It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: To all BuggyNews members
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:06 pm 
Buggy News Founder RIP

This is Sue Hopkins, Steve Hopkins widow. For those of you that didn't know Steve, he founded and built this site. He is not even acknowledge on it anymore.He wasn't even acknowledge at the latest Rally. He passed away almost one year ago on September 10th, 2007.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, the BuggyNews website will have to be terminated. The website is still in legal name of Steve, therefore legal property of his estate. His estate is STILL not closed. I am in debt up to my eyeballs(due to bills left unpaid under his estate in his name) and unless I liquidate all in his name the probate court will not be satisfied. I have sold his Buggynews trailer, and I am trying to sell his Blade, his other two Buggies aren't working. I also am trying to sell his dirt bike and old motorcycles as parts. I literally have to sell anything that was his, in his name, to settle his probate.

I know this will wee wee off many people. I know many will think of me as a female dog. I am sorry. This is not being done to hurt anyone or in any form of anger. It is just plain business and numbers and facts. I am doing what my probate lawyers have directed me to do.

No one wants to buy BuggyNews. I have tried. I had it officially appraised, at my expense, which cost over $400.00. I put it up for sale months ago. No one wants it because the site has dropped in traffic and no one feels it's a money maker. The site is dying with Steve.

Any dealers that have ad space running for a lengthy amount of time will need to get a refund as I look to shut the site down soon. Jamie has been handling all the banner space so he needs to let me know what it is so they can be refunded. We will be selling no new adspace. Google adsense is shutting down.

I told Jamie back on 5/16/08 I was putting the site up for sale. My words exactly:

"Jamie,

I am selling BuggyNews.com. I have NO choice. Probate insists it is sold to settle Steve's estate. He left me in debt"

"BuggyNews will go up for sale. If you wish to surrender site admin, that is fine. I will have someone take over. I am sorry it has come to this, but the probate must be settled and this is the only way. "

I had a friend prepared to take over site admin and Jamie said No, he'd continue until the sale of the site.

From Jamie:

"As far as Buggynews goes, I will continue to be the admin until it is sold. There is a rally coming up the end of next month that and there is still a lot of organizing to be done. I too am sorry that you have to sell the site but I understand that you have to do what is best for you and the kids.

Jamie"

As far as my home life, it is not easy here. They can't take anything that was in joint names, that is why I have my home and the other we were rehabbing to sell. I am trying to sell that one but no one is buying. The market sucks. I am trying to hold down two mortgages, bills, I can't drive due to my disability(lupus and vertigo). I have 4 kids-Joey has autism, Michaela looks like she is developing Lupus like me, and little Mitchell has scoliosis and asthma. Steve's health insurance runs out at the beginning of september and I will have to pay for Cobra which is astronomical. But I have no choice.

So, this was not a "sudden" decision. I wanted to save BuggyNews. After all, Steve created. it. I am so sorry it has come to this, but my family is literally at stake here. Steve didn't take any of this into consideration.

That also is important for me to share with you . I never did share this because two senior members and I at first felt it best to keep it private. Steve was not a "sudden death". He was a suicide. I won't share all the details, but basically he died by carbon monoxide inhalation. He kissed me goodbye one night and I never saw him alive again. We worried ourselves sick. He was missing for 5 days before they found him dead in the family van far from our home. It was a hellish experience, they wouldn't let me see him. Me and my four children are now all in counseling. Steve simply said I a note "I have lost the will to live and it is in no way your fault".

He had been extremely sleep deprived, overworked, had extremely high blood pressure, was stressed and I now beleieve was masking depression. He held everything inside. He was so much the type A personality. I tried to get him to see a doctor for his blood pressure and he wouldn't go. I begged him to slow down and rest, and he wouldn't. I told him to get help rehabbing the house or sell it "as is". His answer:"I can't afford to hire someone to help and we can't afford to lose the money on what the house would sell for now." I just couldn't get through to him.He would say: "Everything will be better when I get this house done and sold". That never happened.

I later came to find out at least two of his friends offered to help out rehabbing the house for free, and he turned them down. Why? I don't know.

My reason for telling you all this, there is a lesson to learn in his death. He held everthing in, he pushed until he had nothing left in him and then still kept pushing. He burned himself out at 36. Don't let the stressors in life get you down. Steve stopped his hobbies. Stopped flying remote control planes, riding buggies, he was a ball of stress. I would beg him to go out and relax and I would get "snapped" at that there was too much to do. Don't let your life end up that way. Always have an outlet for stress, (a healthy one!)

I had to tell his little children, ages 5 and 7 at the time, that their Daddy was dead.When they asked me how, I had to some how delicately explain suicide. Don't ask me how I did, I was numb. I never want anyone else to experience that hell.

Please know I wish the site could be saved, but unless it is sold, it must be shut down. I am being placed in an awful position. What else is new?

- Sue Hopkins

2005 Blade 150 DX: 4 Valve head, 10 gram rollers, East Side pipe, uni

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:43 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

OK guys this fine lady is a big bind. so respect her decision.

I would like to know how much this site is forsale for.

07 GSR 150 Carter Talon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:21 pm 
Buggified

Hello Sue,
I havent visited the site much lately because my buggy hasnt been running so I just hadnt felt like being on here,I'm very sorry to see the site go,thats 2 buggy websites that have folded in the past month that have helped me tremendously,{yours and yerfer.net}While it may wee wee off some people that buggynews is shutting down,I dont think theyre ticked at you,just the fact that it is shutting down.I think any reasonable person understands your position,and if anyone thinks your a female dog for it they to me are a low life son of a female dog.I can not imagine the pressure you are under at this point,all I can do is pray for you and your family and hope someday youll pull thru this,good luck to you

roketa gk-19 250 cc,15 gram sliders and clutch spring from glade,36 tooth sprocket from tractor supply,unifilter with redneck intake,drpulley hit clutch from tnegg,50 watt amp and speakers from blade powersports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:50 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Sue I'm sorry to hear how bad things are for you and your family. I can only hope they can get better. Those of us who have been on here from the beginning will always remember Steve for creating this site.

In the interest of saving this site I wonder if we could start having "supporting members" like many other forums do. I'm sure there are many here who wouldn't mind paying to help keep buggynews alive. Of course I don't know how this works legally and if it can be made to work in this situation but it's a thought. I have gained a lot from this site and feel it is a great community and would hate to see it go away.

Jamie

9 gram rollers, 2004 gear reduction, Uni Filter w/Redneck intake, Gutted Exhaust, Bando HP Coil, Sandman/Blister reverse bracket

http://twitter.com/spool77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:09 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Spool wrote:
In the interest of saving this site I wonder if we could start having "supporting members" like many other forums do. I'm sure there are many here who wouldn't mind paying to help keep buggynews alive. Of course I don't know how this works legally and if it can be made to work in this situation but it's a thought. I have gained a lot from this site and feel it is a great community and would hate to see it go away.

Jamie

I agree. I hope something can be worked out that benefits the family and keeps the site going. There are few things on the net that I would pay for but this site is definitely an exception. The info,help,contacts,pics,reviews,manuals,links I do not think there is another site that even comes close.

This is the first I heard of the site being for sale.

Yerf Dog 150- SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:30 pm 
Initiated

Hate to hear the bad news.I guess the there won't be much reason to get on the net anymore as this is the only site I really care to visit.
Best Wishes to the Hopkins family
David

2007 Hammerhead 250SS Blue-stock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:12 pm 
Admin

I too am saddened to hear this news--and it comes as a complete surprise. Steve left instructions that BN be turned over to either Jabo or myself with the Google Adsense money to remain going to Sue for an unspecified amount of time. There have been numerous attempts to resolve the ownership issue but Sue has retained legal control all along.

I certainly hope this can be settled so BN can continue as Steve would have wanted. I've heard no price or even that it was available.

2 Polaris RZRs & a Dune 150. Ridge Runner--Gone. Yerfdog 3206--Gone (but you never forget your 1st!).
Buggy pictures, mods, ideas, how-to's:
http://tinyurl.com/8ltm8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:14 pm 

I have emailed asking about buying the site outright. if people are serious, while I am new, I would be more then happy to gather some info on this "contributing members" idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:57 pm 
BN Elite Member

This is very disturbing news. I have been a member of this forum nearly from the day of its inception. I have grown to admire many that are members.

This is a great resource for many out there seeking advice that are looking for their first machine or already have one. If you machine is having issues then there undoubtedly someone on this forum that can help.

I am sure that somehow, some "thing" can be done to insure that BN will continue while at the same time ease the financial burden on the Hopkins family.

I wish you all the best, Sue.

Glade Mason

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:00 am 
Sue, the positions that have been forced on you and the decisions that you have to make concerning the well being of your family are perfectly understandable. I too am surprised upon learning the site has been up for sale without the knowledge of the buggy news community.Steve has never been nor ever will be forgotten by those of us that have had the pleasure to meet and know him. There are some of us that are willing to put forth the effort to continue this site not only as a source of interest but as a legacy to Steve. Sue, if you are willing to state the stipulations and terms of sale for us, I am sure there will be a serious and sincere effort to achieve a win-win position for all of us. Please understand that this site is more than just a link on the web but rather has evolved into a large and diversified family to which you are a part of. It distresses the whole family to learn of ones members hardship and as a family should do, we want to help.

Post subject: Mark
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:58 am 

There was no "legal" contract" between you, Jamie or Steve. Steve requests were merely ramblings of a severly depressed man the night before he was going to comitt suicide typed on his laptop. He was desperately "dumping" his life responsibilities. I was left with a mess to deal with and was falling apart myself and trying to have a funeral for my 36 year old husband. I did what I could.

There is no legal contract. You turned down the site admin.

This is what the law states:

Both Probate lawyers said that you can't "give" away such property. Even a website such as this that has value. The creditors can come after me cause it was Steve's property.

Jamie was and has been acting as site admin, he was the only one I had to notify at the time of the sale. I didn't feel I had to announce the selling in hopes of finding a buyer and smooth transition.

The ONLY way this can work is if it is bought. Probate is closing. I am having a meeting this week in hopes of finding out how soon probate can be wrapped up.

And Mark, the adsense is of no benefit to me-all of it will be paid back to probate once my house sells. It was used to pay my second mortgage so it was considered "Steve's" equity from buggynews and must be paid back. So I have made NO MONEY from this site. The adsense stops this month.

This site has benefitted-NOT ME

I want nothing from it's members-just understanding-if possible-and peace. No donations-No fees to keep the site running. I am done.

I have been given a bottom line by my lawyers-sell it or shut it down.

If any is interested they can contact me.

Again,I am sorry, but it is what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 am 
Admin

Sue I've sent you an email.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:46 am 
Buggy Crazed

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles and sadness. My families thoughts are with you.

I will gladly pay a memeber fee for this site. If it wasn't for this site, I would never of even bought a buggy. Everthing I know and learned about these crazy little things comes from the "family" here on this site. This site makes it because of all the freindly and caring people who share there info with others for nothing, rather just to help someone out. Well on that note I say lets help out this site in return.

I know times are tough right now, but not as tough as Sue's, or ours will be when we dont have answers to the issues on our buggies. Think about it, We all can pitch in something. There are alot of us on here, and even a little bit from alot, becomes alot, quicker than you think.

If there is someone out there really willing to buy this...I offer you my services of what ever I can do to help.

Duro Power Grips 25x8 and 25x10

Modified Baja Dune 150 - SOLD

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:50 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

Sue, I sent a pm, email

http://www.mpsracing.net
www.mpsracing.net

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:34 pm 
Buggy Addict

to all that are sending pm emails i think and i speek for all bn members that we would help you buy this site we would all chip in our money so you could keep this site running
my eyes are teering up reading this becasue this is like my family on here i hope we can stick together

All rides with "La Familia" can be found at
http://www.utvunderground.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:20 pm 
BuggyNews Dedicated

Geek, I sent you a PM

DAZON 150 double

UNI, 130jet, BIGE built intake tube, custom built exhaust, HO coil, adjustable CDI, iridium plug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:44 pm 
Buggy Addict

thanks man but y me

All rides with "La Familia" can be found at
http://www.utvunderground.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

ageekwithabuggy wrote:
to all that are sending pm emails i think and i speek for all bn members that we would help you buy this site we would all chip in our money so you could keep this site running
my eyes are teering up reading this becasue this is like my family on here i hope we can stick together

I agree.

Yerf Dog 150- SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:46 pm 
Buggified

I hate it to but.I understand she has to take care of herself and the family.God Bless and keep Praying.God will take care of you all he wants you to do is follow him.My family will also keep you and your family in our Prayers.James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:21 am 
Buggy Addict

Sue,

Please let us help you... Just say the word and we'll be there in whatever way you need us to be....

You know how to contact me...
Please do.

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next