on my buggy and might be able to argue it's a bed.

The GTS looks like it has a rack on the back so i'd consider that bed.
I agree that these would be less of a problem on trails than a 800cc SxS. There are also rules on the minimum weight and maximum weight of a SxS. Think they are just trying to keep home built buggies and go-karts off the trails. Might want to check with a dealer and see what they have to say about it.

09' Joyner 250 SV

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:03 am 
Buggy Addict

Here's what they consider legal. There used to be a minimum weight requirement but looks like they changed that. I don't see why the GTS wouldn't be legal....

Utility Terrain Vehicle – means any of the following:
• A commercially designed and manufactured motor driven device
that does not meet federal motor vehicle safety standards in effect
on July 1, 2012, that is not a golf cart, low-speed vehicle, dune buggy,
mini-truck, or tracked vehicle, that is designed to be used primarily
off of a highway, and that has, and was originally manufactured with,
all of the following:
◊ A net weight, without fluids, of 2,000 pounds or less.
◊ four or more low pressure or non-pneumatic tires.
36 • Definitions
◊ A cargo box installed by the manufacturer.
Definitions
◊ A steering wheel.
◊ A tail light.
◊ A brake light.
◊ Two headlights.
◊ A width of not more than 65 inches.
◊ A system of seat belts, or a similar system, for restraining each
occupant of the device in the event of an accident.
◊ A system of structural members designed to reduce the likelihood that
an occupant would be crushed as the result of a rollover of the device.

09' Joyner 250 SV

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:45 am 
Probie

Thanks Panzer, I agree the GTS fits all the criteria and actually a UTV no longer has to have a cargo box from the what I have read in the latest rules. I just don't like when you go to the Polaris website it calls the GTS the "top selling go kart" :/ I wish they would refer to it as a s×s on the website so I could say "see it says so right here" lol
-Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 pm 
Admin

When registering or titling these things, you have to be careful what you call them. The DMV or DOL for your state may consider a dune buggy a street legal convertible or an off-road sand rail while a go-kart may be considered a lawn kart powered by a horizontal shaft industrial engine or a race vehicle used at a track.

Polaris and Can-Am have muddled the classifications up even more with their street legal reverse trikes (two front wheels instead of two rear), which in my case has helped keep my buggy street plated.

Even my VW fiberglass buggy is in a gray area. Mine is considered a convertible VW where others are classified as a vintage roadster or a custom or kit build which brings along higher insurance rates.

I found getting the right classification for your intended use at initial registration is very important. In my state, it almost takes act of God to get reclassified once a title has been issued here.

Profile Personal album