It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 pm

Post subject: Which Winch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:31 pm 
Initiated

I'm going to install a winch on my 250 buggy. Which winch would the group suggest. I'm looking at size, pull weights, and battery drain. What are you all using and why?

Terranex 250 / SuperRun SRS 250 / Kinroad XT250GK or what ever you want to call it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:22 pm 

i have a 2000# on my raptor 250. i had to make a mounting plate for it and mounted it low on the front . it was only $49.95 at harbor freight. i dont have a draindown problem, i only use it when the engine is running.it is hard wired into the buggy, and the control box is mounted on the floor, between the front seats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:56 pm 
Admin

Most winches are fine for occasional use. What really separates them is the weight. Hanging a winch way out front on a buggy will affect your ride and handling so it's best to buy the smallest lightest one you think you can rely on. Warn costs more but they are way lighter than other brands. They use lots of cast aluminum parts so there's little steel to rust.

2 Polaris RZRs & a Dune 150. Ridge Runner--Gone. Yerfdog 3206--Gone (but you never forget your 1st!).
Buggy pictures, mods, ideas, how-to's:
http://tinyurl.com/8ltm8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:52 pm 
Buggy Enthusiast

I use a 3000# winch made by champion bought at TSC. The reason I chose that was the cost. I originally bought it for my boat trailer but the twister got it instead. It came with every thing like a roller fairlead, snatch block, mounting plate and a couple misc. things. It ran me a whole $59 on sale. Knowing the manager there I got a extra mount plate snatch block and roller fairlead for use with a diff. winch later on that Ill put on the boat trailer. As far as battery drain I haven't really seen any yet and Iv let all the cable out but 4 wraps and rewound it with me in the buggy with the brakes on and did fine on the battery.

2005 Twister Hammerhead 150cc

3000# winch

UNI redneck intake, gutted exhaust, 130 main jet, 45 pilot jet

9g rollers, 1500rpm spring, manual choke conversion

In the running for top "crash and roll" title current count (2)

Post subject: Winch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:40 pm 
Initiated

I've been looking into a portable winch system so that my buggy's ride won't be affected. Look at the Warn Pack & Pull 2.5 ATV Recovery Kit. You can find info on this portable winch in a bag system at www.warn.com/pr_portable_kit.shtml There is a good write up on the product and it features a 2,500# capacity winch, which has the ability to pull from either the front or rear of an ATV/Buggy. Check it out :roll:

21 gram sliders, uni filter, ITP mudlite 23x10x10 rear tires, Halogen spot lights, customized seats, RJS racing seatbelts

"NE Gang" member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:16 pm 
Initiated

I'm going to install a winch on my pgo 250 as I got stuck twice at the weekend...Would it be ok to install at the rear ? as there is no room at the front due to radiator.

Thanks

Post subject: Winch on
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:51 pm 
Initiated

I got a Gorilla #2000 winch on e/bay. I have mounted it on the rear with a home made bracket made from angle iron. I chose the rear because I winch the buggy back in first onto my pick up. I use the winch at least twice on every outing since I use it to load the buggy. I also carry a sand anchor I bought at west marine. Boaters use them to pound into the sand to anchor boats. This set up has been working great. Extracted buggy from both mud and sand several times. Will post photos when I get the chance.

Terranex 250 / SuperRun SRS 250 / Kinroad XT250GK or what ever you want to call it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:54 pm 
Admin

I use a hand-crank winch off the rear of one of my Yerfs. It was also a Harbor Freight special - You can find the model number in my 4209 profile URL. Until I have the 11-pole stator for powering my toys, I am willing to manually crank my way out the same direction I came in.

Profile Personal album  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:38 pm 
Buggified

I needed one today. I slid into a 5 foot deep ditch/creek. :lol:

Carter GSX150R2-10 Gram Rollers, Stock Spring and Clutch, UNI Filter, Bike Speedometer, Hammerhead Performance Exhaust, Bando Coil, Arctic Cat Rear Shocks, Arvin Front Shocks, Larger Battery, Kenda Max Front Tires

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:53 pm 
Initiated

I keep two come alongs on mine, a 2 ton and a 4 ton. been stuck many of times and aways gotten my self out without any real problem.

I had thought about a winch for a while, but decided to take the cheaper route. In hindsight, i'm glad i did. For short trips out in the fields, i can always leave em at home and not worry about any extra weight.

Attachments:
P_00023.JPG
P_00023.JPG [ 297.92 KiB | Viewed 4606 times ]
P_00022.JPG
P_00022.JPG [ 321.46 KiB | Viewed 4605 times ]
P_00024.JPG
P_00024.JPG [ 295.03 KiB | Viewed 4603 times ]

Dunlop KT331 22x7R10 Front

Mud Lite AT 23x10-10 Rear

1.5" Uni on Modified intake

140 Main Jet

Ngk Iridium Plug

3" Supertrapp w/ 8 disks

15g rollers

Post subject: Re: Winch
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:44 am 
Buggy Addict

mudpup wrote:
I've been looking into a portable winch system so that my buggy's ride won't be affected. Look at the Warn Pack & Pull 2.5 ATV Recovery Kit. You can find info on this portable winch in a bag system at www.warn.com/pr_portable_kit.shtml There is a good write up on the product and it features a 2,500# capacity winch, which has the ability to pull from either the front or rear of an ATV/Buggy. Check it out :roll:

Hey Mudpup, haven't "seen" you around here for a while. That's a nice Winch Kit. Are you getting this kit? Tom may want to think about selling winches.

I like the manual come-along idea, hadn't thought about that too much. I may have to pick two of them up for us. They should be cheap enough and I like the portability idea.

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:27 am 
BN Elite Member

Here is a Viper I mounted on my Klade. :D

Attachments:
IMG_0397_3.JPG
IMG_0397_3.JPG [ 772.94 KiB | Viewed 4356 times ]

Blade 50cc
Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 am 
Buggy Crazed

I also think the manual come-a-long is the best route. They're are cheap, light weight, and versatile. Unlike a winch that is fixed in one place the come-a-long gives you tons of options on where to hook on and pull from. Don't be scared off by the manual part, it takes almost no effort to pull a buggy out with one. Another advantage is no draw on your battery. Imagine winching your buggy out of a hole with the engine off (maybe to prevent sucking in water or something) and then having the battery be dead when you went to restart it.

I've got nothing against the electric winch, but I think a manual come-a-long just has a lot of advantages with almost no disadvantages.

Jamie

9 gram rollers, 2004 gear reduction, Uni Filter w/Redneck intake, Gutted Exhaust, Bando HP Coil, Sandman/Blister reverse bracket

http://twitter.com/spool77

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:03 pm 
Buggy Addict

I was thinking about how I could have used a come-along going down an aggresive hill at EMR. The trail went across an articulated route, so it was down hill and down grade (right-to-left).

At one point I realized that my front left wheel didn't have anything underneath it. One slip and the buggy as well as ACBlind and myself were going to be rolling down the hill.

Had I had a come-along with me I could have attached that to the opposite side and maintained a lot more control over the buggy. How I actually got out can be left for another story. It took us over an hour to get down that hill.

No one else has yet even attempted to do to it. Their the smart ones.

Heck I might even keep one around even if I did have a winch.

-

'05 Blade 150 DX: Moded (Hopster RIP) @ Brother's
http://www.northeastbuggy.com
National Bash 2011-Site 106

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:49 pm 
Buggified

My dad had to use a come-along to get my buggy out of a creek the other day like I said in another post. They take some time to use, though. Especially if you have to move the buggy more than 10 feet or so, but they work great and it's a great idea to keep one handy. But I would really like a powered winch as it would take much less time.

Carter GSX150R2-10 Gram Rollers, Stock Spring and Clutch, UNI Filter, Bike Speedometer, Hammerhead Performance Exhaust, Bando Coil, Arctic Cat Rear Shocks, Arvin Front Shocks, Larger Battery, Kenda Max Front Tires

Post subject: Re: Which Winch
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:38 am 
Probie

https://atv-guide.com/atv-winch/cheap-atv-winches/