It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 pm

Post subject: Restoring Baja Dune 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 pm 
Initiated

Hello,
I am new to the forum. My 81 year old neighbor hollered at me and asked me if I wanted an abandoned Baja Dune 150. I asked why he didn't want it anymore. He said cause he is 81 years old. It got parked in the desert and just got sun baked (sun destroys the plastic) and the rubber shroud for air system is destroyed so wouldn't fire up til I replace that and some hoses it looks like.
It needs 4 new tires.
The chain looks like it could be taken off, soaked in lube while I go on to something else.
He hauled it over with his tractor and he even brought the 2 seats!
The frame rails are rusty as is the steering column, etc, as we have monsoon seasons (heavy rains), but this is a restoration project I am up to, rather than let it continue to rot away. I got a bill of sale and we both signed it.
So I am looking at that chain as the first thing I want to tear into (I think), and I think it's a GY6 engine, not sure. It's new to me.
I am writing this post to document the restoration and time and efforts and $$$. I could use some help and hope you guys rock as much as the Kawasaki forum!
I don't know where to start, for parts, etc, and don't want to dump money into it. But want to restore it. I figure I can sand or grind the paint when I am ready for that, but I'd like to try and fire the engine up initially, so have to replace the rubber shroud and some parts.
Any help and advice is what I'd like to get. Any rough estimates, parts houses, and a few other things!
Like I am not sure how to get the housing off so I can take off the chain? Maybe I can pop the link I need and it will come off, I don't know, but that stuff.
I am in Tucson, Arizona.
I am looking at dumping maybe $500 to get it running and reliable, and can do most of the work myself (I hope), unless you have a better way. Like rebuild? Could be an option. I mean I have this engine, could swap, and get new install on there. I don't know where to start, and something I can do when I take a week vacation or something.
Should be fun, my main thing is to make it run and why let it rot? I think it was a nice gift from the neighbor, despite it looking beat down. I couldn't pass up the challenge.

Where would you start? Chain (to get lubed, cleaned up)? I have to get new rubber shroud stuff that is destroyed on air, but where would I go? Would it be cheaper to get a rebuild?

But slowly, I can replace things on it and take better care of it.
Should be fun (theme music for Sanford and Son!!!!)

Attachments:
sandr.jpeg
sandr.jpeg [ 262.97 KiB | Viewed 4254 times ]
baja1.jpeg
baja1.jpeg [ 448.14 KiB | Viewed 4254 times ]
baja2.jpeg
baja2.jpeg [ 464.52 KiB | Viewed 4254 times ]
baja3.jpeg
baja3.jpeg [ 450.29 KiB | Viewed 4254 times ]

Post subject: Re: Restoring Baja Dune 150
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:56 pm 
Initiated

https://www.bmikarts.com/PDF/Baja/Baja% ... 0Index.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 pm 
Admin

We have dealers listed that know the products they sell. Look in the dealer review section for trusted resources.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:40 pm 
Initiated

I think I identified the front tires! Pulled them off!
https://www.amazon.com/Sport-Tires-19x7 ... NrPXRydWU=
Old tires Karet Tires, 19x8x7 13F can't figure out what the 13F means. I'll work on that. The other thing is I am in a cactus rich environment, with VERY SHARP thorns and don't want to buy new tires and pop them.
Any thoughts or comments? Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:44 pm 
Admin

Front tires are probably 19x7-8. 20x7-8 should easily fit on the same rims if that size is easier to find.

Profile Personal album  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm 
Initiated

Ok upon taking off the front tires, I took a pic of front left and front right, to get an eye on what needs to be restored. The bushings etc, are toast.
What do you suggest replacing while I can? I am trying to estimate costs and priorities, but tires are off.
Also as evidenced from the image, I took off the old rusty chain! Took a good half hour to find the LINK I needed to pop, and a little bit more cause it was rusty, but sprocket looks great. I put the chain in synthetic motor oil for now.
I am thinking I should just replace that old rusty chain to protect the gears and sprocket.

So I think the 3 major things I needed are getting started. Tires is easy, just cost. Right and left - not so sure what I need or costs, and the chain...I think I saw $52 on Ebay.

What do you see? Throw out your initial estimates to get this fired up and for a test drive! I'll worry about the brakes later! I think from there it's the nickel and dime stuff, plastic, lights, nobs, should be fun.

Air cleaner is removed, looks like I can get a replacement for $81 delivered to my door. It was easy to remove the sun baked air cleaner! A hammer helped in chipping it away and off, leaving only a couple of screws and bolts! Rock and Roll!

Attachments:
rightfrontbuggy.jpeg
rightfrontbuggy.jpeg [ 363.26 KiB | Viewed 4188 times ]
leftfrontbuggy.jpeg
leftfrontbuggy.jpeg [ 337.31 KiB | Viewed 4188 times ]
air1.jpeg
air1.jpeg [ 191.96 KiB | Viewed 4188 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:45 pm 
Initiated

https://4wheelonline.com/atv-chain-care ... e.235499.0

Chain care for ATVs. Says....if rust on chain, it's time to replace. Guess what? I'm replacing the chain.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:14 pm 
Buggy Addict

I'm thinking the seat, and the steering wheel will survive, more on the steering wheel #-o .

"Engraver of really cool stuff"!

Social media, the "REAL" fake news!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:51 pm 
Initiated

WETSU wrote:
I'm thinking the seat, and the steering wheel will survive, more on the steering wheel #-o .

Here you go. In terms of restoration, I'm the kind of guy that will eventually change steering out, and reupholster the seats. It all just will take time and expense. No rush.

Attachments:
steering1.jpeg
steering1.jpeg [ 365.23 KiB | Viewed 4175 times ]
steering2.jpeg
steering2.jpeg [ 275.79 KiB | Viewed 4175 times ]
seat1.jpeg
seat1.jpeg [ 356.92 KiB | Viewed 4175 times ]
seat2.jpeg
seat2.jpeg [ 317.21 KiB | Viewed 4175 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:39 pm 
Initiated

Got a grinding wheel 4 pack plus a brush, thought I would give it a try. Little progress. Cleans up pretty fast actually, far ahead of schedule.

Attachments:
restor1.jpeg
restor1.jpeg [ 246.89 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]
restor2.jpeg
restor2.jpeg [ 389.68 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]
restor4.jpeg
restor4.jpeg [ 267.19 KiB | Viewed 4103 times ]
restor5.jpeg
restor5.jpeg [ 356.05 KiB | Viewed 4103 times ]
restor6.jpeg
restor6.jpeg [ 335.23 KiB | Viewed 4102 times ]
restor6.jpeg
restor6.jpeg [ 339.32 KiB | Viewed 4096 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:10 pm 
Initiated

https://www.gokartsupply.com/trouble.htm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:51 pm 
Initiated

https://www.buggynews.com/kill-switch-b ... 51317.html

Electrical issues. Thanks Max3. check out the youtube videos in that above link. It's a good place to start. Maybe I get a multimeter???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:59 pm 
Aftermarket Dealer

Any basic multimeter will do the work. You don't need an expensive one. All basic multimeter have the function you will need.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:05 pm 
Initiated

MaxP wrote:
Any basic multimeter will do the work. You don't need an expensive one. All basic multimeter have the function you will need.

It's been done Max3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multimeter-Tac ... 101224.m-1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:14 pm 
Initiated

https://www.buggynews.com/question-abou ... 51312.html Moving this thread here. I am going to do a bit more sanding, but am going to paint it rustoleum brick red, I guess I have to give up on the OE "toro" red look for now, get back to it. But I am going to hand paint the rails, scratching the can method for now, will hit what I need to with the can for the hard to reach spots, but will do a bit more sanding and hand paint it with rustoleum red. I can then sand the rails a bit (doesn't have to be perfect) but sanding it should help if I take my time and do it right. First thing is hit it with primer before it gets rained on. Will quickly sand it, use maybe quick vinegar, let it dry, prime it by hand. I just don't see how a can will be of any benefit other than spraying it all over and it being sort of convenient. I'd rather take my time and protect it, then I can get it back some nice color. Still debating on color, but I can use that gray can for the rims. I'll paint it and hit it with some clear coat. I'll try to hit the rails with red paint (havent decided on top, but considering black again, then clear coat it. Little bit at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:48 pm 
Initiated

Primer

Attachments:
paintrail.jpeg
paintrail.jpeg [ 424.3 KiB | Viewed 3967 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 pm 
Initiated

I had continuous ground and continuity when I set the negative wire to frame and also when hooked negative wire back up to the battery. That's where I am losing it when I went to ignition switch. This picture is just the wires above where the regulator is. The next picture is the ignition switch, but the wires are not the same as the video of MaxP. And I don't know what to do as it is not the same. So sort of stuck.

Attachments:
wirereg1.jpeg
wirereg1.jpeg [ 218.14 KiB | Viewed 3957 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:33 pm 
Initiated

Ignition switch...so I had ground on entire frame, etc, and continuity, but not sure how to test at ignition switch as it is not the same wiring (plastic) connector as MaxP's video, unless it is back at the engine? And then I'm not sure since I can't follow step by step, as it is not the same. Where I got stuck. Note 2 wires dangling on ignition? I broke kill switch, so not connected at moment.

Attachments:
ignition1.jpeg
ignition1.jpeg [ 328.75 KiB | Viewed 3956 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 pm 
Initiated

I am following along with MaxP's helpful video and stuck around the 13:35 to 14 minute mark, so I cannot tell if everything is working.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:38 pm 
Initiated

ok this gave me a clue, so maybe it will help someone:
https://www.buggynews.com/ignition-swit ... on#p275365 by pud » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:45 pm
i glance at my crossfire wiring diagram. my 006 sunl is wire the same just some difference in wiring color.
look close at the switch it should be numbered 1,2,3
black is main ground 1
green is ground for cdi 2
yellow/green is hot wire coming from solenoid 3
don't know what to tell you on putting switch back together
my switch is like what was said there not much
to start with out switch put black,green together,cdi gets its ground.
than touch yelow/green to black,green
when engine starts take yellow/green away its only for starting.
than to shut down just take green from black cdi loses ground and shuts down.
2006 sunl 150b,2007 rhino 660