It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 am

Post subject: Carter GTR Snowmobile Conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:27 pm 
Probie

I'm looking at getting a used snowmobile and swaping the drivetrain into my Carter GTR. Has anybody done this with a Carter yet? The sled that I'm looking at right now is a Ski-Doo 670 (liquid cooled, reverse, carburated :( , and is currently running. The guy wants $800 for it but I think I can get it for $600. What do you guys think of this in a GTR? I hardley ever take the buggy out anymore because it just isn't that fun for me. I need more power. I would like for this thing to go 65+ mph and be able to keep up with my buddy's RZR. The 300 (modded which ever way) just won't do this. If I don't do the swap then I will probably just sell it. I like the Carter's body and overall look, but that 300 is better suited for a much smaller buggy. I think that the 670, if done properly, could do some major damage out here in the desert. I would love some opinions.

Brian

Post subject: Re: Carter GTR Snowmobile Conversion?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:40 pm 
Admin

Two points that favor NOT doing this swap:

1. Parts are hard to find for the front and rear suspension and drive line. Unless you plan on fabricating new parts or modifying something from another vehicle, you will be broken hard when something fails.

2. The suspension and chassis was not designed for the speeds that sled engine will give you. Unless you plan to rework the remaining GTR parts, expect failures.

You would be much better off finding a large chassis Roketa 250 or Joyner 250 for this swap. You may still need to do upgrades to handle the additional speed, but nothing as extensive as with the GTR platform.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:46 pm 
Probie

What do you think would have to be done to the Carter to make it handle the power?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:34 pm 
Admin

Look at the guys that have done front end a-arm conversions on strut based buggies and some of the roll cage strengthening they have added. (G-Ray, Mike34, KearneyKarting)

You do realize that the CV joints, half shafts and rear carriers are not available for the GTR and you will need customize when they fail?

Profile Personal album