It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 pm

Post subject: FLUSHING AND REFILL RADIATER?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 pm 
Buggynews Member R.I.P

How often does the radiater need to be drained and refilled with new coolant and water mix on CH250's?Everything seems ok with the subtank and when I pull the radiater cap I see no problems.I know an auto or pickup truck says once a year.Does coolant get weaken from time and miles?Hate to sound dumb but this is the first water cooled buggy I've ever had and I'm coming up on 1 year in Jan 2010.How often do you guys change yours? mancoman

Post subject: Re: FLUSHING AND REFILL RADIATER?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:18 am 
Buggy Addict

i would take a anti-freeze tester and check it.if it reads where you want it to be then i wouldn't worry about it.if it is to weak just drain some out and put some new uncut anti-freeze in it.
that ani-freeze don't come cheap.
i know some might change theres ever year but i just can't see the point of wasting some thing that is still probably good.i have never had any problems,now the oil is a different story.
also not saying to run the same anti-freeze forever though.

pud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:09 am 
Buggynews Member R.I.P

Thanks pud guess I got the only water cooled 250 in the world :shock: .Must be worth a few million :P .Bidding starts at 1,000,000 :D . mancoman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:42 pm 
Buggy Crazed

While antifreeze may test fine for a long time, there is another ingredient in antifreeze that you cannot test for. Its the lubricant for your water pump. It is the main reason for changing antifreeze. Change your antifreeze or change your waterpump.

06 HH 250
Fully stock ... but hoping to change that

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:49 pm 
Buggy Addict

mancoman wrote:
Thanks pud guess I got the only water cooled 250 in the world :shock: .Must be worth a few million :P .Bidding starts at 1,000,000 :D . mancoman

WOW, you have the only Dazon and the only 250 liquid cooled? You better hold on to that puppy. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:08 pm 
Buggynews Member R.I.P

Vagen rather change coolant than a water pump!!!Whats in antifreeze that lubes the water pump?...................Digger over 7000 bn members and very little response to this subject.I do wish my buggy had shaft drive like yours instead of the low chain and rotor guards that get me hung in the ruts. mancoman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:58 pm 
Buggy Addict

mancoman do a search out on the net on anti-freeze there are different kinds out there.if you look back i also said not to tun it forever.i was just going by how long you have had the buggy and how much it get driven.i'm sure its just got the plain ole green antifreeze in it and that type they say 3 years 30,000 miles that its good for.i just didn't think you had that many hours on that anti-freeze.
i'm not going againist vagen and i understand about the lubrication.
i believe in good maintinance life of a machine.i was just trying to save you a dollar.

car manufactors use different anitfreeze in there vehicles that what i was meaning on different kinds.if memory is wright you run a GM vehicle.
what does the book say on it.i think theres is good for a 100,000 or maybe even the life time antifreeze.
go out on the net and check it out and i think you will see what i mean.

pud

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 am 
Buggynews Member R.I.P

pud I got around 203 miles on the buggy and the vin plate says manufactured Feb 2007.When I say 203 as you should know these are trail miles or rough miles.Thats what lead to the ?Are you ready for the super cold about to hit us?I dread it! mancoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 am 
Buggy Crazed

mancoman, there is an additive that you can get to rejuvenate the lubrication quality of the antifreeze. I think it is usually sold in pint bottles. For a cooling system the size of a buggy, it would probably take about a tablespoon. A pint would last forever. Also, cheap antifreeze probably won't have the lubrication additives that a good antifreeze has. As always, you get what you pay for.

06 HH 250

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:46 pm 
Buggynews Member R.I.P

Vagen thanks for the advice.You still have not told me what the lube in antifreeze is :o .This would help to make sure I buy the right stuff.Let me know please. mancoman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 pm 
Buggy Crazed

I have no idea what it is, but its in there. If it has lubricants in it, it will definately be mentioned somewhere on the labeling.

06 HH 250

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 pm 
Buggynews Member R.I.P

Vagen I would think somebody here at bn could help us :shock: .What about dealers? 8-[ .Thank You. mancoman