It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:15 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twister HammerHead SS 250
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:11 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

EJ Mac wrote:
I would still be on the phone with a lawyer to see if I had any legal ground to stand on and demand a replacement as I would never feel safe in that thing and it is clearly a friggin' lemon.

That was my last option and I didn't want to use it but considering the circumstances I think I will have to to find out where I stand and to protect me as if its having this many problems now and if they don't want to replace but just repair, what happends when the warranty runs out. Also they told me the warranty was for 6 months full coverage, the book says 90 days kart and engine related parts. Boy this just keeps getting better and better.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

ChuckOrlando wrote:
My problem is the steel failed. Thats not a bad weld. There is nothin they can do to repair faulty steel except replace the steel. Now if you have to settle for this buggy then I would take some steel and brace this area very well. would go up the vert bars a few inch's and down the latt bars even more

So from what you see, it was weak metal not a bad weld? I thought and was told it was just the weld. Weak metal is very bad in my opinion. especialy if its supposed to protect me from being rolled over on by a 800lb machine. I will not settle for this buggy. I want a replacement. If I can't get a replacement then I would just rather sell the machine and take my losses and go somewhere that if anything like this was to happen they would take care of it, like Yamaha. I feel I should have stayed in familiar territory instead of going to a buggy.

Last edited by lordnikon on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:53 am 
Buggy Addict

I understand why you feel that way, but I think you just got a lemon. My Hammerhead - identical to yours - has held up very well over the years. Hope it works out for ya. They really are a lot of fun.

2009 Hammerhead 250SS (it's got a few mods)
Joylaris 400

Gone, but not forgotten: 2005 Carter Talon, 2007 Hammerhead 250SS
Proud member of Team FIB

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:58 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Sockman wrote:
I understand why you feel that way, but I think you just got a lemon. My Hammerhead - identical to yours - has held up very well over the years. Hope it works out for ya. They really are a lot of fun.

Yea I have been told that by many owners of the ss250, and I wanted to be one of them. Its frustrating hearing that I was the only one with so many problems. And others have told me they have beat theirs, I won't even take a small jump. The shocks feel like they bottom out over a small hole in the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:37 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Here is the list I have for the dealer from most serious or priority down to least serious.

1. both front welds for roll cage are broken
2. sputters when throttle is pressed & almost no power
3. won't start and stay running when cold unless throttle is pressed several times. (turned idle screw up as directed by dealer and it did nothing, it still stalls.
4. pos wire loose on battery, nut is missing. (saw this first day and told them when it was in for reapirs first time as I did with other things and after a week it was returned to me unrepaired.
5. loud rattle/tap in near engine not sure what this is. (started 1 week before engine problem but it sat for that week also, could be unrelated)
6. bulge on inner sidewall on ft ft tire, also told them on first repair visit.
7. There is a lock for the steering wheel, incase someone hot wires it they can't turn the wheel, I don't have a key for it. They changed the ignition cylinder last repair visit and I am wondering if that took the same key and they didn't replace that. I was told it would have an ajustable steering wheel and the lock was there instead.
8. LR fender snapped off at metal bracket. (soft metal maybe)
9. RF fender snapped off at metal bracket. (same thing as above)
10. does not play music through speakers when mp3 player is plugged into jack on dash. ( I have to plug it directly into the main speaker and only the main speaker works the other does not. The plug to the other speaker is all bent up and will not plug in. I believe the wire from the mp3 jack on the dash to the speaker is missing, I also told them about this on the first repair visit.)
11. Both front T/S wires have the insulation cut from the loose front roll bars.
12. Drivers side head rest is Broken. The lock for the adjustment does not lock.

That's twelve things wrong and I'm still making sure that is all of it. I also have video of everything incase the dealer wants be anymore difficult than they already are. I was also told today that they were hit with alot of buggies to service this weekend and to wait till tomorrow and they will have room again. I will post a link to some video today to show everything.

Last edited by lordnikon on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:04 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

ChuckOrlando wrote:
If you look you can see the weld still painted. Then on some parts you got a good chunk of steel. It may have started with a weld but I doubt it. If it was just a weld you would only have a break the shape of the weld with a indention with sparkly crumbly looking metal. Besides, what torqued it to break 2 welds
lordnikon wrote:
I have attached pictures of where the welds broke.

Oh ok I see looking back at the pictures it does look like it ripped off below the weld. I will give tj powersports another call. And see if they want pictures. Thank you. As for what caused it to break I don't know. I was riding on hard packed dirt nothing serious, when the drivers side broke on the way back the passangers side broke. I have never took it on any type of jump, and never flipped it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:17 pm 
Buggy Addict

lordnikon, i can answer a few of these issues:
for #3, i would say the choke (fuel enrichener) is bad
for #7, yes , the key should be the same as ignition, mine is.
for #8 & #9....those brackets SUCK!! they are cheap and always break.
for #10, i would say the patch cable going from the dash plug to your speaker is pinched or has been pulled on. that is the only thing running back to the speaker to carry the music.

hope this helps. dave

2009 Carbide - 39T sprocket, CDI, intake & larger tires
1994 Jeep YJ- SOLD

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:24 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

kid4life wrote:
lordnikon, i can answer a few of these issues:
for #3, i would say the choke (fuel enrichener) is bad
for #7, yes , the key should be the same as ignition, mine is.
for #8 & #9....those brackets SUCK!! they are cheap and always break.
for #10, i would say the patch cable going from the dash plug to your speaker is pinched or has been pulled on. that is the only thing running back to the speaker to carry the music.

hope this helps. dave

For #3 I believe you are spot on, the choke is bad.
for #10 the wire from the speaker to the dash is missing? there is a input jack with no wire and i can't find one runing through there. I edited my post to say that it wasn't in there before.
I have been told the brackets suck, one of the bolts fell of on each of them and it just snapped from the stress of the ride back. I would still like to have them replaced to give it another try with some loc tite on the bolts. Love your avatar btw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 pm 
Buggy Addict

gotta love ren & stimpy!!!

my front mud flap brackets are still there and work o.k. but those rear ones should not have been made on the swing arms. there is too much movement for them to last. here is a picture of what i did with mine.

Attachments:
april 2010 #3.JPG
april 2010 #3.JPG [ 151.45 KiB | Viewed 6410 times ]

1994 Jeep YJ- SOLD
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

kid4life wrote:
gotta love ren & stimpy!!!

my front mud flap brackets are still there and work o.k. but those rear ones should not have been made on the swing arms. there is too much movement for them to last. here is a picture of what i did with mine.

I like your buggy, looks sexy wanna trade. Did you remount the headlamps there, and why. Couldn't they be ripped off easier? And did you make the rear ones yourself. I don't relly need the rear as it only keeps mud off me but the front helps to deflect rocks away from me. And your looks higher off the ground then mine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:40 am 
Buggy Addict

i don't have those lights up top any longer....you are exactly right and i should have known better but i was trail riding through the woods (to grandmas house....JK :) and they almost got ripped off!!
i put 50w halogen bulbs in the lower ones and that's all i run now. i aslo moved my rear fenders up to the next bar on the cage because when i "caught air" the tires would rub a little when i came down.
as far as the ground clearance....i run 23" tires on the rear and got some 10" rims with 22" tires for the front. then i took the rims and flipped them inside out. now i have 2" inside and 3" on the outside. it gave me a little more ground coverage that way and they clear the frame at full turn. it handles much better now. i need to retire ren & stimpy and put a pic of my "new & improved" buggy for my avatar.
do you have pics of your buggy?

1994 Jeep YJ- SOLD

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:01 am 
Buggy Addict

he cant keep it home long enough to take any pictures of it

07 joyner 250
It's just a pig

Team BillyGoat - See the world from a whole new level.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:07 am 
Buggified

That is a clean SS 250. I am very impressed. Would rather have that then a 650

possible cuz of Headman, Olderthan, and EJ mac. I did not have the money 4 the parts to fix my buggy, they stepped up and gave me what I needed for no cost.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:18 am 
Buggy Addict

jace, it's kind of like family pictures...you put on your sunday suit for the photo but if they could see you any other time...... :roll:
my buggy cleans up nice but it sees it's share of dirt and mud.
see....

Attachments:
BUGGY RIDING 002.JPG
BUGGY RIDING 002.JPG [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 6215 times ]
BUGGY RIDING 007.jpg
BUGGY RIDING 007.jpg [ 1.7 MiB | Viewed 6215 times ]

1994 Jeep YJ- SOLD
 Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:36 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

kid4life wrote:
i don't have those lights up top any longer....you are exactly right and i should have known better but i was trail riding through the woods (to grandmas house....JK :) and they almost got ripped off!!
i put 50w halogen bulbs in the lower ones and that's all i run now. i aslo moved my rear fenders up to the next bar on the cage because when i "caught air" the tires would rub a little when i came down.
as far as the ground clearance....i run 23" tires on the rear and got some 10" rims with 22" tires for the front. then i took the rims and flipped them inside out. now i have 2" inside and 3" on the outside. it gave me a little more ground coverage that way and they clear the frame at full turn. it handles much better now. i need to retire ren & stimpy and put a pic of my "new & improved" buggy for my avatar.
do you have pics of your buggy?

I will post some pics of it they are kinda embarrassing considering what is broken.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:37 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

justwonderinginky wrote:
he cant keep it home long enough to take any pictures of it

True but its even harder to get pics of it in action.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

I got off the phone with tj powersports and they said that the bars breaking happends all the time on blue units and they just weld them back. He said when the unit comes off the line the welds are weak and the buggy has to be ridden to settle the metal. Now that it has broken and the metal has settled they can just weld it and it will be much stonger than before. Now that makes no sence. The blue units are the ones with the problems but all the units have to have the metal settle. So, what, the paint is the problem?! I'm thinking the line that made the blue units had issues with the welding, not all the machines need to be riden for the metal to settle. I don't know now, i'm gonna call a lawyer tomorrow to cover my bases before I send it back to the dealer. Tj powersports also said when I told them About the list of problems that they never replace or refund, only repair. Thats just great, I'm gonna have to keep taking this thing up to that pain in the a** dealer. After all this is said and done and the thing comes back to me i'm gonna sell it and get the hell away from Hammerhead. I did not pay $4300 for this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:56 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Come to think of it I had way more fun with the $600 pep boys bike. I think I might go with Baja Motorsports. They got one simalar for half the price. And I have delt with their warrenty before and they didn't give me 1 problem. Atleast thats what I think I will do untill Yamaha makes a buggy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:01 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

kid4life wrote:
jace, it's kind of like family pictures...you put on your sunday suit for the photo but if they could see you any other time...... :roll:
my buggy cleans up nice but it sees it's share of dirt and mud.
see....

I wish I was able to do that with my buggy. I too scared somthing else might break. looks like it was fun tho.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm 
Buggy Addict

wait for the welds to settle......happens with the blue ones.......
what the he77 is all that about. reminds me a story i heard about all of the ford mustangs coming off the line in 1977-78 were painted yellow if they were screwed up.......don't know if that was true or not. that was way before lemon laws....

1994 Jeep YJ- SOLD

Profile Personal album  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next