It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:57 am

Post subject: HH250ss help: Clutch spring install/looking for a jet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:39 pm 
Initiated

Hello everyone! First of all... I spend this past weekend messing with my jets again... Looking at the plug, my 140 definetly seems a tad lean. And the next step I have is a 145. It runs up fine, and cruises at top speed fine (same top speed etc) then after about 30 seconds of that the idle falls hard and stumbles... When I let off the gas it sputters and pops some as it slows then I can get back in the gas.. so... I'd say that's rich. BUT I can't find a 142.5 jet! I've glanced through all the vendors on the main page and couldn't find anyone that carries this one. So if you know where to get it (or have one to spare) please let me know :)

Next- I bought the pack of clutch springs to play with... But man they're way smaller than my originals! On the original ones, one side of the spring is longer so it can slide into the clutch hole, the replacement ones don't have this, so even getting it in that first hole was a PAIN! I finally got one in and between a friend and I, we couldn't come even close to hooking the other side of the spring to the other clutch. Can someone look at this picture and tell me if my clutch is the typical CFMoto clutch setup... And if there are any tips on hooking up the spring if all that looks right. You can see one factory spring installed still to kinda compare the one I tried to install.. Thanks!
Andrew

PS- got my new rims and DOT street tires in today :D :D :D Can't wait to get them mounted and go for a ride... Although their height is quite a bit smaller (about 1.5" shorter than stock size) hope it doesn't hurt my top end too much that I'm working so hard for......

Attachments:
0809081844.jpg
0809081844.jpg [ 205.71 KiB | Viewed 3094 times ]

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:01 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

I have a vendor looking for a set that is longer, hopefully he will get back with me today. I will look and see if I have a jet that size.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:23 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

I have a 142.5 I can send ya

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 pm 
Initiated

Thanks Eric! I appreciate it. Still weird that my clutch seems to take a different spring lol

Andrew

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:25 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

yep, but we will get it fixed. did you get the email

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:41 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Its the same stock clutch my hammerhead has.
The springs will go in but take work. I preferred the white ones by far and they where easier to get in.

Buggy Junkies

Too much power is almost enough!

Check out our video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWRb_UbL_F0

Click on high quality its soo much better:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:58 pm 
Initiated

bige- Yes sir, I got the email. Thanks. I will do that :)

Steeda- have a tip? I kinda tried all of them... And really can't stretch any of them more than just a tad LOL

andrew

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:17 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

I knew they will work, just have to muscle them around :lol:

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:23 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

Pinch the clutch between your legs vertically and push opposite side of spring into the ground. Its hard I know I thought is this some kind of bad joke giving me mini springs? Takes effort but they do go in.best advice is don't use the 2 shorter sets of springs they are hell to put in and you will probably be disappointed when you do get them in. With clutch springs torque spring 17 gram sliders and doctor pulley variator my brothers hammerhead out performs me big on acceleration and top end he is about 7 mph faster all he has is 21 gram sliders and hammerhead performance kit. All springs are stock. Climbing is about equal. I'm testing doctor pulley hit clutch today.

Buggy Junkies

Check out our video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:28 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

One more thing put a screw driver tip inside the spring and press tip into ground with spring at 45 degree angle to crack the paint on them. This will make them a wee bit easier to stretch as they won't be glued to themselves by paint.

Buggy Junkies

Check out our video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:12 pm 
Initiated

Thanks steeda, I'll give that a shot... I will say I was sitting here at my desk earlier and had "popped the paint" on one of the coils and thought "Huh, that may help!" so I sat here and popped them all... Even the one yellow one I put the most effort into putting on only had one coil popped... A few were actually pretty difficult to get snapped! Stupid paint, lol... Now I'm just waiting for the kids to wake from their naps so we can drive over and play with the buggy lol

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:46 am 
Initiated

With confirmation from Eric (http://www.mcdonoughpowersports.com) and steeda that the springs were correct for this clutch, I went ahead and got rougher with the springs... I still couldn't just pull or push the springs to where they needed to go. But I did make a system that worked really well! I got all 3 springs on within under 5 mins... Including stretching out the one side so it would fit on the clutch.

HOW TO: After installing one side of the spring on the clutch, Take a pair of needle nose pliers and put one side through the hoop on the spring and the other on top the spring with just enough of the needle nose pliers sticking out the other side that a screwdriver can press against them. Put a rag on the side of the clutch near you and put your knee on it. Put the screwdriver against the clutch pad and against the needle nose pliers sticking out of the spring. Use the screwdriver to pry the pliers (and spring) forward. The spring dang near lines right up, you can use the pliers to fine tune your approach. The spring will catch the hole good enough to hold itself, then you can remove the pliers and use them to get the spring all the way in. See picture. I bet that will help! (let me know if it helps anyone :D)

Consensus: The yellow springs are too stiff... or... my 26 gram sliders are too heavy. When the clutch BEGINS to engage, the variator is already 1/3 or so out of low... So launch SUCKS! But rolling stops were pretty awesome! So, tomorrow, I think I'll try the softest springs and see what happens... From there I may need to buy some slightly softer sliders or something.

Stay tuned! lol 8)

Andrew

Attachments:
File comment: How to install clutch springs on CFMoto 250
clutchspringinstall.jpg
clutchspringinstall.jpg [ 88.71 KiB | Viewed 2960 times ]

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:39 am 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

you will probably need the softest ones since you sldiers are so heavy.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:32 pm 
Initiated

Now I know :oops: 8) lol

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:24 am 
Initiated

Okay- got the soft ones installed (white) and they were even harder to stretch one side out so I could get it in the first clutch lol... I would say just as hard to install other than that though using the above method. Removing the Yellow ones was pretty easy doing the above in reverse.

Consensus: The clutch definitely engaged earlier in the RPM range, but it was still just as the variator starts moving... I never paid attention to the stock springs (as there is usually the cover there) but they may do it as well with my heavy sliders... The take off performance was still not great, but this may be from still having the really rich jet in. I'm going to wait for the jet to arrive from Eric (thanks!!) and see how it does. Maybe toss the stock clutch springs in after that just for comparison sake and take note of where the stock ones start to engage etc...

andrew

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:23 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

I have some coming that are a tad longer coming. I will send ya a set to see how they do

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:57 pm 
Initiated

That sounds great, thanks!

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:27 pm 
Buggy Addict

I put a 5/16 shim in my clutch. Let me explain. I have a hit clutch but had to send it back, one of the pads came off. I should be getting it back soon. Anyway it come sith several sets of springs, ( personally I think the pillow springs are a joke, Dr. pulley if your reading). I only got to try 2 set of the springs before the padding fell off due to the bolt hole being so small and tight, I actually have to pry the clutch off, once you remove the bolt it does not budge. It's pretty scary prying something that's spring loaded. Back to the subject the clutch spring made a difference, it didn't matter which set of pillow springs I put on. So when the pad fell off the Hit clutch I put the stiffest set of springs in my stock clutch. My stock clutch performed just like the hit clutch with the same set of springs.It engaged at approx 4000 rpms. That gave me a weak take off, 'cause that's like 2nd or 3rd gear. This prompted me to try a shim. With this set up i can shift into low and take steep hills at a stand still. This is my current set -up(CVT) 15g sliders, stock clutch with Hit stiffest springs, white torque spring and 5/16" shim. This will change once I get my Hit clutch back but for now the low end is nice.

Greg

08 Trooper 2

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:59 pm 
Sponsoring Dealer
Sponsoring Dealer

that sounds like it works good for you. I have the same clutch springs in my 250, ( tried all three colors ) the white and red work best for me, I have the white main spring, 13 gram rollers, mallossi variator, and malloosi clutch.

I had my stock clutch and the red springs and they worked very good also. I have to try the new 250 parts every time I get something new so thats why I have the mallossi clutch in now.

the next experiment is cams. I have two I am going to try when my leg lets me walk enough to work on something

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 pm 
Initiated

Shims are for the torque main spring right? I have a white in there now... I'm not sure shimming it would really make a difference for me. I'm talking with Eric in pms... And there is a decent chance my sliders are just too heavy. He's sending me another set of slightly longer springs to check out though. My buggy is used on the street. So I do need decent take off *so people behind me aren't all mad* and good top end, to keep up. so my situation is quite a bit different than most with these. My low end demands aren't as high as most.. since I stay clear of long steep up hill roads (but do have low if it becomes necessary!! Hahaa

VenusFlyTrapShop.com

terraforums.com