It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:31 am

Post subject: 2009 asw 7150 carbide crankcase
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:17 pm 
Probie

So i bought a used carbide off of someone on craigslist for about $600. I put new tires on it, new brake pads, new master cylinder, unifilter, bigger jets in the carb and gave it a tune up. Of course the last thing I checked was the gear oil for the crankcase. I pulled the drain plug, nothing came out. So i decided to fill it with oil, when I realized it was pouring out of the bottom of the crankcase... Apparently the previous owner backed into something cracking the left crankcase cover.

My question is, what's my best course of action here? The crack looks too long for jb weld. Plus I would rather do it right and have a more permanent solution. I priced a left crankcase cover over at the manufacterers website and they want $180 for it. Can anyone tell me how big of a job this cover is to replace? Does the entire engine need to be torn apart? If it does what other parts/seals should I look into replacing while I'm doing this Job. Also are there any special tools you can think of that might make this job easier for me (I already have sockets, impact wrench, etc...). I'm really lost here and just want to get this thing up and running.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, here's some pictures of the damage:

https://i.imgur.com/1697cHT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JxMSHN8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gzm8VKW.jpg

Post subject: Re: 2009 asw 7150 carbide crankcase
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:12 am 
Buggy Dealer

I would go ahead and pull the motor and pull the gearbox cover off and check for damaged gears/berarings because thats most likely from gears coming apart or bearings locking up and it busted the case.....You will have to take the motor and gearbox completely apart. When you open the gear box take pics and post them and also for reference on how everything is oriented as theres several gears the shift fork/drum assembly and shims and the shims must go back right or youll never get it back together right.

You need (must have) a flywheel puller and it would be nice if you had the special tool to remove the starter clutch nut.....I use a screwdriver and hammer for the starter clutch nut but i have also messed a couple of nuts up like that. Other than those two no other special tools required. You will need a full gasket set and i think theres 4 or 6 seals.....I may have a case laying around ill pm you.

HH150
Gs Moon buggy 150
Many other random parts buggys (still never have what im needing tho :/ )

Post subject: Re: 2009 asw 7150 carbide crankcase
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:45 am 
Probie

Yeah after thinking a little more and doing some more research, I now see why the entire engine needs to be ripped apart. I was afraid it was something inside the case that caused that damage. If we finally get a nice day here (upstate ny). I’ll attempt to pull the motor out and take pictures.