It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 am

Post subject: Need some parts.....help
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:46 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Been riding the hell out of my once mountain buggy, but now swamp buggy. I think I should have rejetted. Blew a hole through my piston. Anyway, here's my laundry list.

New piston/rings
thin copper gasket for head
Hot cam

I'm even going to go ahead and shave the head.

I went to eastsidems and nothing. So who sale's the best cam that can also hook me up with a good piston/rings/gasket
The thin copper gasket is optional, any ole gasket that fits will do.

I've been reading about the 180cc kit. Looks like it hasn't been working out very well?

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:21 am 
BN Elite Member

The 170 kit works great! :D Is your head and jug still good?
Stu has all those parts in stock.

Blade 50cc
Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:34 am 
Buggy News Founder RIP

Ditto on Stu if he has everything right now.

You MAY have a hotter cam already since we determined that your Xterro had the power upgrade for 2005???

Stu's may still be a little warmer.. I think his is even a bit more agressive than the standard cam in Twister (aka, eastside performance cam)

-Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:05 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Jabo,

The head and jug are perfect. Just a small hole on the top of the piston. It was an interesting diagnosis. Was riding just fine and then it felt as though it got flooded (lots of black smoke). My auto choke had been sticking on occasion so as a first step I did the manual choke mod. The xterro didn't fire up. Cleaned the carb...no dice. Checked the timing, coil, and replaced the spark plug. I thin noticed a nice layer of mobile 1 all over the new spark plug. A wide grin on my face confirmed it before I cracked open the engine.

You are right Steve, my xterro is 2005 as far as the cam is concerned. I'll have to take some measurements and confirm this. What is the easiest measurement to take and what number means it is the upgraded version? I imagine it is the maximum extension or the duration (psuedo diameter)?

I'll do a search on the 170 kit. I am sure there is a review and installation guide here if I know you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:57 am 
Buggy News Founder RIP

My Twister cam from EastSide has "SX 0502" stamped on he outside face of the sprocket, indicating it is the version with more aggresive lobe hight. I think James Lee spent some time on one of his posts with several cams and a micrometer... I don't have that data in front of me though. Basically he found that some of them are even more aggressive than the higher end stock cams. The difference would not be as great for those folks that have this SX 502 in there machine though. Models with a more mild cam, such as the Kinroads, notice more gain with the change.

Still... a gain is a gain.

-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:07 am 
Buggy News Founder RIP

Here is one post where we were discussing some of the differences between the various cams... it was stated that Stu's is more agressive than the SX 0502

https://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php? ... 0502#20098

-S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:37 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I am going to get stu to sell me one of his cams when I get the piston and gaskets. I looked into the 170cc thing. My case has MINIMAL room for error on bore before my lubrication system will be damaged like some of the posts I have seen here. Not going to risk it yet. Besides, with the cost and labor, might as well buy a 250 IMHO.

Thus, I am going with higher jet, milling the head .03" (Is that the acceptable standard?), hotter cam and see what that gets me. My current jet is a 127.5. I'll try a 132 and let you know. Need some new back tires as well. My front 22's are bigger than my bald back 22's. Saw your carslile post on 25's. Looks good. I also ditched my fenders long ago!