It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Post subject: Turbo install!!! 200cc gyb6 buggy
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:02 pm 

hey guys, I know this topic has been beat to death but, I'm in the process of installing a turbo on my buggy, its a 200cc gy6b engine and I guess my question is will it work? I've read posts where it seems that some had success with the rhb1 turbo (which is what I ordered)
please chime in fellas and give me your honest opinions!

Thanks Chandler!!!!

Post subject: Re: Turbo install!!! 200cc gyb6 buggy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:36 am 
Buggified

Imo.. Fuel management! A turbo needs fuel. A normally aspirated gy6 gravity system can't supply the fuel. You need a fuel pump. The gy6 can't supply enough reserve amperage to run a pump. The vacuum pumps aren't enough either. To accurately monitor fuel demand with dependability, a ECM and fuel injection is required. I too have read of moderately successful turbo installs but never read the rest of the story.. The practicality, dependability, functionality, drivability, the performance gains verses cost etc. It appears as though everyone meets a hurdle and drops the project. It took the auto industry some 40 + years and some deep pockets to get a turbo into our daily drivers and that effort was driven out of the need for efficiency. But please don't let my opinion discourage you. You just may be that guy who breaks this concept wide open! [-o<

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:26 pm 

A Your right , I've seen those who have had success in the install but it seems they drop off and you never hear from the project again!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:01 pm 
Admin

Another issue is how to keep the turbo cooled with the limited oil circulation and capacity of the GY6 engine. The amount of modification required to this engine would pay for an engine swap the last time I started adding up parts. I do not think it is impossible, but I do think the money that would be spent to make this successful could be spent on better options.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:37 pm 

Ok, so I have decided to scrap the turbo project, what do you guys think of performance cams?? And which one would you go with , high,mid or top end and are there any other performance mods you can suggest, here are my mods so far
Uni redneck mod
Supertrapp exhaust
Orange performance coil
Bolt Box Fully Programmable Digital ignition advance CDI
Iridium plug
Coil gas shocks all around

Thanks chandler!!

Attachments:
File comment: Here's a pic of my buggy, sorry about the mess lol
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG [ 2.32 MiB | Viewed 2713 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 am 
Buggy Enthusiast

I installed an EFI system on my gy6 150. You need to watch amperage but the small fuel pump sold by ecotrons.com pulls less than 2 amps and the gy6 charging circuit can and did run it. I'm not familiar with the 200cc gy6b but I assume it's close to the same. I seem to recall installing the larger than stock stator (extra pole or two?).

cdigital72, I know you're moving in another direction, but for anyone else interested, in my opinion, if you're going to turbo and you want to get the most out of it, you need a stand alone EFI system that controls fuel and spark. A carb is really, really difficult to dial in. But EFI is another hard project! look-ma-no-carb-t24379.html

I was going to turbo the gy6 but the internal oil lines that engine has put a stop to the project. I did see a build where someone drilled and tapped the block to gain access to pressurized oil but that sounded like trouble to me.

I went nuts and put a turbo and fuel injection on my cn250 and it is awesome. So, it can be done... but it does take a lot of work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:41 pm 

So I've decided to move forward with the turbo, since I've already ordered everything , I'm going to give it a go without the EFI first and see if I can dial the carb in and use my existing Bolt Box Fully Programmable Digital ignition advance CDI
I will be posting updates and pics

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:11 pm 
Admin

Some of the GY6 engines have external oil coolers, but I do not know if you can get sufficient flow through the lines to keep your turbo cooled.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:25 pm 

I'm going to tap into the internal pump , there are 2 brass plugs , one is a return and one is a feed I am told that it should be sufficient but we'll see lol!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:27 pm 

And I may order the same efi kit but I'll order it from AliExpress , it will ship from China but it's only $339 shipped, so I cut out the middleman!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Have you thought about draw through vs. blow through for the carb? Draw through will be easier but it makes incorporating an intercooler dangerous and not practical. And if you're going over 5 psi or so, you'll want an intercooler. You'll see close to 200 degree intake temps.

A blow through is harder to get right and requires some modifications to the carb.

I'd also suggest replacing the oil pump with a brand new one. It's a bit of insurance and piece of mind. Mine flowed really poorly even though it was within spec. The new one performed much better.

One option for the oil line problem that I looked at was the NYC GY6 oil cooler with an adapter that screws in to the filter location and gives you external lines. The price is obnoxious though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:11 pm 

Definitely going with a draw through!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:23 pm 

My buggy is new only about a month old , so I think I'm good with the oil pump

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:51 pm 

I ended going with this cheap oil cooler, I'll tap into the send and receive brass ports with 1/4 barb

Attachments:
IMG_0025.PNG
IMG_0025.PNG [ 605.23 KiB | Viewed 2612 times ]