It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 pm

Post subject: Axels for 800cc
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:23 pm 
Anybody try to buy replacement rear axels from a local parts store? I tried NAPA and even Chevy, but it looks like their replacements had a male spline on the inboard coupling, instead of female, like my Roketa.

Not in a big hurry (yet) but this is the weakest link on the ride, so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:22 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

Hey There ubintemec,

I have found it very difficult to find anything compatible at the local auto parts stores for these 800's.

Laymansm went through Sean at Team-Moto / Super-Karts. I have no idea what he spent.

A lot of us are having problems with the axles. What did yours do? Laymansm's CV blew apart. I think mine is on its way as well.

Best of Luck
SoCrates

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:56 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

hey guys, last I heard venom motors out of vegas has em.

mike

etc. etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:22 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

When mine go, I won't be replacing them with what is on there now. There are so many things about the MotoUS 800 that are pure junk. Doesn't seem to make sense to me to replace junk with junk. Maybe the limiting straps will solve the problem though.

I just can't wait to get home, get the buggy fixed, intall a turbo and hit the sand. The season is upon us in the Southwest! Only 3 weeks remaining on my sentence.

Soc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:16 am 
SoCrates wrote:
Hey There ubintemec,

I have found it very difficult to find anything compatible at the local auto parts stores for these 800's.

Laymansm went through Sean at Team-Moto / Super-Karts. I have no idea what he spent.

A lot of us are having problems with the axles. What did yours do? Laymansm's CV blew apart. I think mine is on its way as well.

Best of Luck
SoCrates

Soc,
I dropped my left side axel twice.

The first time (first outing!) the tri-bearing, engine side, decintegrated and pulled off the end of the drive shaft. I discovered that the brass press-fit oil seal in the the center of the large steel coupling, near the spline, had not been installed properly from the factory. It allowed gear oil to leak into the bearing side and diluted the grease. I guess it heated up and let loose. Needle bearings were everywhere inside the coupling.
The dealer I bought from was trying to help (I think), but soon sold his business. I ended up crashing the "Goldenvale Gate" (I'm about 50 miles from there) and talked them into giving me the part. That was alot of work, but didn't cost me anything.

The second time (third outing), my wife (the ultimate mechanical destructive force) hit a few whoopty-do's and that yanked the left side right off of the tranny output spline. That only needed re-assembly and fresh gear oil.

I got alot of great advice from Randy (Arebldr) about the limit straps and aftermarket air cleaner. I installed 22" straps on the back and put more pre-load on the springs. The right side axel likes to come up and hit the ALT mounting bracket, even though I ground a pretty good radius off of the bracket.

My first test outing with the limit straps and air cleaner mods will be this weekend in Ocotillo.

Thanks for the reply...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:06 pm 
Buggy Crazed

So far my new axles are holding up good after strapping them. :lol: I hope this is a semi-permenant fix, but I doubt it. If anyone comes up with a more permenant fix, I will be the first one on board.

I think we will have to have a splined hub machined, and then attach a plunging u-joint to it. Will be a costly upgrade :cry:

Chris

330cc polaris trail boss

70cc honda dirtbike

50cc suzuki quad

Post subject: 800cc axles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:21 pm 
Bannished Member
Bannished Member

laymansm wrote:
So far my new axles are holding up good after strapping them. :lol: I hope this is a semi-permenant fix, but I doubt it. If anyone comes up with a more permenant fix, I will be the first one on board.

I think we will have to have a splined hub machined, and then attach a plunging u-joint to it. Will be a costly upgrade :cry:

Chris

Dear Chris,

We have 800cc axles coming in. They are chrome and are thicker than the old Motous axles.

Sean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:30 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Sean,

That is good to hear.

Hey thought you were on restriction or something. Sentence over? :wink:

Soc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:50 pm 
Bannished Member
Bannished Member

SoCrates wrote:
Sean,

That is good to hear.

Hey thought you were on restriction or something. Sentence over? :wink:

Soc

Lets not go their!

Sean

https://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php?p=77857#77857

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:02 pm 
Sean,

What's the price on the chrome axel? It might be a good idea to replace them outright, before the problem, or at least have spares.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:01 pm 
Buggy Addict

Yes, he is banned for 7 days. Not sure why he was taken off.

LAFNGAS

05 Joyner Sand Devil

03 YZ450F

06 125cc SUNL Pit Bike

06 Rhino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:13 pm 
Buggy Crazed

I would be interested in purchasing before they actually break as well :lol: :lol:

Let us know the price when your allowed to play again :wink:

Chris

330cc polaris trail boss

70cc honda dirtbike

50cc suzuki quad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:57 pm 
Initiated

I think you know why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:39 pm 
Buggified

ubintemec,
I have a 650cc buggy with a similar transmission and driveline setup as the 800's and it has the same problems.

The CV joints shred.

There are a few reasons for why they dont hold up and there are only a couple of solutions for these problems.

Limited range of angulation from the stock cv's causes failure, either up or down. The stockers dont even have an equivilent range of motion as a type I VW CV which is about 12 degrees. Id say about half that, which = maybe 3 or 4" of travel before they bind.

Solutions include buying a lifetime supply of stockers.lol :lol: not a viable option for me.

Using the existing bell shells and equivelant spiders and bearings to fab your own axles.

So far Ive been able to fab my own using bar stock chromoly steel I had layin around the shop, but a better alternative would be some sort of group buy on a special splined run of something like IRS race axles that spool up which relieves stress on both the cv's and tranny made from torsioned steel. These are what alot of the big sandrails use, and if they can hold up to 100's of lbs ft of torque they will surely hold up to what our little engines output.
What are the lengths of the axles on the 800's from splined end too splined end? The cost for IRS axles is $150 each. The problem is they only come splined 33 and 28 for Type 1&2 and 930 cv's, none of which will clear on my buggy. The proper length and spline count on each axle has been the problem all along for me in regards too finding replacements or viable components to fab my own from scratch.

Also, while talking on the phone with James lee a few months ago he said he was able too make axles from a polaris 4 wheeler work. I sent him a message to get more info on that and what it took to make them work, and how they are holding up.

The actual CV joint parts like the race, cage, ball and steering bearings to rebuild the joint in the stock bell I believe can be purchased from parts stores for several different makes and models of small cars like the metro, storm, swift, and sprint.

cabred,

Whats up?

Dustin is a mod, are you? If he doesnt know, there is no way you would.
Dont throw this thread off topic like the other.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:18 am 
Buggy Crazed

Daniel,
are you referring to this stock bell??? (see picture) If so, this is also a problem. They are not hardened steel.

I have had my CV's and axle to an automotive axle rebuilder, and they did not have any thing that would fit for a rebuild. They said it was all to small. I tried to replace the tripod and bearings in the new axles before I installed them, but they could not match the parts.

A good replacement would be a great find, let us know if you find something. Sean has been working on this with us for months, hopefully someone will come up with an alternative soon.

CHris

Attachments:
dent CV.jpg
dent CV.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 3356 times ]
bump CV.jpg
bump CV.jpg [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 3357 times ]

330cc polaris trail boss

70cc honda dirtbike

50cc suzuki quad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

chris, dont you answer your pm ??? lol lol.

I talked to sean last night, hes got new "thicker" more HD axels on the way,
and should have them soon. once again sean comes through for the big buggy people. hes also got some low ratio transmissions for the 800cc buggies on the way as well and this should up the performance of our rails a bunch.

mike

etc. etc. etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 am 
Buggified

laymansm,

If it aint one thing its another! :(

Mine havent done that yet, but yes they are the same bell it seems. The shaft and bearings went before the bell was damaged on mine. If space wasnt such a big factor this would all be an easy fix. Do the 800 have the same clearance issues mine has with the oil pan on the Rigth side? A 3 1/2" bell is all that will fit. On the Left side 4" may be possible but the boot would probably rub.

I have a few more ideas for an "easy fix" (define easy lol) but involves welding the existing bell shells I have too extend them in order too flange a different type cv joint to them. The "tripod" bearing configuration is a plunger style joint for steering applications that is very weak, and shouldnt be on an offroad RWD buggy IMO.

For the horsepower/torque both the 800cc and 650cc buggies have, the inboard joints do not need to be a hardened unit in order to work good and to last, as long as the right joint is used. Basically the same style as the outboard unit. Cant just swap'em though since the inboard is a 22 spline female and the outboard is 23 spline male. Chinese stuff, go figure. :?

Is it asking too much for the chinese to build a buggy using cv joints from something like an S-10 pickup? :D
That would be wonderful, $50 at any autoparts store anywhere! Wishful thinking.:lol:

slimefink,
Are those "thicker" axles from China?

There are plenty of companies in the U.S.A. that can make an axle. Out of better steel and more than likely cheaper than the shipping costs for Chinese units. The last box O parts I got from China, shipping was over $1000 on roughly $300 worth of parts.:shock:
It was a heavy box. :roll:

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:28 am 
Buggy Addict

cabred wrote:

I think you know why.

LOL, guess that came out wrong. I meant, Not sure why he was taken off the ban list. Yes, I know why he was banned.

LAFNGAS

05 Joyner Sand Devil

03 YZ450F

06 125cc SUNL Pit Bike

06 Rhino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:50 am 
I haven't had any trouble with the outboard (wheel) side, so I haven't torn them up. They look like a typical ball & cage setup. I have thought about trying to add the same to the inside and get rid of the tri-bearing.

Would really like to see what Sean comes up with. I saw one of his prototypes at the off-road show in Pomona a couple of weeks ago. Looked pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:14 pm 
Buggy Crazed

slimefink wrote:
chris, dont you answer your pm ??? lol lol.

I talked to sean last night, hes got new "thicker" more HD axels on the way,
and should have them soon. once again sean comes through for the big buggy people. hes also got some low ratio transmissions for the 800cc buggies on the way as well and this should up the performance of our rails a bunch.

mike

Mike,
I do not show a PM???

I am waiting patiently for a fix. Looking forward to seeing what Sean's look like. Would also like to hear from James Lee about the Polaris fix.
If we could find an atv match, we could go to gorilla axles and have something fabricated for us fairly easy. If you look at the atv and sideby side cv's they do look promising.

I have heard there is a 5 speed with a granny low that may become availabe for these buggies. That would be the ideal for me, but only if I have viable axles.

Chris

330cc polaris trail boss

70cc honda dirtbike

50cc suzuki quad