It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm

Post subject: Pet/Fuel rooster question/problem
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
Probie

Hey guys! Nice to be apart of this community now, I admire all the help you guys give to all the other members, which encouraged me to join ;)

I have a Twister Kart 150cc GT, I just now switched out engines from another buggy, and looks pretty good.. I used starting fluid to start it up, it fires, but dies. We figured for SURE it was the Fuel/Pet rooster, barely little flow going into the fuel filter after we emptied and relplaced the gasoline. I hear theyre vacuum fed? I took the tank off and saw that nothing came out of the rooster.. Is it supposed to be like that? The engine is getting little or no gas. We cleaned out the cocks with the compressed air blower, and seems clean.. The little yellow stick with the wire/dirt filter is clean also..

Any help?

Thanks, Josh

Post subject: Re: Pet/Fuel rooster question/problem
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:15 pm 
Buggy Addict

if it is a vacuum petcock it will have two lines on it one bottom line goes to intake
top goes to carb.
yes if it is working wright it should shut off vacuum from engine pulls open diaphragm and lets the gas through.
how long did you try starting it some times it takes a bit before carb bowl fills up enough for the pilot jet to pick up the gas and stay running.
how long did carb set before switching engine might also have to clean jets in carb to.

pud

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm 
Probie

It has two ports, both go to the carb... I tryed starting it many times, I also cleaned out the carb a bit. It sat for atleast 10 months, but theyres no rust or signs of aging or sitting around.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm 
Buggy Addict

Dmogovan wrote:
It has two ports, both go to the carb... I tryed starting it many times, I also cleaned out the carb a bit. It sat for atleast 10 months, but theyres no rust or signs of aging or sitting around.

when you say two ports and both going to carb. on the bottom outlet on petcock is there a T in that line one hooking to the intake and other going to carb.the air cut off valve passenger side of carb.

if you work the throttle by hand on carb can you keep it running
when you clean carb did you take the jets out and look through them to make sure that they were open.

there is a drain on the carb bowl did open that screw some it to see if the gas was getting to the carb after cranking it over some.
its try to start so thats a good sign at least you have spark

pud

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 am 
Probie

hi there im having the a similar problem and been advised to up the fuel lines to 10/12 mm coz mines seem to just stop feeding when it feels like it

:?

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 am 
Probie

Okkkkkk, Soo, it looks like pud was right, I kept cranking it and it finally sucks fuel now, I can see it in the filter. The only problem I have now, is that it won't start up without starting fluid, and it doesnt have much power.. Im thinking that the carb needs to be tuned up? I'm going to take it to a small engine shop where i've always took my buggy to, so they can get it back running normal ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:17 am 
Buggy Addict

well i'm glad you got it started alot change the vacuum petcock to manual shut off.but i'm one that hasn't so far haven't had to but i have went to bigger gas line.
sometimes they try to get air locked.i pull vacuum line off intake and leave gas line off, hold gas line up and use my mouth and suck on the vacuum line that opens it up and lets the gas into line and filter then put my thumb over end of gas line get it where i want it and put it on carb,you got to be quick though :)
doing this for me saves some cranking on the buggy and starts pretty fast.

also on your gas filter there should be a arrow on it and you want it pointing towards the engine,if not gas won't flow like it should.

on it not starting with out starting fluid could be the choke not working.
also might want to look into adjusting the valves if you really don't know any thing about the new used engine.

and welcome aboard there is alot of info here and help if you need it and want to try getting it running better before you try the shop.

pud