It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:17 am

Post subject: linhai 260\ yam magesty etc power up hill
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:12 pm 

Having trouble getting up hills fully loaded, buggy feels like it's down power but compression is good (9 bar+) carb', spark etc good, good road speed (60kmh+) but hills are a problem
It has been suggested a stronger clutch main spring(+15%) might be the answer. I have already fitted 11 gram rollers.
What should I do to the clutch/mainspring/triple springs to make it a hill climer?

Post subject: Re: linhai 260\ yam magesty etc power up hill
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:20 pm 
Admin

The main spring will help the transmission downshift faster and keep more tension on the drive belt, but will not help that much in climbing hills. You need to make the engine breathe easier to create more power and gear it down if possible. If you do not have a chain drive, look at lower profile rear tyres to effectively lower your gearing.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:07 pm 

Using std carb but with Twin Air filter. Also thinking of fitting 32mm stainless silencer .
Dust is a major problem so that is why I fitted the Twin Air, the paper ones were useless and caused dust to ruin a few carbs and piston ring sets.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 pm 
Admin

I use an oiled two-layer UNI foam filter covered by an Outerwears water resistant sleeve. Many times the sleeve can be removed and shaken clean without having to wash and re-oil the foam.

My exhaust uses a 1.5" (38mm) header to a 2" (50mm) muffler with selectable baffle plates to control noise and back pressure.

Porting and polishing the head will do wonders for airflow through the engines and give you a noticeable performance increase with the two items above.

I use a long duration cam for additional torque. You can do the same or look for a high lift cam for additional horsepower. Some of the high lift lobes available create problems with valve spring or piston clearance, so be careful if shopping for a horsepower cam.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:00 pm 

Great ideas, I only wish I could act on them, changing 60 rear tyres at $60 a pop isn't an option and we already have enough problems getting the 255/60-10 Maxis as it is, we can't get 255/40-10 and as the Linhai 260 (XYKD260 Moon) is a fixed gearbox and differential I will have to concentrate on improving engine power, although the thought of porting and polishing 15 heads is daunting as it the cost of upping the 30mm carb' to 32mm or even 34mm along with inlet manifolds.

A change of silence could be a good move, heaven only knows the standard ones are really crap and the new ones have a CAT built on too.
I have already fitted 32mm flexible joints in place of the crape Chinese ones that break up after a week or so and I have my eye on a stainless steel a straight through silence to which I will add a DB killer / spark arrester.

We have fitted Twin-Air filters and that has reduced ring wear by 80%, I haven't done a ring swap in two months and it used to be every 6 to 8 weeks, (very dusty here in the summer).

Concentrating on the CVT system, changing the main clutch spring for a Polini blue +15% didn't do anything at all. we have replaced the variator rollers with lighter 11 gram ones and that certainly helped along with removing the factory grease gung and using silicone spray and I am thinking along the lines that if I fit smaller diameter ones, say 22mm to 20mm the variator wouldn't reach maximum closure and thereby hold the belt in a lower ratio and as we are not interested in top speed it might work. Anyone tried this?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:30 am 

Trying a new idea, I have inserted a 3mm steel ring (wire coat hanger) in the top of the variator under the top cover so the slider stops short, this holds the variator in a lower gear so to speak, we are off to find a steep hill and see if that works. If there is an improvement I will try adding a sleeve (silicone tubing) to that and increase the stop to see if it's better.
I did think to put a stop on the clutch to stop that opening but of course the variator would still be trying to open it putting extra strain on the belt, so I thought it better to stop the process at the front .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:02 am 

Well that worked, a bit, hill climbing better and no difference on the road so now need to up the stop another couple of mm and try that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:28 am 

Found that buggy had pitted valves and compression down to 5:1 so changed head for service exchange one I always keep handy and back to good.
I am getting bad valve wear (95oct fuel) inlet valve seat wear and exhaust valve badly pitted. Anyone having the same problem?

The twin-Air filters have reduced ring wear dramatic and ring replacement due to 'smoking' has almost stopped as opposed to every 6 to 7 weeks per buggy.

The 'www.everyexhaustpart.com flexible joints have now done over three months HARD driving and still good so that is another success.

I need to design a stainless exhaust so that's next on the list and if one works then it will in production for 32mm pipes.

Carburettors are still a problem with stalling and stopping and if anyone knows of a 30mm carb' that doesn't need a clout twice every tour I would love to hear of it.

Still need to increase hill climbing ability and having exhausted exterior changes, tyres etc I am sure the answer lies in the variator, a smaller diameter or restriction on the standard one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:31 am 

Still trying to get a suitable buggy to replace our tiring fleet of 15 GS Moon, Xingling, Linhai 260s.

Not wishing to spend 12 to 20k on Arctic cat, Polaris etc and dismissing chain drive and multi gear transmission etc we are looking at the Fangpower FX-1 400 predator but it lacks the EEC certification needed to import to Europe, strange!!??

There are those who laugh at the solid rear axle design but that served the Willis Jeep well in WWII as well as most vehicles without fancy IRS, that brake, split boots, snap shafts, etc.

Fitting Microsquirt EFI on a couple to see how things go so we can scrap the CV carburettors that have been the cause of too many problems in the dirt and dust. Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:08 am 
Buggy Crazed

Trailmaster 300 XRX or XRS. Or maybe the Trailmaster UTV's may fit your replacement needs. But they're not F.I. though.

2015 Hammerhead GTS 250 SOLD
2008 Kazuma Coyote 150-SOLD

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:39 pm 

We have gone for the CFMoto F550 (Quadzilla) with EFi too. so 11 on the way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 am 

There are here and number plates on and already on tour, very large compared to the GS Moon XYKD260 and a couple of guys who have tried both say The Moons are " more fun", but the 550s will stand the usage, we hope, certainly built stronger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:21 pm 
Buggy Addict

Hi, does the CF moto still have 5 year warranty. Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 pm 
Admin

Canada offered a 5-year. US appears to be a year.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm 
Buggy Addict

PGH wrote:
Canada offered a 5-year. US appears to be a year.

Correct. Just the one year here in the states.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB