It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 pm

Post subject: new to me
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:49 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

As 00dawg knows I am a trader. Got rid of a jeep for another rhino. This time I picked up a 09 700. It has a few issues but nothing major that I can tell. It has a 2-3" lift with 28" zillas. I really must say I didn't really know what I was missing until I got a 700, the efi is hands down the best thing Yamaha did for the rhino. My intent is to swap a few parts from the 660 to the 700 due to it being my primary rig. Will try to get pics in a few days. Been to busy to mess with extras. Gonna get it prepped and ready for a new years ride at wheelin in the country. I plan to ride my jeep and use the rhino as back up or if 00 goes he can try it out.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject: Re: new to me
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 pm 
Buggy Addict

Neat. I've been thinking about a Rhino myself!

http://odessa.craigslist.org/snw/4784057597.html

Has a few alterations lol

Roketa GK13 Sold :(
Gen 5 VFR800 engine swap
Chopped roll cage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:25 am 
Buggy Addict

saaaaaay whaaaaat,,,,, you wanting a piece of this old carbed 660 here :lol:
i have been around a couple but have never drove one.i have gotten mixed reviews but no serious talk what they was meaning. i know one said is drank the gas but he had i think 27'' crammed under it with no lift,thats been a while ago now. some of those guys went to the rzr's they were more of the i wanta go fast crowd and thrash one.
what are you meaning more power start easier?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:18 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

what are you meaning more power start easier?[/quote]

The easier start. Power I don't really know yet. It seems to be ok with the 28s but I think 27s would be better.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:24 pm 
Buggy Addict

mikeparker wrote:
what are you meaning more power start easier?

The easier start. Power I don't really know yet. It seems to be ok with the 28s but I think 27s would be better.[/quote]

i know carbs can be a pain in the butt but i think you had problems why the 660 was hard to start.i know i have cuss this one here until i got rid of the vacuum fuel pump.i know you went to 12 volt pump also.
i keep stabilizer in gas and hoping its keeping this carb as clean as it has on my buggy carb
i just started rhino today been setting a week in cold weather in garage.i just turn pump on wait a second or so pull choke and it starts,have to let it warm a little.when i started driving vehicles was still carbed engines with automatic chokes that always messed up.

fuel injected engines has taken the work out of starting one.
show us some pictures later nothing wrong with going newer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:48 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Still got the 660. Gonna take a few parts off it and put on the 700. I want the 700 to be as capable/reliable as I can make it by swapping parts with the 660 and a minimum budget. Already put a few parts on and it has a few. Has a nice rear bumper, PO put a car looking reusable air filter on. I swapped seats and put seatbelts in as the PO removed the original. Prolly gonna need rear brake pads or at least bled as they are a lil weak. Gonna swap front bumpers and maybe a few other things.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:09 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Here's the pic finally.

Attachments:
1225141522a.jpg
1225141522a.jpg [ 104.55 KiB | Viewed 6710 times ]
1225141522.jpg
1225141522.jpg [ 112.6 KiB | Viewed 6710 times ]
1225141525.jpg
1225141525.jpg [ 113.76 KiB | Viewed 6710 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:42 pm 
Buggy Addict

not a bad looking machine mike does it have 4 wheel brakes or just the brake on the drive line like the other one.
i wouldn't mine to have fender flairs and that back bumper.
there really isn't any protection on a rhino on back end. i'm always afraid some one is going to pop me in the ace and damage a lot of things.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:46 pm 
Buggy Crazed

I can tell you from driving it in the yard, the 700 is so much quieter than the 660. Its much more enjoyable to sit in just from the noise lvl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:51 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

pud wrote:
not a bad looking machine mike does it have 4 wheel brakes or just the brake on the drive line like the other one.
i wouldn't mine to have fender flairs and that back bumper.
there really isn't any protection on a rhino on back end. i'm always afraid some one is going to pop me in the ace and damage a lot of things.

I thought the same thing pud, especially with my kiddos learning to drive. I built the one on red one and it is solid enough to use on a truck or jeep. As far as the brakes it has 4 wheel disc and the parking brake is still on the driveline, cable operated. Check with Trail Armor they have one very similar to the one on the rear of the blue.

Got a set of heavy duty half doors that I am trying to figure out how to mount. They will offer more protection from trail debris than the stockers, will be better in the winter and when my least young one rides.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:03 pm 
Buggy Addict

[quote="mikeparker"

I thought the same thing pud, especially with my kiddos learning to drive. I built the one on red one and it is solid enough to use on a truck or jeep. As far as the brakes it has 4 wheel disc and the parking brake is still on the driveline, cable operated. Check with Trail Armor they have one very similar to the one on the rear of the blue.

Got a set of heavy duty half doors that I am trying to figure out how to mount. They will offer more protection from trail debris than the stockers, will be better in the winter and when my least young one rides.[/quote]

oh ok on the brakes i thought they had done away with the one on drive shaft.

yep i would like a bumper but i use the dump bed a lot hauling things
even the way i have the hitch turn on it now tail get hits it when bed is up.
its cool you let your kids learn how to drive.when your out riding with others its easy to hit someone if your not paying close attention a couple years ago about pop my uncle in the rearend.a momma pheasant jumped into trail with baby chicks his brake lights wasn't working,he stop fast it was close.
last year we were going around some quads 3 or 4 of them with small kid in middle.two had went by them then me and a quad behind me. he started moving over into my lane putting me up on a bank i was watching him and quad behind me in mirror foot resting on brake all at the same time :) it got hairy for a moment it didn't make me mad. i didn't want to hit the kid or hurt him.his dad had a talk with him i think about that but like i said i wasn't mad i gave the kid a pop later :) they have to learn some time and his dad explained things to him

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:03 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Finally got to give the 700 a good shake down. Last weekend my son a buddy and I carried my jeep and rhino to a off-road park and watched the big boys race a little. Prolly the muddiest I have ever seen the park. The rhino did great most of the day, with the shifter being hard to get into low range nagging issue. The worst problem came as we were getting ready to leave. We were kinda running different directions getting things gathered/dispersed, pulled a dead rzr 4seater out with the jeep and help from another jeep ( it was that slick). Buddy was driving rhino stopped and killed it, and would not start back. After listening to the noise decided to take it to the shop (back trouble) to get it fixed. Turned out to be a one way starter clutch completely quit. Just thankful it was right next to the tow rig and trailer when it died. Hooked the jeep up and towed it on the trailer all together( thankful for a 24' trailer).

Can't wait to get back out on the trails.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:10 pm 
Buggy Addict

sounds like a good time mike, sucks on the break down. was starter clutch and labor much if you don't mind me asking.
your going to have to make a camera man out of your son so we can see some pictures
but i understand i'm getting like screw the camera i'm just going to have fun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:55 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Labor was about $100 (not bad) for 2 hrs. The parts included a oil change since it was due and they had the side of the engine off. Gear cost anywhere from $35ebay-$130local stealership and a gasket. It is located on passenger side and have to remove the stator part off the crankshaft to get to it. I didn't have tool plus standing on my head to get to it was not an option with my back acting up. I let my buddy borrow the rhino yesterday for yard and kids and he said it may have a oil leak after looking under it coming out the door this morning. If it does I will take it back to fella that repaired it to fix, since it didn't leak before. I think it is old oil filter oil but have not looked personally.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:02 pm 
Buggy Addict

mikeparker wrote:
Labor was about $100 (not bad) for 2 hrs. The parts included a oil change since it was due and they had the side of the engine off. Gear cost anywhere from $35ebay-$130local stealership and a gasket. It is located on passenger side and have to remove the stator part off the crankshaft to get to it. I didn't have tool plus standing on my head to get to it was not an option with my back acting up. I let my buddy borrow the rhino yesterday for yard and kids and he said it may have a oil leak after looking under it coming out the door this morning. If it does I will take it back to fella that repaired it to fix, since it didn't leak before. I think it is old oil filter oil but have not looked personally.

that was not bad i will have to remember that yep dealer parts are high.
yep i knew where it was at looks like a pain to get to and gas tank on that side too.i also understand about back and things.after i read your post i was looking over my service manual it don't look fun. guys at shops have the tools and rack to put them up on so there not standing on their head.
also the oil filter is in a place that will make a mess and might look like a leak.i think i'll do another ride then change the oil in this one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:07 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Finally made time to fix the aggravating shifting. Cut the shifter about a inch above linkage adjuster and added 1inch. After reinstalling had to adjust the linkage a little. It now shifts in low and reverse as it should. No more of jerking and forcing to hopefully engage. Cant wait to try it out on the trails.

Attachments:
0129161700.jpg
0129161700.jpg [ 59.01 KiB | Viewed 5455 times ]

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:46 pm 
Buggy Addict

mikeparker wrote:
Finally made time to fix the aggravating shifting. Cut the shifter about a inch above linkage adjuster and added 1inch. After reinstalling had to adjust the linkage a little. It now shifts in low and reverse as it should. No more of jerking and forcing to hopefully engage. Cant wait to try it out on the trails.

looks good was this a new mod meaning or has others done this too.
i guess i have just gotten used to the shifter on rhino here but not everything is the same yours may have been way worse to get in and out of low and reverse.
i know i clunked the heeeeell out of the high side the other day while plowing snow getting in to big of hurry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:34 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Its on the 09 700 that I have had a little over a year. got to looking on the linkage. There was slack where the linkage ball mounted to shifter. Might could have welded back to tighten it, but went the best way. It shifts positively now. If it clunks or grinds now it is operator error. My son liked that it shifted so much better.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:07 pm 
Buggy Addict

if everything works fine that is all that matters mike.i was just curious if this was a mod others had done also

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:25 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

That I dont know. I knew I needed more throw to get far enough forward and back, so I did what I thought was the best to get proper distance. May go back and shorten the linkage just a hair more to get the low light to come on properly but that is the least of my worry.

I think I had seen this style mod 1 time online, but that was at the very least 1 year ago.

Profile Personal album