It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:44 am

Post subject: Gear swap for high ratio tranny?????
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:27 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Just got a new/used Roketa GK-25 with the high ratio tranny. I'm sending the carb to get worked over by West Coast soon and gettin a slip
on pipe fitted for exhaust. Are there any other alternatives to get this thing to move faster w/out having to do the low ratio tranny swap or turbo? Maybe an internal gear swap?????
I've got new axles,tires,spun alum gas tank, lowr a-arms and new seatson the way and the budget is getting busted on this thing. Thanks Alex

Post subject: Re: Gear swap for high ratio tranny?????
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:45 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

studio5o wrote:
Just got a new/used Roketa GK-25 with the high ratio tranny. I'm sending the carb to get worked over by West Coast soon and gettin a slip
on pipe fitted for exhaust. Are there any other alternatives to get this thing to move faster w/out having to do the low ratio tranny swap or turbo? Maybe an internal gear swap?????
I've got new axles,tires,spun alum gas tank, lowr a-arms and new seatson the way and the budget is getting busted on this thing. Thanks Alex

I tought West Coast had a header and cams too. Those would help for sure. you could try porting the intake manifold and head. theres also shaving the head to increase compression ratio (if not using turbo). You could always use nitrous if you set up your ignition correctly. All of these things have been done before and info is on the forum.
oh one more thing you should check the trailing arm bearings see if they (the chinese) put the wrong seals in like mine that are too big. see this thread:

https://www.buggynews.com/need-trailing-arm-bearing-seals-800cc-t19477.html

SUNL 800cc - K&N + precharger, rejetted, manual carb secondary, mid/high rpm cam, Desertkart spark arrest muffler, limiting straps

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R - work in progress...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:48 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Forgot to mention that the buggy is for the wife and son when we can't ride 2 up on our quads. We ride mostly sand and some trail stuff. Doesn't need to break neck fast , but don't wanna get stuck in the dunes either.....any help thanks.....Alex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:56 pm 
Buggy Crazed

Punarambler ......thanks for the info.....I thot WC only sold the header with the turbo kit I'll inquire in my next e-mail to him. Also what's the cost for the head shave? If it's less than a few hundred the wife will go for it otherwise I'm in the dog house on this purchase....thx Alex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:05 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

studio5o wrote:
Punarambler ......thanks for the info.....I thot WC only sold the header with the turbo kit I'll inquire in my next e-mail to him. Also what's the cost for the head shave? If it's less than a few hundred the wife will go for it otherwise I'm in the dog house on this purchase....thx Alex

To get the head shaved you just take it to your local machine shop and tell them how much you want off. be carefull tho you dont want to take it down too much. I know there are some posts on here about it that tells the correct amount to shave. shouldnt cost very much at all if you do the work your self.

SUNL 800cc - K&N + precharger, rejetted, manual carb secondary, mid/high rpm cam, Desertkart spark arrest muffler, limiting straps

2003 Yamaha Raptor 660R - work in progress...