It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:27 am

Post subject: Kandi 150cc kga-2 engine issue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 am 

Hi everyone, picked up a 2009 model on Sunday for 425! Great deal it was in great condition other than a few little things. The guy said the transmission was blown. Now worries I know a transmission guy! So I get it hope, pull the carb do a complete cleaning. Get it back on and it fires right up, but would only idle. Played around with the float at different levels finally drilled out the plug over the air fuel mixture screw and got it running really good. It starts, idols, and revs with no issues. Next on to the dreaded issue with the trans. When I was at the guys house I played with the shifter it felt fine, like it was going in to gear. Sp I thought is might just be a belt, which it was! So a new belt was bought. Went to put it on and couldn't figure out how to get the darn thing on. I own Polaris atvs those are simple just put the belt on one side and force it over the other. Anyway, after a you tube video I figure out the variator cooling plate has to be taken off then the belt put. So I take it off and then check the variator too. Low and behold all of the slider weights are junk and the vairator was broke. Oh and my buddy broke the cooling plate getting it off. So I ordered all new parts for that. Those came in and I put everything back together. New cooling plate, new "performance" variator because they didnt have a stock one so they gave me an upgraded one for free and new 11g slider weights. I also checked the clutch and it looked good. Installed everything and it fired right up and drove. Now after that long winded story. Here is the problem. When I got to drive it, it is really really sluggish at first. Once it gets up to speed about 25mph or so it is fine. But when you go to take off it is ridiculous slow, almost like it is flooding out. Also it will not go up my drive way if I stop on it and my driveway is not sloped very much. It will die out. Any ideas what the issue is. I was thinking maybe the electric choke is stuck open but no idea. If I sit there and rev it it is fine, peppy almost. But in gear it sucks. I am use to my polaris 500 scrambler so I have nothing to compare it too.

Post subject: Re: Kandi 150cc kga-2 engine issue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:50 am 
Admin

There are two lengths of transmission cases on the GY6. Did you get the shorter 723mm belt? The longer one is for scooter that have larger diameter wheels driven directly off the transmission.

When you assemble the variator back together, you have to make sure you hold the back plate and inside pulley half together until you get the belt on and the outside pulley/fan installed. If you do not, the weights will dislodge and the variator will be stuck in low ratio (high gear) making it feel sluggish.

Under load your engine may be sucking air in through cracks or leaks in the intake elbow between the carburetor and head. While idling the engine, spray carburetor cleaner around the joining surfaces and listen for an idle change. If the engine speed changes, you have a leak.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:26 pm 

Hi I got the 743-20-30. Which I believe is correct for this one. Any shorter and it wouldnt reach. Everywhere i looked including the old belt was a 743 for it. I thought I held it all together but wont hurt to pull it all back apart and check the variator again. Wish the stupid exhaust didnr have to come off. I will check the intake first thlugh. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:06 pm 
Admin

743 is the correct length - That was my typo. I wanted to make sure you were not running the 842mm length.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm 

Thanks! Ill try the other stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 pm 

OK so its not the intake elbow. No drop or increase in RPM's when I sprayed it down. So next will be the variator. Dumb quesiton though, I got sliders instead of rollers, and I got 11g sliders. Which way do they go in. I think I put them in so the "pointy" side, is pointed towards the center not towards the outside of the variator. Is the the way they go in? And yes pointy is a technical buggy term. Also any chance it could be the electric choke someone not working right. Not sure if that would do anything as it doesnt have power hot or cold.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:13 am 

Ok looked at some youtube videos. I may have them in wrong. Hope that is the case and its an easy fix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:39 pm 

So the sliders were installed wrong. Switched those around and now its great!